Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

curly leaves on my lemon tree

curly leaves on my lemon tree

Closed Thread

Old Aug 14th 2006, 7:07 am
  #1  
barxeta bliss,ohhhh
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: barxeta
Posts: 308
patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of
Default curly leaves on my lemon tree

please, can anybody tell my why the leaves on my lemon tree are going all curly?
I bought this tree with me fm england, its only about 3/4 tall,but i had had it for 2 years , all went well, its been here for 6 months now ,untill i noticed the leaf curl, dont know what to do. Is it to do with watering, pests,hope somebody can help, any budding gardeners out there.
thanks patsy
patsywhitehair is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2006, 11:48 am
  #2  
Sun, Sea & Sangria.
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Marbella
Posts: 142
BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of
Default Re: curly leaves on my lemon tree

Curling leaves is not a problem or disease in its own right, but a symptom of something else. Often indicates the presence of an insect pest(such as leaf miners), but sometimes it's caused by unusually low temperatures.
Certain fertilisation problems can also be to blame.

None of these is likely to prevent fruit forming if the plant is growing OK. It's probably just taking a rest after producing well last year. Some citrus have a tendency to alternate year bearing.

How i love google

If it's of any use, we bought one here, planted in a large pot in all day full sunlight.
I give it a good watering every night (when it's this sunny and the soil is dry one inch below the surface). Never any fertiliser.
It's come on leaps and bounds, new shoots everywhere, a very healthy plant.
BritBull is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2006, 1:28 pm
  #3  
MODERATOR
 
Fred James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Granada Costa
Posts: 9,490
Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: curly leaves on my lemon tree

It is leaf curl caused by the leaf miner moth. It usually happens about now.

Spray it with Bayer Confidor insectide. Next year apply the insecticide to the trunk and around the base of the tree in the spring.

It is a systemic insecticide so it is absorbed by the tree and stays active for months. It certainly works on our trees.
Fred James is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2006, 9:45 pm
  #4  
Straw Man.
 
rugbymatt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
Posts: 46,302
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: curly leaves on my lemon tree

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
please, can anybody tell my why the leaves on my lemon tree are going all curly?
I bought this tree with me fm england, its only about 3/4 tall,but i had had it for 2 years , all went well, its been here for 6 months now ,untill i noticed the leaf curl, dont know what to do. Is it to do with watering, pests,hope somebody can help, any budding gardeners out there.
thanks patsy

Sorry to but in but your leaf curl is most probably shock, your lemon may well be a Mediterranean plant but most likely it was grown in Holland, and suddenly its gone to where it needs to be and is in a bit of a stress period. you could spray it and you could give it a bit of a feed but i would just calm down and let it acclimatise. but then what do i know. good luck
rugbymatt is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2006, 10:35 pm
  #5  
MODERATOR
 
Fred James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Granada Costa
Posts: 9,490
Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: curly leaves on my lemon tree

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Sorry to but in but your leaf curl is most probably shock, your lemon may well be a Mediterranean plant but most likely it was grown in Holland, and suddenly its gone to where it needs to be and is in a bit of a stress period. you could spray it and you could give it a bit of a feed but i would just calm down and let it acclimatise. but then what do i know. good luck
I doubt that it as simple as that.

Look at the leaves. If you see tiny squiggly tracks on the leaves then it is the Minadores. It is quite obvious if you look carefully.

It is a very common problem here in Spain. Probably not a lot of it in Sussex though!
Fred James is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2006, 11:40 pm
  #6  
Straw Man.
 
rugbymatt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
Posts: 46,302
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: curly leaves on my lemon tree

Originally Posted by Fred James
I doubt that it as simple as that.

Look at the leaves. If you see tiny squiggly tracks on the leaves then it is the Minadores. It is quite obvious if you look carefully.

It is a very common problem here in Spain. Probably not a lot of it in Sussex though!
Si puedes ser, pero quien dices que soy ingles? books and covers! anyway like i said what do i know, its only my job. from experience people tend to look for the complicated and not the simple, i tend to start at the bottom and work my way up, that way i tend not to do unnecessary things to a plant! PS i may live in Sussex but NO SOY DE AQUI!!!!!!!!!
rugbymatt is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2006, 11:33 am
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chiclana
Posts: 3,327
Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: curly leaves on my lemon tree

Originally Posted by BritBull
Curling leaves is not a problem or disease in its own right, but a symptom of something else. Often indicates the presence of an insect pest(such as leaf miners), but sometimes it's caused by unusually low temperatures.
Certain fertilisation problems can also be to blame.

