Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Currency exchange - best option(s)

Currency exchange - best option(s)

Old Jun 4th 2016, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Currency exchange - best option(s)

We need to exchange some Euros for Dollars for a forthcoming trip to the USA.
I've done a Google search and found some companies with offices along the Costa Blanca (but not in mine, Moraira).
I'm guessing the banks offer this service, but can't find mention of this service or rates, even on my own bank's site, so can't compare.
Don't want to do it at the airport as all advice I've read says this the worst option of all.
Anyone any advice please as to our best option(s)?
Thanks.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Currency exchange - best option(s)

There is a branch of Currencies Direct in Moraira, in the area behind the Himalayan Restaurant. The phone number is 966265072, ask for Sherry. I can recommend them.
I am not sure if you want cash, as I believe they will only deal bank to bank, though.

Last edited by marcbernard; Jun 5th 2016 at 9:03 am. Reason: Extra thought
Old Jun 5th 2016, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marcbernard
There is a branch of Currencies Direct in Moraira, in the area behind the Himalayan Restaurant. The phone number is 966265072, ask for Sherry. I can recommend them.
I am not sure if you want cash, as I believe they will only deal bank to bank, though.
Thanks for that, I know the place you mean. I do want to take some cash, not much but enough to see us through for a day or two. I was under the impression that CD deal bank to bank and not in cash currency exchange but I
will check.
Thanks very much.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

I'd recommend not exchanging any cash and just use your ATM card to withdraw dollars when you get there. You usually get a better exchange rate that way over exchanging cash.

That's what we always do whenever we travel.

- Eric S.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eric S
I'd recommend not exchanging any cash and just use your ATM card to withdraw dollars when you get there. You usually get a better exchange rate that way over exchanging cash.

That's what we always do whenever we travel.

- Eric S.
Thanks for that, a good piece of advice. Just don't want to land the airport with no cash! Suppose the answer is, as you say, just go to an ATM and withdraw it.
Thanks again, much appreciated.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Thanks for that, a good piece of advice. Just don't want to land the airport with no cash! Suppose the answer is, as you say, just go to an ATM and withdraw it.
Thanks again, much appreciated.
I agree with Eric S about just using an ATM card. One thing I would add is to try and take more than one card - ideally one VISA and one MasterCard. That way you are covered if there should be a problem with one of the cards. There shouldn't be a problem of course, but it's always a good idea to have a back-up.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by teejaydee
I agree with Eric S about just using an ATM card. One thing I would add is to try and take more than one card - ideally one VISA and one MasterCard. That way you are covered if there should be a problem with one of the cards. There shouldn't be a problem of course, but it's always a good idea to have a back-up.
More good advice I think. Thanks for that.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

andyr35 is an unknown quantity at this point

We usually get overseas cash from ATM's, but make sure to tell the banks of our travel plans, so they don't block what might have otherwise been viewed as potentially fraudulent transactions! Have a great trip!
Old Jun 6th 2016, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyr35
We usually get overseas cash from ATM's, but make sure to tell the banks of our travel plans, so they don't block what might have otherwise been viewed as potentially fraudulent transactions! Have a great trip!
Excellent advise. We always notify our bank (for ATM card) and credit card companies when we travel abroad these days. We've had both our ATM and credit cards blocked when we were travelling internationally. But not since we started notifying them ahead of time.

- Eric S.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eric S
Excellent advise. We always notify our bank (for ATM card) and credit card companies when we travel abroad these days. We've had both our ATM and credit cards blocked when we were travelling internationally. But not since we started notifying them ahead of time.

- Eric S.
Never thought of that. A big thanks.