Diet in Spain

Old Feb 20th 2011, 9:01 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diet in Spain

Originally Posted by jimenato
How do you know?
I base it on a number of things. Animals do far better on diets that are close to what they were evolved to eat. The McD's supersized cheeseburger, fries and Coke art pretty typical of everything that is bad in our modern diet.

Eat those every day, and how long do you think you will live? Far less than on the caveman diet you are evolved to eat.

Also, in the war, when rationing put people on short, but balanced rations, they were actually very healthy.

Finally, with our wonderful modern diets, we are the first generation in god only knows how long to have the prospect of living longer than our children.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 9:31 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I base it on a number of things. Animals do far better on diets that are close to what they were evolved to eat. The McD's supersized cheeseburger, fries and Coke art pretty typical of everything that is bad in our modern diet.

Eat those every day, and how long do you think you will live? Far less than on the caveman diet you are evolved to eat.

Also, in the war, when rationing put people on short, but balanced rations, they were actually very healthy.

Finally, with our wonderful modern diets, we are the first generation in god only knows how long to have the prospect of living longer than our children.
Your first and last statements appear to be somewhat self-contradictary and confusing to say the least.

I wonder if you can back up your other claims with the sort of scientific evidence that you demand of others ?

The fact that today's generation has a longer lifespan than previous ones is down to many other important factors in addition to diet.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 9:49 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Your first and last statements appear to be somewhat self-contradictary and confusing to say the least.

I wonder if you can back up your other claims with the sort of scientific evidence that you demand of others ?

The fact that today's generation has a longer lifespan than previous ones is down to many other important factors in addition to diet.
What I was trying to say was that our children with their modern diets have such high levels of obesity are unlikely to live as long as our generation, since we haven't been abusing our bodies so badly (generally speaking). You are right to say that I didn't express it clearly.

As to absolute proof. C'mon. This is general discussion, and not part of the legal system. On the balance of probabilities , I reckon I'm right.

So, at that level, can you prove me wrong?

Oh yeah, I wasn't comparing us to previous generations, but the next one. Important distinction.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 10:02 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

As to absolute proof. C'mon. This is general discussion, and not part of the legal system. On the balance of probabilities , I reckon I'm right.
You not see that little smiley ?
Anyway I won't let you off so lightly next time.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 10:14 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
You not see that little smiley ?
Anyway I won't let you off so lightly next time.
Fur enuff.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

Personally I believe the real danger food on this list is coke. Diet worse even than sugared though both are poison.
Every where Coca Cola and it's 'friends' goes, so does obesity.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:48 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Personally I believe the real danger food on this list is coke. Diet worse even than sugared though both are poison.
Every where Coca Cola and it's 'friends' goes, so does obesity.
Oh yeah. Screw the burger, that's not the main problem. It's the coke and the bun that will really screw you every time.

Diet coke is a filthy drink, I admit. The real problem with diet drinks is that they keep your sweet tooth going. I used, before I went on Atkins to love crunchy nut cornflakes.

So, when had lost a buncha weight, I bought myself a box as a treat.

I ate half the bowl before I started to gag, and the box went in the bin. It was so sickly sweet that I simply couldn't believe my sweet tooth had been that bad.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:55 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Oh yeah. Screw the burger, that's not the main problem. It's the coke and the bun that will really screw you every time.

Diet coke is a filthy drink, I admit. The real problem with diet drinks is that they keep your sweet tooth going. I used, before I went on Atkins to love crunchy nut cornflakes.

I ate half the bowl before I started to gag, and the box went in the bin. It was so sickly sweet that I simply couldn't believe my sweet tooth had been that bad.
I'm particularly interested in why you believe cereals are so bad.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

I used to be on a version of Atkins diet but with added fruit which gives you the fibre and helps calm the sweet tooth. I need to get back to it. It was really healthy for me but I slid, albeit very slowly off the track. And after 7 years I'm back to where I started.
A lot of people pooh-pooh Atkins but it's the only 'diet' that doesn't have you Yo -Yo-ing. As I said, It took me 7 years to creep back up. Though the last stone has gone on pretty quickly through 'trenching' because of the cold in our half-built house. The problem with refined carbs is that they're addictive. As Bil says, as soon as you lose that addiction it's actually unappetising stuff.
I need to lose that addiction again though otherwise you'll be able to draw my portrait just using circles!
Old Feb 21st 2011, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Cereals and low calorie food is one of the biggest cons of the past 30 years.

Cereals are processed reconstituted pigs swill, to which large quantities of sugar and e-numbers are added to give them any taste what-so-ever.

Healthy? You must be kidding
Old Feb 21st 2011, 3:38 pm
bil
Banned

Refined carbs are bad because they turn to sugar very quickly, the body doesn't have to do much work to get them, they can in excess cause fatty liver.

Compare the typical eskimo diet, where they eat blubber all day long, and while they ain't skinny, neither do they have the health problems we do, until of course they start eating western food. What's the difference? Refined carbs in high quantities.

I rest my case.

Oh yeah, if cereals are so good, why is it that my diabetic son in law was told by his dietician that even whole grain cereals are the food of the devil? He can, occasionally have a SMALL bowl of allbran as a treat, but that's it.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Sorry if this one has already been addressed, but I don't have time to read thro' 100+ posts.

I heard that extra virgin olive oil is fab for you when poured over salads or just consumed at normal temperature.

However, when you heat it up it converts into a saturated fat making it baaaad stuff. I've asked OH and a few other Spaniards about this and of course they all defend their precious product to the death. How can olive oil possibly be bad? It adds 10 years to your life ya know.

Anybody know if this is true or not?
Old Feb 21st 2011, 3:56 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Veleta
Sorry if this one has already been addressed, but I don't have time to read thro' 100+ posts.

I heard that extra virgin olive oil is fab for you when poured over salads or just consumed at normal temperature.

However, when you heat it up it converts into a saturated fat making it baaaad stuff. I've asked OH and a few other Spaniards about this and of course they all defend their precious product to the death. How can olive oil possibly be bad? It adds 10 years to your life ya know.

Anybody know if this is true or not?
God knows. It's lovely, but the calorie content is horrendous. A bit like mainlining lard.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bil
God knows. It's lovely, but the calorie content is horrendous. A bit like mainlining lard.
Jejeje
Old Feb 21st 2011, 4:13 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Cereals and low calorie food is one of the biggest cons of the past 30 years.

Cereals are processed reconstituted pigs swill, to which large quantities of sugar and e-numbers are added to give them any taste what-so-ever.

Healthy? You must be kidding
What about rice? Billions of people all over the world eat it every day. Are you saying that is unhealthy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.