None of these is likely to prevent fruit forming if the plant is growing OK. It's probably just taking a rest after producing well last year. Some citrus have a tendency to alternate year bearing.

How i love google

If it's of any use, we bought one here, planted in a large pot in all day full sunlight.
I give it a good watering every night (when it's this sunny and the soil is dry one inch below the surface). Never any fertiliser.
It's come on leaps and bounds, new shoots everywhere, a very healthy plant.
Why don´t you fertilise?
Chiclanagir is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2006, 12:01 pm
  #8  
Sun, Sea & Sangria.
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Marbella
Posts: 142
BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of
Default Re: curly leaves on my lemon tree

Originally Posted by glynis
Why don´t you fertilise?
The compost is fresh.
The plant was repotted less than 3 months back.
No need to fertilise a plant which is growing so fast and looks so healthy.
Fertiliser in only required once the soil nutrients begin to lack, I would say a minimum of 6 months after repotting.
But I am always careful not to over fertilise as this can make a plant even more sick than not fertilising at all.
BritBull is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2006, 4:27 pm
  #9  
MODERATOR
 
Fred James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Granada Costa
Posts: 9,490
Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: curly leaves on my lemon tree

As I said before, check for the squiggly lines on the leaves. If they have them then it is the Minadores and it needs a spray.

If not it could be a whole host of things but from my experience growing Citrus, at this time of year, minadores are the most likely thing.
Fred James is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2006, 5:57 pm
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 445
Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all
Default Re: curly leaves on my lemon tree

Originally Posted by Fred James
As I said before, check for the squiggly lines on the leaves. If they have them then it is the Minadores and it needs a spray.

If not it could be a whole host of things but from my experience growing Citrus, at this time of year, minadores are the most likely thing.
Are you the Fred James who used to have the Andy Capp on another forum now defunct??
Solarwhizz is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2006, 6:06 pm
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chiclana
Posts: 3,327
Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: curly leaves on my lemon tree

Originally Posted by BritBull
The compost is fresh.
The plant was repotted less than 3 months back.
No need to fertilise a plant which is growing so fast and looks so healthy.
Fertiliser in only required once the soil nutrients begin to lack, I would say a minimum of 6 months after repotting.
But I am always careful not to over fertilise as this can make a plant even more sick than not fertilising at all.
But if the tree is in the ground, should you fertilise? I can also get some fresh horse manure can you put it straight on the tree?
Chiclanagir is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2006, 6:40 pm
  #12  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,160
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: curly leaves on my lemon tree

Originally Posted by glynis
But if the tree is in the ground, should you fertilise? I can also get some fresh horse manure can you put it straight on the tree?
Fresh will kill any plants
jdr is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2006, 8:00 pm
  #13  
MODERATOR
 
Fred James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Granada Costa
Posts: 9,490
Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: curly leaves on my lemon tree

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
Are you the Fred James who used to have the Andy Capp on another forum now defunct??
No.
Fred James is offline  
Old Aug 16th 2006, 11:10 am
  #14  
Sun, Sea & Sangria.
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Marbella
Posts: 142
BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of
Default Re: curly leaves on my lemon tree

Originally Posted by glynis
But if the tree is in the ground, should you fertilise? I can also get some fresh horse manure can you put it straight on the tree?
Planted in the ground it should get all the nutrients it needs.
I would suspect bugs as suggested by Fred.
Try an insecticide.
Spray it on quite liberally, leave it overnight, then spray clean water over the plant the next morning (without direct sunlight - you don't want to burn it) to wash off any excess insecticide.
BritBull is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2006, 12:53 pm
  #15  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: denia
Posts: 192
Sir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: curly leaves on my lemon tree

Originally Posted by BritBull
Planted in the ground it should get all the nutrients it needs.
I would suspect bugs as suggested by Fred.
Try an insecticide.
Spray it on quite liberally, leave it overnight, then spray clean water over the plant the next morning (without direct sunlight - you don't want to burn it) to wash off any excess insecticide.
I'm not a gardener but learning,i have lemon trees and orange trees in my garden in spain,the pervious owner said spray the trees with insecticide in september?,silly question but having just read a post does that mean the whole tree or leaves/flowers ect or trunk i would presume th eleaves and flowers am i wrong and is th etime correct just september,appreciate advice.

paris
Sir John is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement