British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Did it all go wrong for you (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/did-all-go-wrong-you-369582/)

kevray Apr 24th 2006 6:56 pm

Did it all go wrong for you

I was wondering if anyone out there has moved back from Spain to the UK ?
If so why, was it to hard to get work or just didn't reach your expectations. would be most interesting to hear from the other side of the coin so to speak.
Regards
Kevray

jdr Apr 24th 2006 7:34 pm

Re: Did it all go wrong for you

Originally Posted by kevray
If so why, was it to hard to get work or just didn't reach your expectations. would be most interesting to hear from the other side of the coin so to speak.
Regards
Kevray

Still here meself, but a lot of people do return to the UK, I assume they find it harder than they imagined it was going to be.

Mitzyboy Apr 24th 2006 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
Still here meself, but a lot of people do return to the UK, I assume they find it harder than they imagined it was going to be.

I met someone who had moved back in Stratford on Avon and he told me Spain was all right as long as you weren't sick. His wife had become ill and they had made no provision at all for health care.

mervyn_plc Apr 25th 2006 11:25 am

Regards
Kevray

I moved over to Spain for work, was never going to be long term, was trying to experience a different way of life and was too good of an oppotunity to turn down.
While i was there some close friends i met while i was staying by the coast, moved back because they couldnt find consistent work to support them they found it to be seasonal and not very well protected by the government in terms of job security etc..

kevray Apr 25th 2006 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by mervyn_plc
I moved over to Spain for work, was never going to be long term, was trying to experience a different way of life and was too good of an oppotunity to turn down.
While i was there some close friends i met while i was staying by the coast, moved back because they couldnt find consistent work to support them they found it to be seasonal and not very well protected by the government in terms of job security etc..

My bet is that most returnees (is there such a word?) came back because of failure to find work. But its also interesting that up to now no-one has admitted defeat, You would think that with this being an anonymous site people would be happy to share their stories however embarrassed they might be. :D

Arco-Iris Apr 25th 2006 3:48 pm

My bet is that most returnees (is there such a word?) came back because of failure to find work. But its also interesting that up to now no-one has admitted defeat, You would think that with this being an anonymous site people would be happy to share their stories however embarrassed they might be. :D

Could be that those who've returned to UK don't follow the forum any more. There are many property re-sales in this area (Chiclana) but I don't know if the owners are making a killing, or selling up to return to their homeland.

As for us, it's all gone right, but then we don't have to earn a living as we're what someone described as coffin-dodgin', g & t swillin' pensionistas!

Hillybilly Apr 25th 2006 4:31 pm

Several people of my acquaintance have gone back: 1 (couple plus 3 young children) due to lack of work/money & bullying in school; 1 (young couple, no kids) due to lack of work; 1 couple (retired) for health reasons (suffered a heart attack at Xmas and decided would receive better care/would feel more secure back in the UK); 1 family (2 generations of) due to bereavement; and 1 young lad (in his 20's, with work here) to get a social life!
Others I know are considering or at least have not ruled out a move back within the next year - reasons: lack of (consistant) work, missing family and friends, health and believe it or not, the weather!

Chiclanagir Apr 25th 2006 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Several people of my acquaintance have gone back: 1 (couple plus 3 young children) due to lack of work/money & bullying in school; 1 (young couple, no kids) due to lack of work; 1 couple (retired) for health reasons (suffered a heart attack at Xmas and decided would receive better care/would feel more secure back in the UK); 1 family (2 generations of) due to bereavement; and 1 young lad (in his 20's, with work here) to get a social life!
Others I know are considering or at least have not ruled out a move back within the next year - reasons: lack of (consistant) work, missing family and friends, health and believe it or not, the weather!

No, sorry, I can't believe the weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are they masochists or is it sadists!

kevray Apr 25th 2006 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Arco-Iris
Could be that those who've returned to UK don't follow the forum any more. There are many property re-sales in this area (Chiclana) but I don't know if the owners are making a killing, or selling up to return to their homeland.

As for us, it's all gone right, but then we don't have to earn a living as we're what someone described as coffin-dodgin', g & t swillin' pensionistas!

so basically spending the kids inheritance, good for you :D

kevray Apr 25th 2006 5:54 pm

and believe it or not, the weather!

Well I can believe it, we have a guy at work who loves the rain and hates the weather getting any hotter than 21 degrees, Me, I'm a sun worshipper, cant get enough and I suffer from sun deficiency in the winter :eek: :D
So it looks like lack of consistant work is the main cause :rolleyes:

Hillybilly Apr 25th 2006 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by glynis
No, sorry, I can't believe the weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are they masochists or is it sadists!

They have found it much colder than anticipated in the winter esp with inadequately heated and poorly insulated old town houses.

kevray Apr 25th 2006 8:45 pm

They have found it much colder than anticipated in the winter esp with inadequately heated and poorly insulated old town houses.

Blimey, Never thought of that one, I believe it gets cold in the north of Spain but was under the impression that the south coastal region was mild during the winter, wet but not very cold, does it get much colder than 0 degrees at night?

anne c Apr 25th 2006 9:13 pm

Well I can believe it, we have a guy at work who loves the rain and hates the weather getting any hotter than 21 degrees, Me, I'm a sun worshipper, cant get enough and I suffer from sun deficiency in the winter :eek: :D
So it looks like lack of consistant work is the main cause :rolleyes:

We are a little bit afraid of the hot weather in summer. although we hate the wind and rain that seems to occupy nearly 3 seasons over here. we will just have to learn to love the sea/pool more in order to keep cool. it has been my dream to retire at 50 and, thanks to my husband i can do so. i am not going to let a little bit of sun (ho! ho!) ruin my dream.
anne. :scared:

Hillybilly Apr 25th 2006 9:49 pm

Blimey, Never thought of that one, I believe it gets cold in the north of Spain but was under the impression that the south coastal region was mild during the winter, wet but not very cold, does it get much colder than 0 degrees at night?

Oh yes! Last winter we had almost a whole month of sub-zero overnight temperatures. This year, snow. And I'm just an hour's drive North of Malaga.

jdr Apr 26th 2006 1:20 pm

Oh yes! Last winter we had almost a whole month of sub-zero overnight temperatures. This year, snow. And I'm just an hour's drive North of Malaga.

I live just down the coast from Malaga and through the winter evenings we always needed the heating on from about 4.30 ish.
I think when you live here you get used to it being hot and when it drops to 10 or so it feels freezing :D
Quite often we go out for a meal with our coats on and the tourists are walking about in shorts and vests :eek: