British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   definative list of bank holidays in spain ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/definative-list-bank-holidays-spain-275721/)

bfg69bug Jan 6th 2005 2:22 pm

definative list of bank holidays in spain ?

i´ve been using these : bank holidays as it seems to be pretty good. is it right tho, i mean, it lists today and christmas day as bank holidays, even tho there was some discussion over wether they are or not ?

does anyone use other lists? for example, is there one on telefonicas website?

coralsoft Jan 6th 2005 3:31 pm

Re: definative list of bank holidays in spain ?

I was told about this one recently, trying to find out if New Years Day caused a holiday on Monday.
http://www.qppstudio.net/worldholidays/spain.htm

There's a lot of local-only stuff in Spain. One occurred a couple of months back in the next town, but not in ours, because it's part of Madrid municipality, and there have been instances the other way, I believe.

cheers
coralsoft

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
i´ve been using these : bank holidays as it seems to be pretty good. is it right tho, i mean, it lists today and christmas day as bank holidays, even tho there was some discussion over wether they are or not ?

does anyone use other lists? for example, is there one on telefonicas website?

bfg69bug Jan 6th 2005 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by coralsoft
I was told about this one recently, trying to find out if New Years Day caused a holiday on Monday.
http://www.qppstudio.net/worldholidays/spain.htm

There's a lot of local-only stuff in Spain. One occurred a couple of months back in the next town, but not in ours, because it's part of Madrid municipality, and there have been instances the other way, I believe.

cheers
coralsoft

mainly wanted so i know when i can and cant go on the internet, so it has to be national holidays, not local ones :)

jdr Jan 6th 2005 7:21 pm

mainly wanted so i know when i can and cant go on the internet, so it has to be national holidays, not local ones :)

Today is def a bank holiday, its Kings day celebrated more than Christmas day in Spain.

I did hear loads of people in England got nicked for parking cos boxing day was changed to Monday cos it fell on a weekend.

jdr Jan 6th 2005 7:31 pm

That site describes it as Epiphany, no mention of the Three Kings giving the pressies to little Jesus.
They also spell a funny Andalousia :D

Nige Jan 7th 2005 7:36 am

In 2005 the "official" public national holidays are :
January

01 Saturday - New Year's Day
06 Thursday- Epiphany (known commonly as '3 kings day' )

March

19 Saturday - San Jose (Father's day)
24 Thursday -Maundy Thursday
25 Friday ----Good Friday

May

01 Sunday- Labor Day

August

15 Monday- Assumption

October

12 Wednesday --National Day

November

01 Tuesday-- All Saint's Day

December

06 Tuesday --Constitution Day
08 Thursday --Immaculate Conception
25 Sunday ----Christmas Day

Mercedes Jan 7th 2005 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Nige
In 2005 the "official" public national holidays are :
January

01 Saturday - New Year's Day
06 Thursday- Epiphany (known commonly as '3 kings day' )

March

19 Saturday - San Jose (Father's day)
24 Thursday -Maundy Thursday
25 Friday ----Good Friday

May

01 Sunday- Labor Day

August

15 Monday- Assumption

October

12 Wednesday --National Day

November

01 Tuesday-- All Saint's Day

December

06 Tuesday --Constitution Day
08 Thursday --Immaculate Conception
25 Sunday ----Christmas Day

I tend to find out whether it is a holiday or not when my video shop tells me they will open as usual or if its an important one they won't be.

These are meant to be the Andulusian ones.

1 de enero Año Nuevo
6 de enero Epifanía del Señor
28 de febrero Día de Andalucía
Marzo - abril Jueves Santo
Marzo - abril Viernes Santo
1 de mayo Fiesta del Trabajo
15 de agosto Asunción de la Virgen
12 de octubre Fiesta Nacional de España
1 de noviembre Todos los Santos
6 de diciembre Día de la Constitución Española
8 de diciembre Inmaculada Concepción
25 de diciembre Natividad del Señor

The Guardiana Jan 7th 2005 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Mercedes
I tend to find out whether it is a holiday or not when my video shop tells me they will open as usual or if its an important one they won't be.

These are meant to be the Andulusian ones.

1 de enero Año Nuevo
6 de enero Epifanía del Señor
28 de febrero Día de Andalucía
Marzo - abril Jueves Santo
Marzo - abril Viernes Santo
1 de mayo Fiesta del Trabajo
15 de agosto Asunción de la Virgen
12 de octubre Fiesta Nacional de España
1 de noviembre Todos los Santos
6 de diciembre Día de la Constitución Española
8 de diciembre Inmaculada Concepción
25 de diciembre Natividad del Señor

These fiestas are quite correct - though what you have to remember can be quite complex:

Firstly, the above does not point out the local fiestas - every town has two days allocated. The provincial one is indicated as 28 Feb in Andalucia Day. Many towns will take unofficial "downtime" during carnival (fiesta before Lent). Moreover, if in a year when many fiestas fall on "inconvenient" days, some holidays will be ignored in favour of others that fall on "better" days.

There are 11 national holidays, one provincial and two local holidays. However, you may live in a town where two seperate communities are said to exist so that "two" becomes four.

In short, let me know where you are and I will tell you exactly what days to expect as fiestas.

bfg69bug Jan 7th 2005 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by The Guardiana
These fiestas are quite correct - though what you have to remember can be quite complex:

Firstly, the above does not point out the local fiestas - every town has two days allocated. The provincial one is indicated as 28 Feb in Andalucia Day. Many towns will take unofficial "downtime" during carnival (fiesta before Lent). Moreover, if in a year when many fiestas fall on "inconvenient" days, some holidays will be ignored in favour of others that fall on "better" days.

There are 11 national holidays, one provincial and two local holidays. However, you may live in a town where two seperate communities are said to exist so that "two" becomes four.

In short, let me know where you are and I will tell you exactly what days to expect as fiestas.

its only national ones that matter to me, i want to know if i can go on the internet for free :D

Pete W Jan 13th 2005 9:44 am

its only national ones that matter to me, i want to know if i can go on the internet for free :D

I found alist of Portuguese holidays on the www.dhl.com country info link.

Hope it helps!

all the best , Pete