Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Declaración de la Renta 2016 Tax Return

Declaración de la Renta 2016 Tax Return

Old Apr 6th 2017, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Culebronchris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Declaración de la Renta 2016 Tax Return

I had a look at my borrador, the draft, of my 2016 income tax return and, apart from being expensive bad news the process looked very straightforward.

I am a little concerned about box 16, casilla 016, though. It shows expenses of 2,000€. This is a deduction, it's to my advantage, but I'm not sure why it's there, why is there is a general "disregard" of 2,000€. I don't seem to be able to decrease it and a quick Google suggests that it's a general deduction that everyone gets to make.

Can anyone confirm that that's correct? It's a general deduction available to everyone.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 12:57 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Declaración de la Renta 2016 Tax Return

Correct.It's because the old "general allowance" is now limited to salaries below about €14k. Before it bottomed out at about €2500. This is to make up for it, although if you have a low income you get both, which means a lot more people are now outside the tax threshold.

Last edited by Fred James; Apr 6th 2017 at 12:59 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Culebronchris
I had a look at my borrador, the draft, of my 2016 income tax return and, apart from being expensive bad news the process looked very straightforward.

I am a little concerned about box 16, casilla 016, though. It shows expenses of 2,000€. This is a deduction, it's to my advantage, but I'm not sure why it's there, why is there is a general "disregard" of 2,000€. I don't seem to be able to decrease it and a quick Google suggests that it's a general deduction that everyone gets to make.

Can anyone confirm that that's correct? It's a general deduction available to everyone.
Yes it is a standard deduction, if you did a declaration in 2015 you will also see it there.
Really related to a general expense for working or receiving a pension
Old Apr 6th 2017, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Culebronchris is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Fred - that puts my mind at rest. Yes I'd seen it on the declaration for 2015 but I did part of the year as an autonomo and I wondered if it were some sort of left over related to self employment.

I was just going to post the reply and I scrolled up to your earlier reply. I have a couple of part time jobs for a few hours a week and I have a small UK pension (Teacher's pension+AVCs). The jobs are worth about €6k and the UK pension now adds about €8.5k so somewhere around your 14k mark. As far as I can see I'm being taxed at around 10% (which I am presuming is made up of a mix of 9.5% and 12.5%) - something like 1,400€ all together.

I think I was told by some asesor sometime in the past that having multiple incomes is a bad thing taxwise. Does the tax payable figure sound about right to you?
Old Apr 6th 2017, 9:41 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Multiple incomes makes no difference to the tax as you only submit the total. The only effect is if you look at the rules about who has to declare, then they do have a clause that covers more than one income which can affect it.

The tax figure sounds about right. The basic tax rate is around 20%, but that is only applied to the net income after allowances.