Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Declaring worldwide assets to Hacienda

Declaring worldwide assets to Hacienda

Old Feb 3rd 2013, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Declaring worldwide assets to Hacienda

Will this new legislation be applied to Spanish nationals employed by the state who have undeclared monies in Swiss and Argentine bank accounts?
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 4:01 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenox
I write a weekly newsletter about Spain for foreign property owners called 'Business over Tapas'. here's last week's piece on this tax:
.... ....
I understand Gestors have been told by Hacienda to send out this sort of notice to any resident with whom they deal. And that includes people who may not have “official “ residence, but who live here more than 183 days in any calendar year. The Gestors are also supposed to inform Hacienda if they know there is any irregularity in the declaration - or if some “non-resident” is actually living here. That’s also supposed to be the case with asset/fund managers of which there are many operating here and with portfolios that include assets held outside Spain. Gestors like lawyers here (unlike in other countries) won’t sign tax returns, letters etc. so you carry the responsibility for any of their errors, as your gestor states below.
The problem is that some of the assets to be reported upon don’t fit the scheme here. It’s hard to see how systems used in at least some other countries can be broken down to meet the requirements under this Royal Decree. If you have a stock portfolio, do you have to report only on the total of the portfolio or each share, stock, bond, etc. held in that portfolio? Who has that sort of information? Stocks and bonds etc. are bought and sold often within portfolios- it appears that would have to be reported. Worse, any error, unintentional ones included, is automatically your fault. The fines start at a €10,000 minimum- €5,000 for each undeclared asset. What isn’t mentioned below is that if the fine adds up to over €120,000 you may fall under the criminal code. Conviction could have very serious consequences, effectively including fines that exceed the value of the assets concerned and even travel restrictions lasting for years.
The form to be used, so I read, is like the existing wealth declaration one - that is, it’s very detailed and complex and it will be difficult for many people here to assemble the information and prepare the declarations by the April deadline. New OECD reporting agreements will make it much easier to for the tax authorities to get information on residents assets held abroad. How can the authorities here tell if someone lives here more than six months? It won’t be possible in all cases, but some of the tricks used to detect illegal holiday letting- or where taxes from rental earnings haven’t been paid- might be used.
The sneaky part of this is that if any newly declared asset has provided a financial return over the past four years – even a capital gain and is unsold – the follow up from Hacienda could be a demand for additional income tax, unless that has already been declared and settled. The amnesty last year designed to force the repatriation of huge amounts of money that had been sent out of Spain (almost all by Spaniards) to fiscal paradises and elsewhere - running to the hundreds of billions of Euros - was a spectacular failure. So this is the next step, and non Spaniards are now in the cross-hairs. This won’t make it so easy to persuade more non Spanish buyers to purchase property or to take up residence here, but that doesn’t seem to have been considered.
This new asset reporting law may run contrary to the non discrimination clauses of many bilateral double tax accords, which under international law transcend national laws, and this may need to be tested in courts here and in the other treaty partner state. Finally, while this isn’t stated, the total of assets held abroad, plus those here in Spain could bring some residents over the reporting thresholds for the national wealth tax. This and possible implications for inheritance taxes should be discussed with your gestor or other tax advisor, and soon.

etc
Putting aside the moral argument for a moment, could it be that the failure of trying to collect the tax from Spanish people who had assets abroad, was because they were not disposed to disclose their assets?

I seem to remember none of the Spanish peeps I know broke into a sweat about declaring, and I know for a fact that a good number of them still have undeclared assets.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 4:13 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
Putting aside the moral argument for a moment, could it be that the failure of trying to collect the tax from Spanish people who had assets abroad, was because they were not disposed to disclose their assets?

I seem to remember none of the Spanish peeps I know broke into a sweat about declaring, and I know for a fact that a good number of them still have undeclared assets.
The difference between the old amnesty and the new scheme is that there are huge penalties for not declaring.

Under the new rules if you fail to declare a 100k asset you will have to pay 130k as back taxes and fines.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 4:16 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
The difference between the old amnesty and the new scheme is that there are huge penalties for not declaring.

