British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   death in Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/death-spain-916717/)

catsndogs Aug 31st 2018 10:35 am

death in Spain

Hi all Hubby and I have just arranged a funeral plan which has given us peace of mind when the dreaded day dawns. We were taken aback when we were told that the police will be called to the house and that whoever is left has to leave and they go through the house and are not always honest. Is this true.We find that a bit worrying does this really happen?

HeikeundAlan Aug 31st 2018 10:47 am

Re: death in Spain

hola
who told you that??
we have had a few friends who had partner die, never ever had anybody do this.to them

SimonJ22 Aug 31st 2018 11:56 am

Originally Posted by HeikeundAlan (Post 12556896)
'Where there's a will there's a way'

Haha, sorry, it struck me as funny talking about funeral plans!

snikpoh Aug 31st 2018 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by catsndogs (Post 12556891)
Hi all Hubby and I have just arranged a funeral plan which has given us peace of mind when the dreaded day dawns. We were taken aback when we were told that the police will be called to the house and that whoever is left has to leave and they go through the house and are not always honest. Is this true.We find that a bit worrying does this really happen?

We had a death at our property - the police NEVER attended.

This is just someone winding you up - for some perverse reason!

Tweedpipe Aug 31st 2018 2:50 pm

Sounds like more fake news. Wasn't from Trump was it......?

dmu Aug 31st 2018 3:21 pm

FWIW, in France, if the deceased is to be cremated, the police have to be present when the coffin is sealed, to check his/her identity.

catsndogs Aug 31st 2018 5:14 pm

It may seem funny but it will come you all eventually. We have many friends in Spain who have done this saves a lot of stress to the one left behind. The plan we are with deals with every thing as soon as we call them. they make travel arrangements for family who would need to travel over to attend he funeral. Thanks for the info about police puts our mind at rest.

bobd22 Aug 31st 2018 6:17 pm

I can't see what's odd about police attending an unexpected death I do find the dishonesty bit odd? British police attend addresses and obtain details for sudden deaths in the UK and where people are brought into hospital and pass away en route. The coroner is then formally informed with full details. Surprisingly devious people bump others off now and again.

dmu Aug 31st 2018 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by catsndogs (Post 12557029)
It may seem funny but it will come you all eventually. We have many friends in Spain who have done this saves a lot of stress to the one left behind. The plan we are with deals with every thing as soon as we call them. they make travel arrangements for family who would need to travel over to attend he funeral. Thanks for the info about police puts our mind at rest.

Are your friends Spanish? If not, I wonder whether this isn't an expat thing.
My former English neighbour took out a similar plan here in France, but cancelled it when she realised that she had paid much more into it over the years than what the French Undertakers would have charged for virtually the same services. She wasn't reimbursed 100% - a fine "for premature reimbursement" was deducted, and in the end she returned to the UK where she passed away.
French OH and I have an adequate sum in a Savings Account to cover both of our funerals - since bank accounts are frozen after a death, it's essential for couples to have joint-accounts so that the surviving spouse has access, but this is going off-topic....

Dxf Aug 31st 2018 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12557066)
French OH and I have an adequate sum in a Savings Account to cover both of our funerals - since bank accounts are frozen after a death, it's essential for couples to have joint-accounts so that the surviving spouse has access, but this is going off-topic....

Hola

The law changed a while ago - now only half the bank account money is frozen enabling the remaining partner money to bury the deceased. Funeral costs vary but budget for a minimum of 3,000€; you may hear of cheaper but as a Spanish speaking friend of mine said when her mother passed on, She wasn't going to argue the toss, she just wanted to be able to grieve.

Davexf

Johncarzx Sep 2nd 2018 10:02 am

I think the police story is an April fool thing, in Spain it’s called Día de los Santos Inocentes

Regarding funeral plans, just remember these companies are out to make money out of YOU.

Just ask yourself, does the deceased really need or want all the bells and whistles, is all this cost necessary.

Apart from a few ashes the rest disappears. Has the whole thing become a money making racket. In Spain and the UK if you are skint (potless) you get a ‘’Public Health Funeral’’ free of charge.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...71d75628b8.jpg

bobd22 Sep 2nd 2018 4:13 pm

Information here

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...tion-for-spain