Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Declaring worldwide assets to Hacienda

Declaring worldwide assets to Hacienda

Old Mar 6th 2013, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice
Default Re: Declaring worldwide assets to Hacienda

Originally Posted by Fred James
Annuity valuations seem to be a problem. UK companies, when asked for a current asset value on an existing annuity, are stating that an annuity, once bought, cannot be exchanged for cash so the asset value is zero.

If that is the case they would not need to be reported as an asset but clearly this is at odds with the requirements as annuities are specifically mentioned as an asset that has to be reported
My gestor specifically told me today that annuities don't have to be reported. Who do I believe??!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 1:24 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petew
My gestor specifically told me today that annuities don't have to be reported. Who do I believe??!
There is a problem here.

The law, as written, says one thing and then via the FAQ, a number of questions have been answered by Hacienda officials.

The problem is that they might, subsequently, be wrong. All one can do is to follow the law and then wait and see.

I have been told (via FAQ) that I do NOT have to declare my 'Spanish Portfolio Bond' because hacienda have already been notified. However, can I risk the fine?
Old Mar 6th 2013, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

guirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really nice

Originally Posted by UrbanTom
Many thanks for the very helpful and informative thread - I have just gone through all of it... leaving equally confused, but also in the process of considering a move back to the UK.

Could I ask what is the mechanism for ceasing to be a fiscal resident in Spain? I opted for resident status about 6 years ago - but now with my current circumstances think I should revert back to UK tax residency - Any advice?

By the way, I have seen the following 'advice' on http://www.inheritancetaxspain.co.uk/ - Do any of the forum members have knowledge / experience of this approach??

"----------Exactly how is this Spanish Inheritance tax protection created?

By forming a UK Company: The owners of the property form a UK Limited Liability company, in which ownership passes into the hands of the company. Each owner becomes a Director of the company. ...
My understanding is that if you are resident in Spain you would be subject to tax on the capital gain when you transfer the assets to the company. The company acquires the assets at market value but would have to pay the transfer tax on any Spanish property acquired.

For so long as you remain Spanish resident a sale of the shares would also be subject to tax in Spain if held by you. I would recommend taking advice from a good Spanish lawyer.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

UrbanTom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by guirijohn
My understanding is that if you are resident in Spain you would be subject to tax on the capital gain when you transfer the assets to the company. The company acquires the assets at market value but would have to pay the transfer tax on any Spanish property acquired.

For so long as you remain Spanish resident a sale of the shares would also be subject to tax in Spain if held by you. I would recommend taking advice from a good Spanish lawyer.

My presumption was that one would form a UK Company as a non resident ... the web site that I linked to seems to be too optimistic about eliminating taxes .. .does anybody have any experience of this approach? If one were to become a fiscal 'non resident' - I am sure that the Hacienda would not accept this to be a legitimate move?
Old Mar 6th 2013, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

losviv is an unknown quantity at this point

There seems to be problem for some expats who have or acquired a foreign property outside Spain before the euro came into being! How can you value this asset in euros?
Old Mar 6th 2013, 2:47 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by losviv
There seems to be problem for some expats who have or acquired a foreign property outside Spain before the euro came into being! How can you value this asset in euros?
They use a basic conversion rate of 166 pts to 1 euro
Old Mar 6th 2013, 3:26 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petew
He is definitely wrong. The documentation released so far is pretty confusing about pensions, either as pension pots or pensions that have been taken but annuities are as clear as crystal - they have to be declared.

UK pension providers will tell you that an annuity has no asset value but that does not apply in Spain. The guidance for the valuation for the asset declaration is that annuities should be valued in exactly the same way as they are currently valued for wealth tax

You capitalise the annuity based on the income it produces based on a fixed interest rate, laid down by law, of 4%.

That means that you work out the amount of money you would need to invest at 4% to generate the same income that your annuity produces. You then discount that amount by a factor that depends on your age.

For someone 69 years old that figure is 20%. IE a value of 10000 becomes 2000. For different ages add or subtract 1% for each year of your age to a maximum of 10% at age 80.

