Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Culture or Cruelty?

Culture or Cruelty?

Old Aug 17th 2015, 8:13 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Culture or Cruelty?

Porth.

I have read Bri and Katees post several times and as far as I am concerned they were giving information on what occurs at the bullfight and not supporting or applauding the actions.

Reputation is earned through receiving Karma not from Reported posts.

Rosemary
Old Aug 17th 2015, 9:25 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Porth is from 'round these parts. Lots of things happen in this world that many of us find objectionable. Animal cruelty is one of them.

But none of us can claim puritanism with respect to this topic. That doesn't make it right, but the Spanish cultural tradition of bullfighting is seriously struggling nowadays, and isn't likely to last more than a few more years..

I see that as progress, not a lack of it.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 9:27 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daily Telegraph

Originally Posted by Porth
And this

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute
I have to agree with Fred here. The list you give Porth sounds very much like animal rights hype.

There is no need to do any of that in a bullfight. A fight starts with the bull in the ring not facing a matador but a picador. It is his job to 'prepare' the bull for the matador.

The picador is on horseback and uses a lance to sever the muscles that control the bulls neck and fore legs, so that it slows the bull and it cannot turn easily - this gives the matador when he enters a much easier time of avoiding injury.

Barbaric yes, and eventually it will stop as Fred says, many younger spaniards have no interest, so it will die out.

However you are returning to the UK where the present tory government has just given the go ahead for a new breeding kennel in east yorkshire to breed beagles for experimentation. They are also trying to overturn the fox hunting ban and allow foxes to be torn apart by dogs.

In your indignation over animal cruelty here, don't forget its just as bad in the UK - if you look for it!
Bri and Katee is online now Add to Bri and Katee's Reputation Report Post

Gives the matador a much easier time. Of course not supportive but damning in whatever civilised society one lives in.
They are simply stating what happens at a bullfight and as far as I am aware they are correct. At no point do they say they even approve let alone applaud it.

If I were you I would drop it as you are not making much sense and get back to your preferred country - the land of the oh so ethical foie gras.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 8:25 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
I don't think Porth is from 'round these parts. Lots of things happen in this world that many of us find objectionable. Animal cruelty is one of them.

But none of us can claim puritanism with respect to this topic. That doesn't make it right, but the Spanish cultural tradition of bullfighting is seriously struggling nowadays, and isn't likely to last more than a few more years..

I see that as progress, not a lack of it.
I was offered excellent tickets to go to the bullring in Valencia a couple of years ago during Falla. I was informed that they were not for a bull fight but for a show of the bulls. When I refused I was told that in the past these tickets were gold dust but that the popularity of bull fighting had diminished.

I have talked to a lot of people in my area about this aspect of Spanish life and have not found anyone who would attend and they all say that they wish it would stop totally because not only do they hate it but that they also hate the fact that all Spanish people are labelled by it.

Roll on the day that it ends.

Rosemary