Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Declaring worldwide assets to Hacienda

Declaring worldwide assets to Hacienda

Old Feb 8th 2013, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Patrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Declaring worldwide assets to Hacienda

Originally Posted by Fred James
Or at any time during 2012.

Also if you move them into a different account, however you "wrap" it you will have to declare them all again next year.
Of course it isn't retrospective but if you have overseas assets that are generating income and you declare them to the Hacienda you could end up paying income tax on 100% of that income. If they are placed in an off shore portfolio bond (for example) that complies with spanish regulations you won't pay tax on all the income (if you withdraw it) - just an amount proportionate to the original investment (and nothing if you leave it in the wrapper). Also, if the policy is in joint names (i.e. husband and wife) and one dies the surviving policy holder would not be liable for spanish inheritance tax on the inherited value if the policy - but that's a whole different subject.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 3:28 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
why ? ?

Surely an IFA in the UK only knows about UK compliance not Spanish

Tried asking a UK lawyer to give you advice on Spanish legal matters ??
Tried asking a UK policeman to give you advice on Spanish road traffic matters ??

I am not saying I have a great love of/for IFA's but if someone in the locality is living and breathing the local laws and has tested them you should give them a little bit of space.

Or is this another Jacky post from your PA or the maid ??
Partly true but why use a British financial advisor in Spain. They haven't exactly got a good track record in Spain have they, thousands of ex-pats have lost their life savings and their homes with them. The majority aren't registered in Spain or the UK. Unless you are very rich you could find yourself paying the FA and administration fees more that you would have paid in tax. Still if you want to go ahead Domino, fine by me Let us know how you get on in 5 years time
Old Feb 8th 2013, 3:35 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Portfolios held in these 'Spanish wrappers' are automatically declared to hacienda.

However, having said that, I shall be declaring it again just to make sure!

Having read the legislation again, I thought that once you had declared your assets, they did not need declaring again unless their values had substantially increased.
They are declared for income tax purposes but only the holder can make the asset declaration unless they have been exempted.

As you say it's just not worth taking the chance with the penalties being so huge.

Yes, if the values increase in any one type of asset by more than 20k they must be declared again but if they are moved into a different asset category they have to be declared again.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

elfallero is an unknown quantity at this point

What about UK pension funds not yet in payment, do they need to be declared?
Old Feb 8th 2013, 5:15 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfallero
What about UK pension funds not yet in payment, do they need to be declared?
I'm not sure - there seem to differing opinions on this. Hopefully it will become clearer soon.

Logic says they should be as they are clearly an asset that you have some control over and hopefully are increasing in value.

Conversely, annuities, over which you no longest have any control have to be declared. It may be that pension funds, while they are interest producing, are not taxable until you take the lump sum and convert to an annuity or draw down scheme. Annuities are clearly taxable from the day they are created.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 5:30 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

My tax gestor told me that HE had been told that a pension fund need not be declared, until it became an annuity. He has a copy of the decree on his desk and said it was like being back in university studies
Old Feb 8th 2013, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

I think confusing is a very good description.

I've seen two opinions which say you have to declare a company pension ( I.e a defined benefits scheme), and two which say they don't think you do. Who on earth do you believe ?, and how do you find the definitive answer. And what about government pensions which you don't even declare for tax in Spain ?

With regards to pension plans not in payment, I think it's made clear in the. Q&A on the Hacienda website that you don't have to declare it whilst it's not in payment.

Last edited by CapnBilly; Feb 8th 2013 at 6:14 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Income can only be taxed 'once in your hands' If it never touches it the argument is that you never had it.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Patrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Partly true but why use a British financial advisor in Spain. They haven't exactly got a good track record in Spain have they, thousands of ex-pats have lost their life savings and their homes with them. The majority aren't registered in Spain or the UK. Unless you are very rich you could find yourself paying the FA and administration fees more that you would have paid in tax. Still if you want to go ahead Domino, fine by me Let us know how you get on in 5 years time
You are quite right, there have been and still are 'advisors' in Spain who are to be avoided. Hopefully that is becoming less the case these days. If you choose an advisor from a regulated firm they should have professional indemnity insurance in place. This type of insurance is very hard to get these days and is required by most regulaters (the FSC in Gibraltar for example). The insurers are only covering the most reputable firms which should lead to those firms in turn being very compliant so as not to incur compensation claim risk and put their PII at risk.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CapnBilly
I think confusing is a very good description.

I've seen two opinions which say you have to declare a company pension ( I.e a defined benefits scheme), and two which say they don't think you do. Who on earth do you believe ?, and how do you find the definitive answer. And what about government pensions which you don't even declare for tax in Spain ?

With regards to pension plans not in payment, I think it's made clear in the. Q&A on the Hacienda website that you don't have to declare it whilst it's not in payment.
Correct. It's very ambiguous regarding UK pensions. This is always a grey area in Spain as the authorities don't view them in the same way we do.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick2976
Correct. It's very ambiguous regarding UK pensions. This is always a grey area in Spain as the authorities don't view them in the same way we do.
Clearly annuities have to be declared but my view would be that if it not entirely clear what has to be declared with regard to pension funds, I would declare them.

You cannot be fined for declaring something that was exempted but if you are wrong you will be fined.

I am sure that there will be a lot of professional advice appearing over the next two months that will clarify the situation.

I have already completed my online declaration but I will not be submitting it until it is exactly clear how the rules will be interpreted.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Clearly annuities have to be declared but my view would be that if it not entirely clear what has to be declared with regard to pension funds, I would declare them.

You cannot be fined for declaring something that was exempted but if you are wrong you will be fined.

I am sure that there will be a lot of professional advice appearing over the next two months that will clarify the situation.

I have already completed my online declaration but I will not be submitting it until it is exactly clear how the rules will be interpreted.
Yes, I think the main target is income generating assets (annuities) or larger assets that may push residents over the wealth tax threshold. You could argue that a UK pension in drawdown is already taxed and so subject to the double taxation treaty but a frozen/untouched UK pension? I would be concerned how they will veiw that if I was close to the wealth tax level. Otherwise it shouldn't be a problem as it's not providing income. In theory...
Old Feb 9th 2013, 10:05 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm quoting a professional who has the document on his desk
Trouble is, every professional may have their own take on it
Old Feb 9th 2013, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'm quoting a professional who has the document on his desk
Trouble is, every professional may have their own take on it
That's going to be the real problem.

As Patrick2796 said:-

I know a few people who have had problems with some "professionals" trying to get their annuities taxed at the reduced rates.

The problem is that the Spanish wording of the asset types is not totally comprehensive. It mentions annuities and life insurance specifically but not pension plans as such. However you could consider them as investments in a financial institution so they could be construed to fall into that category or even as life insurance on the basis that they pay out on the death of the insured.

Luckily I don't have one so I don't have a problem.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

That's going to be the real problem.

As Patrick2796 said:-

I know a few people who have had problems with some "professionals" trying to get their annuities taxed at the reduced rates.

The problem is that the Spanish wording of the asset types is not totally comprehensive. It mentions annuities and life insurance specifically but not pension plans as such. However you could consider them as investments in a financial institution so they could be construed to fall into that category or even as life insurance on the basis that they pay out on the death of the insured.

Luckily I don't have one so I don't have a problem.
Yes, those with a QROPS will be fine as it will either be off shore in the aforementioned tax wrapper or already declared to the hacienda with minimal tax liabilities if on drawdown. However if you have a UK pension I'm sure it will be tempting to adopt the 'let them find me attitude'. Not advisable but understandable.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.