Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Deciding between areas in Spain for a holiday property, where to start?

Deciding between areas in Spain for a holiday property, where to start?

Old Aug 10th 2020, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Olaespania is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Deciding between areas in Spain for a holiday property, where to start?

We have decided to buy a holiday property in southern Spain.

I am sure this is not the first question on this subject but if anyone can offer any help or pointers where to start the research into areas that would suit us that would be great.

This will not be a permanent home but used for family holidays and rental to people we know. It is not our intention to retire to Spain.

We have visited southern Spain in the past but not recently, so our on the ground knowledge is very poor.

Background:
Couple, 60, grown-up children.
Cash buyers
3 bed/ 2 bath from preference, although a 2 bed would suffice.
Good area. This is vital and we need to know how to ascertain that!
10 mins walking distance to amenities
Good view, preferably coastal or water.
Outside space.
Open plan
Not overlooked.
Pool access, private pool a bonus!
Budget 170k maximum.

How much should we budget for buying fees?

Is there anything we should be aware of with Brexit looming? We are from the Uk.

I *think* we have narrowed it down to either the Costa Almeria or Costa Del Sol, but we are very open to suggestions and pointers to how we can undertake the necessary research from a distance until we can travel in person.

Recommendations for agents to contact in the above areas would be welcome too. Looking at the adverts on Place in the Sun, and online agents don't help with any of the important decisions about location, amenities etc. It is overwhelming.

We don't know, what we don't know!

Help! Please!
Old Aug 10th 2020, 1:50 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deciding between areas in Spain for a holiday property, where to start?

Costa Almeria is cheaper than Costa Del Sol.
You ought to be able to find a property but no private pool within your budget.
Your wish list will be ..... a challenge:
10 mins walking distance to amenities.
Good view, preferably coastal or water.
Outside space.
Open plan
Not overlooked.
Until you intend to become a resident, Brexit shit is irrelevant.
Budget on 12-15% for taxes, EA and notary fees.

TV programmes like Place in the Sun make it look so easy.

You might want to watch Sun, Sea and Selling Houses. If I were looking in Almeria, that would be a good place to start.

Rental to people you know, i.e. friends and family can be nightmare
Good Luck :-)

Last edited by missile; Aug 10th 2020 at 1:54 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Deciding between areas in Spain for a holiday property, where to start?

Thanks for replying. I watch both of those programmes!

Which part of the wishlist is will be the hardest to achieve?

We won't need to rent it out, but I take what you say onboard. It will be something we will consider very carefully.

Is Almeria as nice as places such as Estepona on CDS?

Thanks for the info re Brexit and costings.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 2:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olaespania
.... Which part of the wishlist is will be the hardest to achieve? .....
Assuming your budget is fixed, it looks to me like the 10 minute walking distance will make most of the others factors on your wish list, challenging. I suspect that if you are willing to give up the distance stipulation most of the others can be achieved simultaneously, but if the 10 minute walk is a rigid requirement getting more than 2-3 of the others may be unlikely.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, yes, the budget is pretty fixed but there is some flexibility. As for the walking distance, we don't want to have to drive in the evenings to eat dinner or visit a bar that is the main criteria.

We will have a car for us to get to places like supermarkets, shops, etc but would like bars and restaurants close by.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 3:31 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Almeria is a nice town but the rest of the province is poor. The whole area to the west is 100% covered in plastic greenhouses and can be seen on the satellite photos. Most of the coast to the east is national park to Cabo Gato and from there north is not very good and the only two significant holiday areas are Mojacar and Garrucha. There are some towns inland.

You should look at the area between the end of Almeria and Málaga. The coast in Granada is called the Costa Tropical and is well worth a look. Once you get into Málaga province it is more touristy but nothing like as bad as the Costa Del Sol west of Málaga.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

We won't need to rent it out, but I take what you say onboard. It will be something we will consider very carefully.

If nice just depends on the individual but Fred James made some good points. I know Almeria from visiting and places like Roquetas or Almerimar seem fine for a visit but I wouldn't want to live there full time. With the migrant crisis some parts probably haven't improved but you will always find parts that are better. I actually didn't feel property was cheaper near the coast when we compared prices back in 2012, unless it's an apartment and inland is just too much of a desert for my liking. With your budget I'm sure you can get all of that in other parts of Spain.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Thank you both, some interesting points to consider there.

Is Calahonda in the area you mention Fred James?

We have also looked at Torrox and Nerja but the latter seems well out of our price range.

We also looked at Murcia but as we haven't been there we have no idea if it would suit us. Friends love it though.

Which other areas do you feel would be worth a look?
Old Aug 10th 2020, 4:15 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, I doubt your budget will stretch to a 3 bed 2 bathroom villa with private pool and certainly not on the coast within walking distance of amenities.
Almeria is nothing like Estepona. They are like chalk and cheese. It rather depends on what appeals to you? If I were to choose, it would be Almeria.
There is no substitute for visiting and seeing with your own eyes. However, you might like to contact Spanish Property Choice run by the Garner family,

Last edited by missile; Aug 10th 2020 at 4:20 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, I appreciate you only get a snapshot of any area from a TV programme, but we did like the old town area in Estepona and also Almeria City and Mojacar looked quite nice too.

The problem is that currently, we can't travel so we are trying to draw up a short list of areas to dig deeper into.

Almeria seems very arid out of the coastal resorts which is something that doesn't appeal that much. We like greenery and bougainvillaea!

Essentially, we want to find that special place which will give us most of the wish list.....along with everyone else I suspect!

As you suggest I will look up the name of the EA's on the programme and look online at their offerings and send them a message.

Thank you.

Old Aug 10th 2020, 4:34 pm
Started off with nothing

Murcia is a city some 30 minutes from the coast and I suspect a little too Spanish for you? Murcia region is quite large and diverse. There are many towns along the coast which might meet your requirements. Where do your friends live? It is difficult adjusting to a new town and hard to settle in another country. It might be a good idea to choose somewhere close to people you know.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 4:37 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

Your budget is large enough in my area (Cádiz) Costa de la Luz - the coast of light. It is not the "English corner" of Spain although in modern times, everyone is being taught English as a foreign language.

Sorry if you have already discounted my area but it is a cheaper area of Spain

Davexf
Old Aug 10th 2020, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
Murcia is a city some 30 minutes from the coast and I suspect a little too Spanish for you? Murcia region is quite large and diverse. There are many towns along the coast which might meet your requirements. Where do your friends live? It is difficult adjusting to a new town and hard to settle in another country. It might be a good idea to choose somewhere close to people you know.
Our friends only go on holiday there, they don't live there permanently. We wouldn't be doing that either.

This is purely a holiday home, so it needs to fulfil the holiday area requirement and be a lock up and leave.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

Your budget is large enough in my area (Cádiz) Costa de la Luz - the coast of light. It is not the "English corner" of Spain although in modern times, everyone is being taught English as a foreign language.

Sorry if you have already discounted my area but it is a cheaper area of Spain

Davexf
We haven't really discounted anywhere. We looked at your area and it appealed due to the proximity to Portugal, but we are unsure which area would suit us.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 4:48 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

We haven't really discounted anywhere. We looked at your area and it appealed due to the proximity to Portugal, but we are unsure which area would suit us.
Hola
If you really like the closeness of Portugal, then Ayamonte (Isla Canela) would fit - there is a separate forum for Costa Esuri but it doesn't have the amenities you want.
The costa de la Luz Sur from Sanlucar de Barrameda, down to Tarifa have some wonderful beaches and many have what you want. This is where in theory "Google is your friend" but in reality, you need to visit for a week to check out seaside town by seaside town

Davexf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.