In very simple terms, an annuitant aged 69 would have to have an income from that annuity of 10000/pa for it to be valued at more than the 50K declaration threshold.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 3:31 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UrbanTom
Many thanks for the very helpful and informative thread - I have just gone through all of it... leaving equally confused, but also in the process of considering a move back to the UK.

Could I ask what is the mechanism for ceasing to be a fiscal resident in Spain? I opted for resident status about 6 years ago - but now with my current circumstances think I should revert back to UK tax residency - Any advice?

By the way, I have seen the following 'advice' on http://www.inheritancetaxspain.co.uk/ - Do any of the forum members have knowledge / experience of this approach??

"----------Exactly how is this Spanish Inheritance tax protection created?

By forming a UK Company: The owners of the property form a UK Limited Liability company, in which ownership passes into the hands of the company. Each owner becomes a Director of the company.
As the legal company owner, you remain in full control of the company - and therefore the asset.

You do not relinquish any control or decision making power regarding the property.

You stay in absolute control of the shares of that company, and you have the final say in who owns those shares.

Therefore - Inheritance tax never becomes an issue. Because on your passing, the company still remains the owner of the asset, it's just the shares in the company that will change hands when the time comes.

It's simple, isn't it? And it's totally legal too ! ...
I note that (so far) no one has made a comment about this, a supposed "tax fiddle" that is known as the Wincham Plan/Method.
I have heard conflicting reports about it, but when you read this
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...y-company.html
then perhaps it may, just may, have some credence.

But as I see it with the Spanish requirement to report assets then the shares you hold in an overseas company will have to be reported if valued at over €50k, as it is a "catch-all" report they are demanding.

Directorship doesn't necessarily denote shareholding and that is IMHO a relatively important matter, but then not being a director on the Companies House register whilst having a major shareholding and any form of control of the company is defined as being a Shadow Director.

So I think the jury is out on this one.
unless you own a couple of oil companies and employ an office full of accountants and lawyers.

`
Old Mar 6th 2013, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snikpoh
They use a basic conversion rate of 166 pts to 1 euro
Do you mean 166 pts to 1 pound? Remember the price for UK residents is the pound and this needs converting somehow. Also all other nationalities require an exchange rate!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 3:48 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean 166 pts to 1 pound? Remember the price for UK residents is the pound and this needs converting somehow. Also all other nationalities require an exchange rate!
that was the pts to euro rate when Spain entered the €uro and is still the exchange rate for those who are finding pesetas (notes only) under the bed

`
Old Mar 6th 2013, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Domino
that was the pts to euro rate when Spain entered the €uro and is still the exchange rate for those who are finding pesetas (notes only) under the bed

`
We still need an exchange rate for pounds (and other currencies) to pesetas at that date, although to be exact the exchange rate should be as at the purchase date. Then euros!! A bit complicated if it is to be done correctly.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 4:18 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

We still need an exchange rate for pounds (and other currencies) to pesetas at that date, although to be exact the exchange rate should be as at the purchase date. Then euros!! A bit complicated if it is to be done correctly.
You use the exchange rate that applies at the time of the declaration ie. 31st December 2012.

What the exchange rate was at the time of acquisition is irrelevant.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the cost of declaring your overseas assets using a Tax Adviser here in Oliva, a local Tax adviser is charging €15 per person.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

The exchange rate for assets declared up to Dec 31st 2012 is €1.23
Old Mar 6th 2013, 5:58 pm

Cool Re: Declaring worldwide assets to Hacienda

Originally Posted by Michael74
Regarding the cost of declaring your overseas assets using a Tax Adviser here in Oliva, a local Tax adviser is charging €15 per person.
I think you will find that is for each declaration. In other words each page that has to be completed. So, if you have a share portfolio of 50 shares, that is 50 declarations.

That said €15 is cheap. I have seen €50 quoted.

And of course, if you have the maximum holding of premium bonds (30000) then, assuming they have to be declared which is not clear, that's an awful lot of pages as each one has a unique number.

It really is not that simple.

The gestors will probably make more money out of this than the government will!

The online declaration is actually more complicated than doing the average tax return and that is typically €100 or more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.