Under the new rules if you fail to declare a 100k asset you will have to pay 130k as back taxes and fines.
t
They still don´t seem to be all that "keen" to declare, even with that threat.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 5:04 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
t
They still don´t seem to be all that "keen" to declare, even with that threat.
How exactly can you say that?

Are "they" all in touch with you and telling you that?

No one will admit to not being prepared to declare or they would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Pure speculation. Only time will tell.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

From France I have witnessed a variety of views as to the over-riding ability of Hacienda (which I only have seen in the US films) and under Spanish legislation to get their hands on my 'pile' and which is not much simply on the basis that I do not disclose my asset holdings.

So if I were to believe what I have seen on this forum then it is better that I stay in France. Indeed there is a matrimonial argument between us and tonight that I would prefer to handle what I currently know in France as against going to Spain and where the big wigs have somewhat reluctantly agreed to brown envelopes. This apparently is a developed society?

I declare everything that we have here in France but no one in Spain is going to get their hands on our UK assets. I will stay where I am.

This is madness.

Old Feb 3rd 2013, 6:29 pm
Banned

How exactly can you say that?

Are "they" all in touch with you and telling you that?

No one will admit to not being prepared to declare or they would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Pure speculation. Only time will tell.
"They" are in touch with us and discussing the matter, some of "them" lived in the UK, Belgium and other places and bought property years ago, and have since returned to live in Spain.

Even the ones that don´t think it is hot air, are still not convinced to declare the assets.

In fact "they" seem to be a lot more casual about it that most expats.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 7:01 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

If I decided not to declare, I wouldn't tell anyone. I try to keep my financial matters to myself
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

guirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really nice

I doubt if other governments will cooperate in applying the new law because it overturns the taxing priority set out in double tax treaties. For example, if you sell a second home in the UK the Inland Revenue will tax the gain. Spain may also tax the gain if you are resident in Spain, but it must give credit for the UK tax paid. The UK would not wish to see Spain claiming priority with a deemed capital gain that may not leave any tax revenue for the UK.

Imagine if all governments passed a similar law, it would be a tax free for all and no one would invest outside their home country.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rafikiphoto
I don't suppose there is any indication yet how to declare joint savings accounts?
Well. this is interesting (translation) , I read this to mean that you have to declare even if you have €50,000 in joint names

Is there an obligation to file a return when shared ownership of a bank account abroad whose balance at December 31 exceed € 50,000, but whose ownership corresponds to several people?

There is an obligation to inform the bank account when it exceeds this limit (and not attend any of the other exceptions to the obligation to declare) regardless of the number of account holders. Be reported without apportion total balances, indicating the percentage of participation.

and it gets worse, cos the same applies to property

Is there an obligation to file a return when shared ownership on a property located abroad whose acquisition value exceeds 31 December € 50,000, but whose ownership corresponds to several people?

Yes, there is an obligation to report on the property when this limit is exceeded (and not attend any of the other exceptions to the obligation to declare) regardless of the number of headlines about the same. Be informed of the total acquisition value without prorating, indicating the percentage of participation. shall also apply in respect of any of the types of goods and rights contained in these three reporting requirements when there are multiple owners.

Last edited by CapnBilly; Feb 4th 2013 at 6:49 pm. Reason: formatting
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

Well, this one sums it all up (these are google translations, but they're pretty clear)

In the event that the Model 720 is present on any of the reporting requirements on assets and rights located abroad, could we check whether they match income declared? What if income corresponding to undeclared could regulate?

Yes, you could check the property and rights declared corresponds to income subject to having been declared, and if it is found that stem from unreported income could be regularized in accordance with current regulations.

Last edited by CapnBilly; Feb 4th 2013 at 7:26 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:32 pm

What document are you quoting from?
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

What document are you quoting from?
I've just spent the last half hour going through all the FAQ on the Hacienda website. Also had a look at the model. This is the linkhttp://www.agenciatributaria.es/AEAT...delo_720.shtml
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:49 pm

That's just a page of general options. Where exactly is that information?
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's just a page of general options. Where exactly is that information?
its in the FAQ Preguntas frecuentes, Obligation to declare

http://www.agenciatributaria.es/AEAT...declarar.shtml

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.