Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A Decent Cup of Coffee

A Decent Cup of Coffee

Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Decent Cup of Coffee

Originally Posted by stevesainty
Thanks for that but I never touch nescafe muck. I enjoy strong rich roasted coffee akin to Jacobs in Germany. I have found a fairtrade one in Morrisons in England that I enjoy at the moment.
I use Bonka (mine's) decaffienated... Yes, I know it's really nescafe but in my Starbuck's barista I don't know if they sell them anymore but it's been brilliant.
It was a slow day when we went in to buy it (as a Xmas present to eachother about 4 years ago)and a nice girl showed us how to use it, including teaching us never to brew the coffee before getting the milk warm, and never to leave it over 10 secs after it's 'pulled' (brewed) without adding it to the milk. She showed us the difference, and the stuff that's left really tastes burned! This has had it's downside. It's turned me into a real coffee snob. Standing clicking my tongue and chuntering when the Spanish baristas go off for a couple of minutes to get the milk carton , warm the milk and (used to ) have a fag. Anyway... Back to Bonka. it tastes lovely and strong and rich. Or you could try Saimza which is also nice but a bit more bitter if you like that kind of taste.. One tip is to avoid the one that says Torrefacto unless you like the taste of burned sugar.
Starbucks, BTW also sell a handy little grinder. Really powerful and will take your coffee down to powder for your filter if you want. Incidentally there was a thread on here bemoaning the lack of icing sugar here. This machine solves that problem too. If you shake it like a cocktail shaker while it's grinding there isn't even a need to sieve after.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

I still stand by my previous statement. The quality of coffee served in the majority of Spanish establishments is pretty mediocre at best. Yes, yes, some do buy a decent brand of bean, but from the purchase, to the drinking, there is room for a multitude of bad/uncaring/lazy practices. The fact that in any Italian motorway cafe I can get a consistently better brew says a lot about the Spanish attitude. And the point here is consistency.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:34 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

We have had hit and miss with coffee. Finally settled with Sacerellis in Gibraltar. Had some great coffee in Kenya. Now have a nespresso where the coffee is in measured containers, all different flavours and their small expresso no10 strength is one of the best I have had anywhere.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
We have had hit and miss with coffee. Finally settled with Sacerellis in Gibraltar. Had some great coffee in Kenya. Now have a nespresso where the coffee is in measured containers, all different flavours and their small expresso no10 strength is one of the best I have had anywhere.
I'm not a big fan of nespresso, I find it gets cold very quickly from the machine. Plus its 35 cents per capsule and I like a bit of torrefacto in my blends!

It's very convenient though
Old Jan 31st 2011, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlelambfound
Spanish coffee is over-rated. Most bars have no interest/knowledge/skill in the grinding of the beans correctly, let alone ever cleaning the machine (hence a lot of cups taste bitter). The Spanish don't really care, it's just coffee to them, and like most things, they let it ride. Now...get yourself over to Italy and it's another planet as far as coffee goes. They care about quality and rightly complain loudly if it slips below par.
Must admit the best coffee I`ve ever had in Spain was made by an Italian barista .
Old Jan 31st 2011, 10:47 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

My two favourite places for coffee here in Spain are almost next door to each other. One is German, the other Spanish, and the German one serves better-tasting coffee, but the Spanish one scores for ambience, though a bit rocked by the smoking ban.

We’ve tried all different coffees indoors, but they never taste as good as the one served in a noisy café, with all those interesting people to observe and a wiggling waitress too.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 11:34 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betris
if your using a cafateria try a small pinch of salt and leave the boiling water for a few seconds before you pour it in.salt enhances the flavor.and boiling water makes coffe bitter.im a nescafe fan myself.
Karma for that, and thanks for the idea. I'll give it a try.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 11:39 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
I use Bonka (mine's) decaffienated... Yes, I know it's really nescafe but in my Starbuck's barista I don't know if they sell them anymore but it's been brilliant.
It was a slow day when we went in to buy it (as a Xmas present to eachother about 4 years ago)and a nice girl showed us how to use it, including teaching us never to brew the coffee before getting the milk warm, and never to leave it over 10 secs after it's 'pulled' (brewed) without adding it to the milk. She showed us the difference, and the stuff that's left really tastes burned! This has had it's downside. It's turned me into a real coffee snob. Standing clicking my tongue and chuntering when the Spanish baristas go off for a couple of minutes to get the milk carton , warm the milk and (used to ) have a fag. Anyway... Back to Bonka. it tastes lovely and strong and rich. Or you could try Saimza which is also nice but a bit more bitter if you like that kind of taste.. One tip is to avoid the one that says Torrefacto unless you like the taste of burned sugar.
Starbucks, BTW also sell a handy little grinder. Really powerful and will take your coffee down to powder for your filter if you want. Incidentally there was a thread on here bemoaning the lack of icing sugar here. This machine solves that problem too. If you shake it like a cocktail shaker while it's grinding there isn't even a need to sieve after.

