Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Declaring worldwide assets to Hacienda

Declaring worldwide assets to Hacienda

Old May 1st 2013, 4:03 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Declaring worldwide assets to Hacienda

Originally Posted by cricketman
If you "wait and see" i.e. dont declare your overseas assets to hacienda - and then they catch you, then they can fine you 10,000 euros and take up to 100% of the asset

Again my sister-in-law says that with the new exchange of information laws then all hacienda will need to do is type in your NIE or passport number to see all bank accounts and assets that you hold across the world
It would be very interesting to see how the Spanish government could actually take away a house in the UK to pay a fine for none declaration of the asset.

they would have to go through a court process, and imagine the uproar if the local MP in the UK did not help his constituent.
Old May 1st 2013, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Razorbill has a spectacular aura aboutRazorbill has a spectacular aura aboutRazorbill has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by me me
I know of a few people who have declared their properties and in one case bank accounts too, they went to get their residency recinded a couple of weeks ago.

One couple have been in the UK on and off since the new they year, and are buying a house in the UK to live in before the summer.

They know that they have done the declaration 2012, but they are sure they will not have to make a residents declaration for the year ending 2013, which I presume is right.
So their new property will not have to be declared anyway.

As they are both of a certain age, they see it as the best way forward for them.
Going non-resident is the first step. The next is moving all the bank accounts so they can't get to the money!
Old May 1st 2013, 4:17 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Razorbill
Going non-resident is the first step. The next is moving all the bank accounts so they can't get to the money!
Very sharp, hence the name Razorbill.
Old May 1st 2013, 4:18 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

It would be very interesting to see how the Spanish government could actually take away a house in the UK to pay a fine for none declaration of the asset.

they would have to go through a court process, and imagine the uproar if the local MP in the UK did not help his constituent.
But he wouldn't be a constituent would he (as he's resident in Spain)?
Old May 1st 2013, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Razorbill has a spectacular aura aboutRazorbill has a spectacular aura aboutRazorbill has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by snikpoh
You cannot vote in Spain even if you are a resident. You get a postal vote for your UK member of parliament.
Old May 1st 2013, 4:24 pm
Banned

I am sure that if someone who was being threatened by having their UK property confiscated by Hacienda, they would take every step to drop their Spanish residency and get back to the UK sharpish. They would not hang around and watch the proceedings from afar.

I know I would, I would be drumming up a huge stonking protest group, and with the feelings of the British public that are against the EU (running higher every week)and its rules, there would be no shortage of protesters against the measure taken by hacienda.

It is one thing to knock down what is classed as an illegal build in Spain, as in the case of the Priors, but quite another when the asset is on British soil.
Old May 1st 2013, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to behold

I know of a few people who have declared their properties and in one case bank accounts too, they went to get their residency recinded a couple of weeks ago.

One couple have been in the UK on and off since the new they year, and are buying a house in the UK to live in before the summer.

They know that they have done the declaration 2012, but they are sure they will not have to make a residents declaration for the year ending 2013, which I presume is right.

As they are both of a certain age, they see it as the best way forward for them.
Non residency is the first step and then change accounts to different ones, even things like premium bonds can be cashed & re-bought a few months later, seemto get more wins if you do this every couple of years for some reason.

It will be pretty difficult to get money out of accounts declared on the 720 that are subsequently closed and monies spent on an offsprings wedding, uni fees or new car for an 18 or 21st birthday.
Old May 1st 2013, 5:18 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

On a side note, it's interesting to note just how many people this thread has attracted in 3 months.

Not only posters, but most especially viewings.

I reckon there must be a hell of a lot of very worried people out there !!!
Old May 1st 2013, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
On a side note, it's interesting to note just how many people this thread has attracted in 3 months.

Not only posters, but most especially viewings.

I reckon there must be a hell of a lot of very worried people out there !!!
Or maybe not worried at all, just taken the information they needed to know and decided what is the best course of action for their own individual circumstances and acted accordingly, without plastering their business all over t'intenet.

At least the thread is acting as a good information source with a bit of debate thrown in for good measure.
Old May 1st 2013, 5:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jennieJ
Or maybe not worried at all, just taken the information they needed to know and decided what is the best course of action for their own individual circumstances and acted accordingly, without plastering their business all over t'intenet.

At least the thread is acting as a good information source with a bit of debate thrown in for good measure.
Good points Jennie.

Some see it as an on going re-adjustment.

Taking it step by step and doing each bit as and when possible.

a lot of people are not prepared to roll into a ball and wait for the storm to hit
Old May 1st 2013, 7:44 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
If you "wait and see" i.e. dont declare your overseas assets to hacienda - and then they catch you, then they can fine you 10,000 euros and take up to 100% of the asset

Again my sister-in-law says that with the new exchange of information laws then all hacienda will need to do is type in your NIE or passport number to see all bank accounts and assets that you hold across the world
Not that simple, the exchange of information doesn't work like that. forms have to be filled in and there has to be a good reason for passing on info' ie. money laundering etc
Old May 1st 2013, 7:52 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Something of an understatement I think as far as many others are concerned.

I certainly didn't come down here with the intention of spending half my life filling forms in then wondering or worrying if I got it right.

I hoped I'd left excessive bureaucracy behind in the UK.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; May 1st 2013 at 7:57 pm. Reason: add on
Old May 1st 2013, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes agree with that. I informed the people I spoke to of that but as MeMe says they were prepared to make the declaration then looking at possibility of becoming non resident in order to protect their assets from what? may come. Could of course be an over reaction but that is the problem who knows what the big plan is. One of the Gestors mentioned to them that it was a forerunner for wealth tax changes. Speculation no doubt but given the uncertainty no wonder people are worried/scared.
Old May 1st 2013, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

That is true but the house would be in their old constituency and lets not forget they are British Citizens who to comply with Spanish law have become Spanish Tax resident not Spanish Citizens.
Old May 1st 2013, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Good points Jennie.

Taking it step by step and doing each bit as and when possible.

a lot of people are not prepared to roll into a ball and wait for the storm to hit
Me too hence staying non resident until the dust settles I will also re looking at our wills and their wording to prevent possibility of paying inheritance tax in Spain on our UK property.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.