Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

D.N.I / N.I.E / Citizenship / Residence / I.D.

D.N.I / N.I.E / Citizenship / Residence / I.D.

Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:52 am
Just Joined

MadridBear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default D.N.I / N.I.E / Citizenship / Residence / I.D.

Hi guys.

I am a Uk citizen and passport holder, who has destroyed 3 passports in the 6 years I have been in Spian.

I have my own business which involves a lot of travel within Spain and yet I can't seem to get my hands on any alternative to carrying my passport everywhere I go.

I see Spaniards can now get D.N.I.e which allows them to access online banking more securely and buy online more securely yet as the owner of a Spanish SL I find myself wasting time travelling around with my passport whenever I need to leave the house and when I need to buy anything.

Unless I carry my passport and an A4 piece of paper I have no proof of address.

Surely as a European citizens we (all non-Spanish European citizens living in Spain) should be treated in the same manner as European citizens who happen to have been born in Spain?

How would someone go about trying to force this issue and have them give I.D cards to those who want them?
And real I.D cards with the same privileges as everyone born in the country.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:57 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: D.N.I / N.I.E / Citizenship / Residence / I.D.

that's the 10,000 euro question a lot of us would like answered

we've discussed it here before - do a bit of a search with the search button at the top of the page

welcome btw
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the welcome!
And hello.

Unfortunately after having a quick look I couldn't really see a discussion on finding a solution to the discrimination.
More discussion on how to get round the "issues" by continuing to accept this treatment and walk around in 40 degree heat with a rucksack full of documents and papers while continuing to be a pick-pockets dream!!!!

As someone who contributes as much as the next man and a little more to the Spanish economy I wouldn't mind fixing this and spending a few hours looking through the forum, but work and bureaucracy keeps me busy 10 hours a day!

Also, with the way the Spanish seem to be changing the rules every day to accommodate those from outside the EU to comply with EU regulations, a lot of the older posts are outdated and therefore wrong...
You would think the EU would get its own "house" in order and it's own "citizens" rights dealt with first, but obviously not.

Originally Posted by lynnxa
that's the 10,000 euro question a lot of us would like answered

we've discussed it here before - do a bit of a search with the search button at the top of the page

welcome btw
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:11 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MadridBear
Thanks for the welcome!
And hello.

Unfortunately after having a quick look I couldn't really see a discussion on finding a solution to the discrimination.
More discussion on how to get round the "issues" by continuing to accept this treatment and walk around in 40 degree heat with a rucksack full of documents and papers while continuing to be a pick-pockets dream!!!!

As someone who contributes as much as the next man and a little more to the Spanish economy I wouldn't mind fixing this and spending a few hours looking through the forum, but work and bureaucracy keeps me busy 10 hours a day!

Also, with the way the Spanish seem to be changing the rules every day to accommodate those from outside the EU to comply with EU regulations, a lot of the older posts are outdated and therefore wrong...
You would think the EU would get its own "house" in order and it's own "citizens" rights dealt with first, but obviously not.
I said there had been a lot of discussion - not that we'd found a solution

some people have had their bit of A4 'residents thingy' notarised, & shrunk & laminated with a photo added

some places accept that as 'official ID'
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:17 am
Just Joined

I said there had been a lot of discussion - not that we'd found a solution

some people have had their bit of A4 'residents thingy' notarised, & shrunk & laminated with a photo added

some places accept that as 'official ID'
I know, solutions are easier spoke about than came about!

The big problem is "some places", when you spend an hour of your day travelling the length of a city to buy something and get the old "we don't accept this", thats when it gets frustrating.
As I said, the only alternative then is to risk problems when you go on your holidays by producing a worn and damaged passport. (or pay for 1 every year)

Catch 22 !!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:19 am
¿Dónde estoy?

I know, solutions are easier spoke about than came about!

The big problem is "some places", when you spend an hour of your day travelling the length of a city to buy something and get the old "we don't accept this", thats when it gets frustrating.
As I said, the only alternative then is to risk problems when you go on your holidays by producing a worn and damaged passport. (or pay for 1 every year)

Catch 22 !!
you can get an ID cad if you live in the UK!

seriously though - how often are you actually asked for 'official' ID?

the only time I'm ever asked is if I'm at the guardia
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:21 am
Just Joined

you can get an ID cad if you live in the UK!
Now thats just rubbing salt in the wound !!!!!!
Not only are the lovely Spanish government discriminating against us, our own government are sticking the knife in aswell.

lol.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

I am always asked for it when paying with a card in larger retail outlets etc.
¿Dónde estoy?

Now thats just rubbing salt in the wound !!!!!!
Not only are the lovely Spanish government discriminating against us, our own government are sticking the knife in aswell.

lol.
but it isn't the Spanish govt discriminating against us is it?

everyone, including Spanish citizens have to carry official photo ID - it's not the Spanish govt's fault that the only thing the British govt will give (sell) us is an expensive passport!
Just Joined

You don't live in Madrid ?? Do you?

I'd say about 15 times a week, through work I am required to go to the tax office, shopping, banking, town halls and many other places.

I have been refused service, the right to buy, the right to pay and the right to use my own bank for so many daft reasons it is unreal.

but it isn't the Spanish govt discriminating against us is it?

everyone, including Spanish citizens have to carry official photo ID - it's not the Spanish govt's fault that the only thing the British govt will give (sell) us is an expensive passport!
How are they not discriminating against us?
I don't live in the Uk.
I live in SPain
I am required to provide I.D and proof of address when I go to a Spanish government building or my bank.
The Spanish require this, not the British.
The Spanish give their own citizens a card with all of this on it.
I live here and want to be treated the same.
They refuse to do that, they refuse to treat me the same.
Is that not discrimination?
They have this daft I.D rule, surely they must then provide a form of I.D (if requested) to their residents?

Last edited by MadridBear; Aug 9th 2010 at 11:30 am.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:30 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by whitelinen
I am always asked for it when paying with a card in larger retail outlets etc.

don't use credit cards - don't like them - the OH has one & his photo driving license is always accepted around here
You don't live in Madrid ?? Do you?

I'd say about 15 times a week, through work I am required to go to the tax office, shopping, banking, town halls and many other places.

I have been refused service, the right to buy, the right to pay and the right to use my own bank for so many daft reasons it is unreal.

They have this daft I.D rule, surely they must then provide a form of I.D (if requested) to their residents?
no

I firmly believe that the UK govt should provide us with some cheap & practical form of ID though
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: D.N.I / N.I.E / Citizenship / Residence / I.D.

Thanks for the welcome!
And hello.

You have just lucked out!!!! It was until the ConDem lot got in possible to get a genuine UK ID card just like the Spanish have. We did it cost £30 and a bit of trouble but the first announcement by the coalition was the scheme was to be scrapped and no re-funds so after barely 2 months the end was in sight It is still legal but for how long?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:03 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I do not use a credit card but use my debit card everywhere and use my driving licence for ID, never had a problem at all.

Rosemary
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I do not use a credit card but use my debit card everywhere and use my driving licence for ID, never had a problem at all.

Rosemary
Me too
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:08 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by John & Kath
You have just lucked out!!!! It was until the ConDem lot got in possible to get a genuine UK ID card just like the Spanish have. We did it cost £30 and a bit of trouble but the first announcement by the coalition was the scheme was to be scrapped and no re-funds so after barely 2 months the end was in sight It is still legal but for how long?
so I can't go & stay with my dad for a few months & get one now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.