Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

DGT extends UK licence deadline to end of December

DGT extends UK licence deadline to end of December

Old Nov 1st 2021, 7:29 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DGT extends UK licence deadline to end of December

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
When you tell then you are non UK resident, as you MUST, they will refuse to cover you outright so cost is a non issue!
Incorrect, period!
Old Nov 1st 2021, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
I surrendered my UK driving licence and got a Spanish one. You have to do a health check and the woman only did the test to include driving a car. I had to go back to her to additional health checks as I had a shed load of catagories on UK licence and I wanted them all transferred onto my Spanish licence. There is a chance I'll be relocating to UK for a short period, so if I do I will reapply for my UK driving licence.

But when you return and try to get a Spanish licence you will have to take the test if an agreement has not been reached.

I doubt they would consider swapping it again.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 9:04 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

I already have a Spanish driving licence. Why would I want to reapply for a licence that I already have?
Old Nov 1st 2021, 10:09 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I already have a Spanish driving licence. Why would I want to reapply for a licence that I already have?
Because of your previous post which stated that you would reapply for your UK licence, You cannot have two licences.

I surrendered my UK driving licence and got a Spanish one. You have to do a health check and the woman only did the test to include driving a car. I had to go back to her to additional health checks as I had a shed load of catagories on UK licence and I wanted them all transferred onto my Spanish licence. There is a chance I'll be relocating to UK for a short period, so if I do I will reapply for my UK driving licence.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 11:42 pm
Banned

Sure Rosemary, when the UK was in the EU that applied...

But now that the UK has left the EU, can you hold a UK licence and a licence from an EU state?
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Sure Rosemary, when the UK was in the EU that applied...

But now that the UK has left the EU, can you hold a UK licence and a licence from an EU state?
https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...-after-brexit/

"Drivers can only hold one licence at a time. The type of licence a person has (either UK or EU) is ultimately a choice for them, although it may depend on the number of days each year they live in each country."
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 9:38 am
Banned

OK, very clear, one licence and no more.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 10:16 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
As to doing the swap now, Spain decided (or the Uk didn't ask) for an ongoing arrangement after Brexit.
As Spain only recognises licences from those countries with whom it has an existing agreement (and almost all of them are Spanish speaking countries)
The Uk in turn only allows swaps with predominately English speaking countries..
The problem is that the UK left EUCARIS (the platform which manages points and verifies licences) and now needs to set up bilateral agreements with EU countries. Maybe in the meantime the UK is just accepting any licences which look okay from the EU countries with which it doesn't have agreements yet.

Last edited by DLC; Nov 2nd 2021 at 10:26 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 10:38 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

The UK lets you keep using your Spanish licence until it runs out or you reach 70, but you obtained your Spanish licence by exchanging your old UK one, in which case:

"Podrá conducir en Gran Bretaña solo durante 12 meses si el permiso de conducción español (o de cualquier otro país de la UE) fue obtenido por cambio de un permiso de conducir no perteneciente a la UE."

So if you are in the UK for more than a year, you have to exchange the other way again from a Spanish licence to a UK licence, and at the moment there's no way back from a UK licence to a Spanish licence when you return to Spain.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 10:55 am
Banned

Good to know!
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

I have a English friend who is bilingual and has done the test. She is offering one off online class explaining the basic instructions ( Spanish) you are given and further advice on how to do the course.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
The UK lets you keep using your Spanish licence until it runs out or you reach 70, but you obtained your Spanish licence by exchanging your old UK one, in which case:

"Podrá conducir en Gran Bretaña solo durante 12 meses si el permiso de conducción español (o de cualquier otro país de la UE) fue obtenido por cambio de un permiso de conducir no perteneciente a la UE."

So if you are in the UK for more than a year, you have to exchange the other way again from a Spanish licence to a UK licence, and at the moment there's no way back from a UK licence to a Spanish licence when you return to Spain.

Good info'. Thanks