Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

"Desperately seeking SWEDES"

"Desperately seeking SWEDES"

Old Dec 21st 2008, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

angie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really nice
Default "Desperately seeking SWEDES"

Hey Hoe. well its Xmas again, and im still looking for swedes to have with my Xmas dinner!!
Every year im on a mission to find swedes to mash with carrots! Where are all these elusive yummy veggies?? lol
Old Dec 21st 2008, 3:22 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of
Default Re: "Desperately seeking SWEDES"

Originally Posted by angie mccready
Hey Hoe. well its Xmas again, and im still looking for swedes to have with my Xmas dinner!!
Every year im on a mission to find swedes to mash with carrots! Where are all these elusive yummy veggies?? lol
I was going to look for a sweedish forum for you when i saw that headline
Old Dec 21st 2008, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

angie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really niceangie mccready is just really nice

duh! lol
Old Dec 21st 2008, 6:33 pm
Sir
Just Joined

Sir is an unknown quantity at this point

Swedes are called "Nabos" in Spanish. But be careful how you use the word since it is also a widely employed euphamism for penis ! Don't go into the vegetable market and say "Busco nabo" (I'm looking for Swede/.........; because they'll all laugh and make vulgar remarks. But you can ask a female assitant if she has any in stock; "Tiene usted algunos nabos (plural)" and maybe get away with it. Good luck!
Old Dec 21st 2008, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

phew well thanx for telling me that!!! mashed carrots and penis just wouldnt taste the same
Old Dec 21st 2008, 6:52 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

The only Swedes I have come across in Spain have been very tasty and extremely satisfying.
That particular variety are known as Snowbirds and seem to fall right out of the sky in large numbers especially during the Winter months in the Canaries.
However the much harder, slightly more edible variety that appears right out of the ground is something of a rarity in Spain and is more suited to growing in much colder climes.
You should however be able to find the simple turnip,much softer and more flavoursome and ideal for the same purpose.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 7:07 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a Mercadona near you they should have them. I bought lovely little ones yesterday to put in our Cornish pasties today.

Rosemary
Old Dec 21st 2008, 7:33 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Also you shold find them in Carrefour.....hopefully
Old Dec 21st 2008, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

none in either mercadona or carrefour
Old Dec 21st 2008, 10:19 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Where are you living, I know Morrison's in Gib have them coz I bought some. Also my local butcher (don't ask) here in Chiclana.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Beware, nabos are also those white radish type things. (lovely, but not swedes) .... turnips do NOT fulfil the same function/purpose as swedes.. both good, VERY different. And not everyone lives near the Brit-serving multiples, please remember that
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:01 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

forgot to say that they usually only have small ones so maybe you are missing them when you look. I definitely got mine in Mercadona this time but can get them in carrefour too.

Rosemary
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by fionamw
Beware, nabos are also those white radish type things. (lovely, but not swedes) .... turnips do NOT fulfil the same function/purpose as swedes.. both good, VERY different. And not everyone lives near the Brit-serving multiples, please remember that
I do not live in a Brit area at all and have to buy the same as the Spanish people.

Rosemary
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

yipee!! i found some on Sax market!!! the lady only had abt 4 kilos so i bought the lot! im gonna freeze them so we are guaranteed some Xmas dinner, next year.
thanx for all ur replies x
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:05 pm

Does not take much to make some of us jump for joy and improve our Christmas, so glad that you have sorted this out.

Now I would jump for joy if I could find something that resembles stuffing for the turkey. Cannot find a good recipe in my books wither so if anyone can provide me with a good tried and tested recipe I would be very grateful and my OH would be delighted.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.