Nescafe, well I have to say I think it tastes foul as does Bonka. We tried it because of the name.

Decaff coffee is just unnatural. If I am going to drink the 'Devil's Urine' as I believe some fruit loop god botherers call it, I want it full strength.

The big joke is that so many people that are very fussy about having no caffeine don't realise it is in the painkillers that they take.

I don't have a hugely sophisticated palate, so I don't need to take the trouble to grind the beans and faff about with all the trimmings. It means my life is a bit more relaxed, and a lot more cost effective.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

goaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by littlelambfound
Spanish coffee is over-rated. Most bars have no interest/knowledge/skill in the grinding of the beans correctly, let alone ever cleaning the machine (hence a lot of cups taste bitter). The Spanish don't really care, it's just coffee to them, and like most things, they let it ride. Now...get yourself over to Italy and it's another planet as far as coffee goes. They care about quality and rightly complain loudly if it slips below par.

Yep totally agree. El Puerto and the Cadiz region in general is appaling for coffee. I went to Italy last summer and the difference in quality was evident.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Nescafe, well I have to say I think it tastes foul as does Bonka. We tried it because of the name.

Decaff coffee is just unnatural. If I am going to drink the 'Devil's Urine' as I believe some fruit loop god botherers call it, I want it full strength.

The big joke is that so many people that are very fussy about having no caffeine don't realise it is in the painkillers that they take.

I don't have a hugely sophisticated palate, so I don't need to take the trouble to grind the beans and faff about with all the trimmings. It means my life is a bit more relaxed, and a lot more cost effective.
It's not being "fussy" bil. You have to peel me off the ceiling if I take caffeine under ordinary circumstances as I'm a bit 'lively' as it is!
And yes, I do take it in painkillers occasionally, and I know it's there. I use it to bring me to life when I'm feeling half dead.
I know someone who bought one of those Coffee machines and started drinking a *lot* of coffee. The effects of which he began to dull with lots of Alchohol. Now he's on lots of drugs to combat some weird seizures he got from from alchohol withdrawal.
Caffeine is a strong drug. And like most drugs you should know what you're taking. And, in my opinion you should be able to choose whether to take or not take all or any of them.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

It's not being "fussy" bil. You have to peel me off the ceiling if I take caffeine under ordinary circumstances as I'm a bit 'lively' as it is!
Caffeine is a strong drug. And like most drugs you should know what you're taking.
Caffeine is a weird thing and affects people in different ways!
My husband and stepdaughter react just the same as you do Angie, while I on the other hand if I can't sleep will get up and make a cup of coffee... after drinking it I can fall asleep straight away.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by megmet
Caffeine is a weird thing and affects people in different ways!
My husband and stepdaughter react just the same as you do Angie, while I on the other hand if I can't sleep will get up and make a cup of coffee... after drinking it I can fall asleep straight away.
Very true.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:29 pm
bil
Banned

And yes, I do take it in painkillers occasionally, and I know it's there. I use it to bring me to life when I'm feeling half dead.
I know someone who bought one of those Coffee machines and started drinking a *lot* of coffee. The effects of which he began to dull with lots of Alchohol. Now he's on lots of drugs to combat some weird seizures he got from from alchohol withdrawal.
Caffeine is a strong drug. And like most drugs you should know what you're taking. And, in my opinion you should be able to choose whether to take or not take all or any of them.
No, no, no. By 'fussy' I was referring to the arcane practices, like using only virgin spring water, grinding it by hand, etc etc etc.

Decaf is to me just unnatural. I understand some people get a tad wired and need decaf.

What about the coffee they pick out of civet cat shit?

Who the **** was it that thought marinading coffee beans in cat crap was a good idea?
Old Jan 31st 2011, 6:09 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
No, no, no. By 'fussy' I was referring to the arcane practices, like using only virgin spring water, grinding it by hand, etc etc etc.

Decaf is to me just unnatural. I understand some people get a tad wired and need decaf.

Who the **** was it that thought marinading coffee beans in cat crap was a good idea?
No idea, but I bet the cats have a laugh about it.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bil

Actually I watched a programme about decaffienating. It's complicated but suffice to say the only weird thing about decaffienating is the first batch. from then on it's just as they say "a process of osmosis" And as for spring water.... Most water is Spring water. So, Nowt weird about that either!

I used to like a civet Perfume I used to buy back in the 70's. Then I found out what Civet actually was! Not heard about said coffee though!
But what about cochineal! Little grey beetles! Think about that next time you're enjoying a 'Strawberry' ice cream!
Actually I'll eat just about anything. Tried snails and Kangaroo, goat and well, having seen what goes into morcilla tonta, I even eat that!
Show me chocolate dipped fried termites I'd probably have a go!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.