British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Current rules on entering Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/current-rules-entering-spain-932153/)

spainrico Apr 11th 2020 8:33 am

Current rules on entering Spain

THought this might be useful for some (from Brits in Spain FB page - British government)

'A number of you have contacted us to ask about coming to Spain to be with friends and family, for business reasons or because you were in the UK or elsewhere when the state of emergency was announced and want to return home. At this time the rules around entering Spain are very strict. Only Spanish citizens, those who are legally resident here, frontier workers or those who can prove they need to enter Spain for essential reasons will be allowed to enter the country. This applies to airports, ports and land borders. If you want to enter to return to your home here, you must have a green residency certificate to prove your residence. Anything else, such as a padron certificate or utility bill, will not be accepted and we would advise you not to try. It is for the Spanish authorities to determine who can enter the country and we cannot guarantee that you will be able to enter Spain. For more information visit https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain

Hiring a private plane to arrive will not work either! (see the news)

malagamark May 6th 2020 5:21 pm

Re: Current rules on entering Spain

Actually, I returned to Spain 4 weeks ago LHR-BCN-AGP without Residencia. I showed my Padron document & NIE and said I was returning home.

This was accepted without question at LHR, transiting at BCN and going through border control at Malags..

criodain May 18th 2020 7:47 pm

Hi all. I fear I might well not get the answer I'd like but I'll ask anyway. Moved (more or less) to Granada last year, and have been working remotely while in Spain, and travelling back home to the office in Ireland every other month or so. I haven't gotten my paperwork sorted yet. I'm in Ireland and looking to see what my options might be to get back to Spain. I've been in touch with the Spanish embassy who said that unless I had proof of residence, I won't get back in.
I have a flight provisionally booked for June 6th to Malaga. I've asked the embassy if I could get my girlfriend in Spain to do anything. What, I don't know, but if there was any way of proving I've been there the last year, it *might* fall under the essential / I need to get back to Spain category. Other than that, I suppose I'm a glorified tourist.... :(
Anyone been in a similar scenario recently?

Notdunroamin May 19th 2020 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by malagamark (Post 12849221)
Actually, I returned to Spain 4 weeks ago LHR-BCN-AGP without Residencia. I showed my Padron document & NIE and said I was returning home.

This was accepted without question at LHR, transiting at BCN and going through border control at Malags..

What few seem to realise is that in law having a padron is a defacto statement that you live in Spain thats why many spanish officials will accept it as proof of that.

It follows that living in Spain confers certain obligations which if not complied with can lead to severe financial consequences.

Fred James May 19th 2020 6:28 pm

According to the FCO advice, a padron certificate is not an acceptable proof of residency. I can understand that as many owners of holiday homes have been allowed to sign on the Padron, encouraged by the local town hall as they get money from central government based on the number of people on the Padron.

The padron, in many tourist municipalities is just a joke and it should never be used as proof of right of residence.

The only documant that proves right of residency is the green form/card that you get when you go through the residency process proving that you have sufficient income and health cover.