Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Did someone successfully exchange their british driving licence?

Did someone successfully exchange their british driving licence?

Old Oct 23rd 2020, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did someone successfully exchange their british driving licence?

Originally Posted by Barriej
Ive already suggested to my solicitor for me to get the letter of entitlement. They said don't bother as the DGT wont accept it, they have had clients trying this already.

I wasn't suggesting that.

It seems that those of us who wont have our residency sorted by the end of Dec, although we start the process on the 20th Nov (after having been here 3 months) will unfortunately need to either
(a) submit the form to the DGT on or before dec 25th and hope that its accepted without having completed the residency process (something which on average in Alicante is taking around 8 weeks).

Without a copy of a valid residencia card or TIE an application will fail, residence is the #1 requirement and DGT will refuse to accept any application without it.
I take it you disbelieve that DGT are setting up the preregistration scheme then?

Old Oct 27th 2020, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

inbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by speedwago
Hello All,
In theory, British people should exchange their driving licence for a Spanish one before the year-end.
The problem is (for me at least) it is practically impossible to get an appointment to exchange the licence!
I swear I tried at least once a week, but more likely once a day to try to get an appoinment with Girona or Barcelona since May 2020!
I've also called DTG directly and they told me there is nothing I can do. I've tried to call the direct number od Girona and they do not pick up the phone.
In theory, is it mandatory to change it, but it's impossible!
Have any of you succeded? Any tip?
Thanks!

You could also try Tarragona.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 10:56 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VFR
Which they subbed out to the Gestor they use for all the mundane tasks.
I asked for a quote and was happy to pay what I felt was a very reasonable price @ 65 euros. Just like in UK Abogados, will employ paralegals for menial tasks.
A Gestors might have been cheaper, but I doubt it. I would rather use a qualified Abogado who I know and trust.

Last edited by missile; Oct 27th 2020 at 11:21 am.
Old Jan 18th 2021, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

speedwago is an unknown quantity at this point

So A little update on the situation, which is quite crazy honestly.
So As suggested by you I went to a gestor that took all my documents. Turns out I only have the NIE and not the TIE ( the green card) which is necessary for exchange.
Obviously, the TIE was appointment only and te only date available was 7th January 2021! The gestor told me to don't worry because a lot of people are in trouble for this right now so he was confident they would extend the deadline.
Today he said that DTG and UK government did not find an agreement and there isn't scheduled a meeting to find one yet!
Meanwhile, I find out that the 15th of November the exchange procedure was changed in order to "book" appointment for everyone and even if you need to do other paperwork ( like the TIE in my case) the original request date is what was valid! (at least according to this : https://www.thelocal.es/20201116/bre...g-licence-swap)
So it looks like that the gestor was not aware of this and just "phoned" the dtg and asked what to do, so there is no registered request of anything anywhere and they are not taking new request until / if a new agreement is reached! Long story short if I did by myself by waiting a month later I would have been fine (hindsight is 20/20 I know).
I read on the Uk gov website that the UK driving license is valid until June 2021 ... at least I have 6 months to figure out what to do.

Cheers.

Old Jan 18th 2021, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

So As suggested by you I went to a gestor that took all my documents. Turns out I only have the NIE and not the TIE ( the green card) which is necessary for exchange.
Obviously, the TIE was appointment only and te only date available was 7th January 2021! The gestor told me to don't worry because a lot of people are in trouble for this right now so he was confident they would extend the deadline.
Today he said that DTG and UK government did not find an agreement and there isn't scheduled a meeting to find one yet!
Meanwhile, I find out that the 15th of November the exchange procedure was changed in order to "book" appointment for everyone and even if you need to do other paperwork ( like the TIE in my case) the original request date is what was valid! (at least according to this : https://www.thelocal.es/20201116/bre...g-licence-swap)
So it looks like that the gestor was not aware of this and just "phoned" the dtg and asked what to do, so there is no registered request of anything anywhere and they are not taking new request until / if a new agreement is reached! Long story short if I did by myself by waiting a month later I would have been fine (hindsight is 20/20 I know).
I read on the Uk gov website that the UK driving license is valid until June 2021 ... at least I have 6 months to figure out what to do.

Cheers.
Hi. Its all bit of a pain aint it

Thing is I was told something completely different by an agent who does the swaps (or did as he now doesn't have a job) at least with Uk peoples.

You could only make the online or phone submission to the DGT if you had a TIE or other residency cards OR you had the email regarding the successful submission of the documents online for the new TIE.

My residency application went in mid november and the solicitor gave the notification of a successful application 2 weeks after (we still don't have a date for the finger print bit yet) to the agent. He took my driving licence and the paperwork and took it to Alicante and until I have my TIE he can't make the appointment at the DGT.

You may be lucky and they allow some extra time but as you say you have 6 months.

I wish you luck and hope you are successful.
Old Jan 18th 2021, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Yeah the whole thing is really really painful, bureaucracy at his worst, I was trying for almost 6 months to book an appointment myself, I even issued a formal complaint to DTG via certified email! And they only fixed the issue 6 weeks before the deadline without giving notification and they think they got away with it.
I thought myself since I was paying someone it would be hassle-free, instead, it turns out I has to still watch over the whole situation every once in a while myself... even the police station that made the TIE did not go easy on me (it was complaining the social security confirmation letter was 9 months old I'm pretty sure he could have checked himself if I got one!), I really feel not welcome here.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
Seems like you picked the wrong gestor and are now paying the price (did you really need telling what a gestor was on Oct 22 2020?)!

The green card is not a TIE and DGT are NOT talking to the UK government, never have and never will, two clear signs that your chosen gestor doesn't know what he or she is talking about. I wouldn't hold your breath for extensions to DL exchanges either, DGT have been very clear about that and the pre registration scheme was their solution to the problems the backlog was creating, it they had wanted to extend the deadline they could have done it then instead.

Having missed the deadlines then any residence appointment you get now will likely be as a non EU national and subject to the terms of that, principal amongst which is the income requirement which is now €34,000 pa for a couple.

You've been here for a year so have had plenty of time both to get your residency and exchange your licence so if it's 'crazy' it's only because you've made it so, not the fault of Spanish bureaucracy.

Best start studying for your Spanish driving test!
Old Jan 19th 2021, 6:28 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Seems like you picked the wrong gestor and are now paying the price (did you really need telling what a gestor was on Oct 22 2020?)!

The green card is not a TIE and DGT are NOT talking to the UK government, never have and never will, two clear signs that your chosen gestor doesn't know what he or she is talking about. I wouldn't hold your breath for extensions to DL exchanges either, DGT have been very clear about that and the pre registration scheme was their solution to the problems the backlog was creating, it they had wanted to extend the deadline they could have done it then instead.

Having missed the deadlines then any residence appointment you get now will likely be as a non EU national and subject to the terms of that, principal amongst which is the income requirement which is now €34,000 pa for a couple.

You've been here for a year so have had plenty of time both to get your residency and exchange your licence so if it's 'crazy' it's only because you've made it so, not the fault of Spanish bureaucracy.

Best start studying for your Spanish driving test!
cruel but true. I don’t get why OP blames others for his issue. He left it very late to apply. Been here how long?

WE chose to leave EU and created this and many other problems. How is this Spain's fault. How difficult will it be for a Spaniard to exchange a license in the UK?

Last edited by missile; Jan 19th 2021 at 7:03 am.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 8:51 am
Just Joined

I have exchanged licence in UK on my own ( you see I'm not British either but lived in the UK for 10 years) and the process is as easy as pay a fee online and send your European licence via mail.
Having done immigration both in UK and in Spain I can tell how difficult it is in Spain. The amount of paperwork is massive. You need social security, Nie, TIE, Empadronamientos and so on... in UK you just ask for a NIN and that's it.
I admit I was a bit naive and I just thought that having an SSN and a NIE ( which btw why are two different things? and why the NIE and the green card is two different things? The green card is basically just a piece of paper with the nie written on top!) was enough for me to be considered a spanish resident, but there is no denying that here bureaucracy is a way over the top.
The company I'm working for handled that paperwork for me, and I was able to pay tax and go to the doctor with those... but apparently not be able to exchange driving licence.
I didn't expect to be so easy but at least I was expecting that the DTG website for booking an appointment worked! And the fix to arrive as late as 6 weeks before? with Xmas in the middle that in spain means 2 weeks of holidays minimum?
There wasn't written anywhere I needed a gestor for that, at least on official Spanish sources ( I'm fluent in Spanish so I didn't even try to look at English info ). I phoned many gestor btw and at 8 out of 10 said they don't do exchange anymore because it was all blocked because of covid.
Anyway, The gestor said that It might be possible in future to still exchange the driving licence by going to the Non-EU route but at this point I wonder if it would just be easy for me to keep the UK driving licence and do a new one here in Spain.
The other option would be to organize a trip to my country of origins (when covid situation settle) and re-exchange my license there.

Last edited by speedwago; Jan 19th 2021 at 8:58 am.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Sorry maybe I haven't explained myself, I had the appointment for the "resicency card" on the 7th of january and now I have it.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

I have exchanged licence in UK on my own ( you see I'm not British either but lived in the UK for 10 years) and the process is as easy as pay a fee online and send your European licence via mail.
Having done immigration both in UK and in Spain I can tell how difficult it is in Spain. The amount of paperwork is massive. You need social security, Nie, TIE, Empadronamientos and so on... in UK you just ask for a NIN and that's it.
I admit I was a bit naive and I just thought that having an SSN and a NIE ( which btw why are two different things? and why the NIE and the green card is two different things? The green card is basically just a piece of paper with the nie written on top!) was enough for me to be considered a spanish resident, but there is no denying that here bureaucracy is a way over the top.
The company I'm working for handled that paperwork for me, and I was able to pay tax and go to the doctor with those... but apparently not be able to exchange driving licence.
I didn't expect to be so easy but at least I was expecting that the DTG website for booking an appointment worked! And the fix to arrive as late as 6 weeks before? with Xmas in the middle that in spain means 2 weeks of holidays minimum?
There wasn't written anywhere I needed a gestor for that, at least on official Spanish sources ( I'm fluent in Spanish so I didn't even try to look at English info ). I phoned many gestor btw and at 8 out of 10 said they don't do exchange anymore because it was all blocked because of covid.
Anyway, The gestor said that It might be possible in future to still exchange the driving licence by going to the Non-EU route but at this point I wonder if it would just be easy for me to keep the UK driving licence and do a new one here in Spain.
The other option would be to organize a trip to my country of origins (when covid situation settle) and re-exchange my license there.

Basically you have a big advantage if you speak Spanish. Just study for test and keep your UK licence( that's a real plus) . Most expats will try and do test and find it very hard. Without Spanish it might be possible but very expensive and probably only officially available in big cities. British arent qualified to teach ( unless Spanish speaking and fully qualified under Spanish requirements) so for once they will have to step out of their safety zones and meet the real world head on.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 11:31 am
Started off with nothing

When I exchanged my UK license it was very easy and quick. Not a "massive amount of paperwork". I had a temporary license within 14 days of my application.

You have made life difficult for yourself by leaving it until the Brexit deadline approached. Understandably it has become more difficult now. I expect it will no longer be as easy as you suggest in the UK either.

"there is no denying that here bureaucracy is a way over the top" - not in my experience. Perhaps the Spanish want to take back control of their borders :-)
Old Jan 19th 2021, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
When I exchanged my UK license it was very easy and quick. Not a "massive amount of paperwork". I had a temporary license within 14 days of my application.

You have made life difficult for yourself by leaving it until the Brexit deadline approached. Understandably it has become more difficult now. I expect it will no longer be as easy as you suggest in the UK either.

"there is no denying that here bureaucracy is a way over the top" - not in my experience. Perhaps the Spanish want to take back control of their borders :-)
Maybe you missed the point where I said I was trying since May following the official government route?
Anyway, it seems no point to talk to you as you are not being constructive here, just try to blame me and making ridiculous brexit allusion.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 11:42 am
Started off with nothing

Maybe you missed the point where I said I was trying since May following the official government route?
Anyway, it seems no point to talk to you as you are not being constructive here, just try to blame me and making ridiculous brexit allusion.
I find your rambling rants hard to follow. You were given good advice which you were very slow to implement.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 11:59 am
Just Joined

I did implement the advice the same day I was given, just got a bad gestor apparently but I don't see how this is my fault?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.