Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Departing Malaga passport control

Departing Malaga passport control

Old Apr 24th 2022, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Departing Malaga passport control

I visited UK a week ago at Easter. The flight was delayed as the passport control was done after we had gone through our gate. The problem was that many people were being taken aside to be checked as from what I could see appeared to be issues with their passports. Eventually the queue for the e- gates came to a halt and there was a fierce shouting match with a Spanish man and one of the airport controllers. He was saying that they should have separated them into EU and non EU lines. The guards were definitely being extremely thorough.
Old Apr 24th 2022, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark604
Exited Malaga yesterday. Hundreds and more queuing for the non-EU passport control. The queue was moving quite well though.
But were the non EU nationals (mostly British) blocking the EU lane and stopping EU nationals getting through? That was our experience.
Old Apr 24th 2022, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

The queue stretched from the duty free section to the left and all the way along. Several people wide. I initially had no idea what they were doing so started to walk past, until quite a few metres later when I saw the floor markings. There was only one place, to get round a display or pillar, can't remember which, where the EU national lane bent left and virtually joined the other one. After that the lane was clear.
Now I know what it is and knowing that the 'full' lane is for non-EU nationals there would be very little reason for me to be blocked from going the way I wanted to go because I'd just, politely but firmly, push/ease my way through if necessary though the building is wide enough to swing all the way to the right and skirt along until seeing the back of the EU queue.
As it was, I needed the EU national lane anyway so just kept walking past everyone. The was enough space and no blockages.
Old Apr 24th 2022, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark604
The queue stretched from the duty free section to the left and all the way along. Several people wide. I initially had no idea what they were doing so started to walk past, until quite a few metres later when I saw the floor markings. There was only one place, to get round a display or pillar, can't remember which, where the EU national lane bent left and virtually joined the other one. After that the lane was clear.
Now I know what it is and knowing that the 'full' lane is for non-EU nationals there would be very little reason for me to be blocked from going the way I wanted to go because I'd just, politely but firmly, push/ease my way through if necessary though the building is wide enough to swing all the way to the right and skirt along until seeing the back of the EU queue.
As it was, I needed the EU national lane anyway so just kept walking past everyone. The was enough space and no blockages.
That sounds slightly different from our experience. Our gate was right at the end of the terminal (Ryanair B25?) and the non-EU queue was on the left, ridiculously long, and blocking the EU queue hence irate EU nationals like myself who were rushing to board flights.

Portugal are shunting the British through the non-EU e-gates, partly in preparation for EES (bring it on) and to avoid this type of congestion that is unfair on others.
Old Apr 25th 2022, 12:33 am
Just Joined

lindasal is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope this is not a silly question but here goes, if a person is a resident of Spain do he/she still have to queue in non EU line or can they go through the EU check desk. Many thanks
Old Apr 25th 2022, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindasal
I hope this is not a silly question but here goes, if a person is a resident of Spain do he/she still have to queue in non EU line or can they go through the EU check desk. Many thanks
You are supposed to but last week when I returned to Alicante there was a woman telling people who were Spanish to go to different Gates and use their cards. I had my TIE in my hand and she put me in that lane. First time that has happened and I think it was a mistake , it's just that the Spanish all hold their ID cards on return not their passports
Old Apr 25th 2022, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

Lou71, I flew out of Gate B27 to Istanbul so I think we would have gone the same way but maybe the queue formed a different way.
Old May 31st 2022, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just an update - had a noon flight out of Malaga yesterday using a B gate as my previous post and there was virtually no queue at all at the passport control. Done and through in a few minutes. Initial security check was busy but about all the points were manned so only had to wait for the two or three people in front of you.
Old Jun 1st 2022, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

My dad flew back to the Uk on Saturday from Alicante and he said the queues were bad at the passport check in the terminal.
They were calling people forward one flight at a time.

They paid for speedy boarding and there was a control desk open just for this (its also the fast track desk for immigration I found out later)

Checkin for bag drop had 3 desks open and large queues, the lady on the desk said that there were not enough staff and added that they were lucky they arrived 4 hours before as the desks get really busy after 8am most days.