Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Decent birthday cards in Madrid?!

Decent birthday cards in Madrid?!

Old Apr 12th 2009, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

emsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to all
Question Decent birthday cards in Madrid?!

I´ve been living in Madrid for nearly a month now, and for the life of me I can´t find any different, decent, unusual, quirky birthday cards!

I have a few birthdays coming up in the UK and here and would like to get cards that are amusing or at least a little bit different.

Maybe I´ve been spoiled by living in Brighton my entire life but I´m used to there being card shops on every corner, plus little independent shops which do some fantastic unique ones.

So far here, I´ve found nothing, nada!

Anyone??!!

Thanks.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Decent birthday cards in Madrid?!

Originally Posted by emsr2d2
I´ve been living in Madrid for nearly a month now, and for the life of me I can´t find any different, decent, unusual, quirky birthday cards!

I have a few birthdays coming up in the UK and here and would like to get cards that are amusing or at least a little bit different.

Maybe I´ve been spoiled by living in Brighton my entire life but I´m used to there being card shops on every corner, plus little independent shops which do some fantastic unique ones.

Anyone??!!

Thanks.

I've almost given up sending cards to my relatives in the Uk completely. The Spanish don't celebrate with cards so that's why they are so difficult to find. If I happen to take a trip down to Gibraltar I usually stock up and buy a couple years worth of cards in one hit. Otherwise people just have to go without.

Or....dare I suggest you make your own???
Old Apr 12th 2009, 3:13 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=emsr2d2;7473237]I´ve been living in Madrid for nearly a month now, and for the life of me I can´t find any different, decent, unusual, quirky birthday cards!

Anyone??!!

Thanks.[/QUOTE

moonpig.com lol.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 5:05 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I think the other posters may be right - they don't do birthday cards in Spain. This may be linked to other things that don't seem to exist in Spain - Amazon.es ?
May be worth searching out the English bookshops. I would try Hartley's bookshop (in the zona Lista) or J&J (close to Novociado zone) as the managers would know what you're after. Booksellers are also an option.
Also - try looking in places like the Prado museum shop - I'm sure they'll have cards, even if they are not birthday specific.
Failing that, try looking in the quirky shops around Chueca. It may be difficult to get a card that is non-gay related though!
Old Apr 12th 2009, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Most tobacconists sell greetings cards.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

And also many gift/souvenir and stationery type shops.

That said, I still rely on moonpig, as someone posted above, because I stall can't predict delivery times from here.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 8:49 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Greetings cards are hard to find in Costa Blanca really - mainly Ex-Pat tourist areas/ coastal Urbs where the shop owners have imported them.

When I go to UK I buy a load in bulk - they're cheaper and don't weigh much for luggage.

Or I sometimes use the online cards to send to friends in other countries - there are some really great card sites now (without adverts and spam if you pay a small amount (cheaper than real cards)).

My wife is a member and uses a site by Jacquie Lawson - quite classy animated cards with great music, send loads and can be personalised and diarised to be sent at a later date. So if your friends / relatives have email addresses you can be really organised in the comfort of your home and diarise the lot in one swoop !!!
Old Apr 13th 2009, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Canguro is an unknown quantity at this point

You can always check out the assortment at the El Corte Ingles on Princesa. They have a selection of english language cards.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

emsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to allemsr2d2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Canguro
You can always check out the assortment at the El Corte Ingles on Princesa. They have a selection of english language cards.
Hmm, I looked there this morning. The cards were very dull and plain. I´m not bothered whether they´re in English or not, but I´m really looking for quirky, fun ones. They were all just your basic birthday cards!

Thanks though! Maybe I´ll just have to stock up when I pop back to Brighton soon!
Old Apr 13th 2009, 4:01 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Italy is very bad about greeting cards. Giving cards is not really something that they do here.
The few shops that might sell a very small selection have no choice and never any funny ones so I agree with moonpig too.