Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cultural Differences & Lost in Translation - Maybe?

Cultural Differences & Lost in Translation - Maybe?

Old May 16th 2007, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

lost in spain will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cultural Differences & Lost in Translation - Maybe?

"Dont know whether im pleased to hear that it also happens in the private international schools too? I suppose if its Spanish people working there then of course their way is their way.

I just cant beleive that they do not see what i see. I saw kids about 2 years old with sweets being pushed into the mouth then running, dont they see what I see"

Well Joanne, you wouldnt believe what can go on in international schools.
paying through the nose for your childs education is absolutely no guarantee at all.

I would say keep on being vigilant and express your views when you feel something is wrong. If an administration is as reactionary as the one you had to deal with, ie if you dont like it take your child and go, then I would keep an eye on things. If the head of a school reacts in such an uncaring inflexible manner what does it say about her people skills and the ethos of her school.
Old May 16th 2007, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

Lost in Spain,

I know, you are right, and today I have had a tough day thinking what to do. Im not 100% happy but my daughter is happy there at the moment and need to make sure what i do is for the right reasons. And that I make a decission when calm.

Dont suppose you know of any good schools in the Marbella area, where I wouldnt have such problems?
Old May 16th 2007, 10:39 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lost in spain
"Dont know whether im pleased to hear that it also happens in the private international schools too? I suppose if its Spanish people working there then of course their way is their way.

I just cant beleive that they do not see what i see. I saw kids about 2 years old with sweets being pushed into the mouth then running, dont they see what I see"

Well Joanne, you wouldnt believe what can go on in international schools.
paying through the nose for your childs education is absolutely no guarantee at all.

I would say keep on being vigilant and express your views when you feel something is wrong. If an administration is as reactionary as the one you had to deal with, ie if you dont like it take your child and go, then I would keep an eye on things. If the head of a school reacts in such an uncaring inflexible manner what does it say about her people skills and the ethos of her school.
When i was a young lad of about 7 ish , i nearly choked to death on a boiled sweet I was just walking and laughed and it sort of was half swallowed !! I was with my Mum at the time and i couldnt speak and she was asking whats wrong ! I started to panic and pointed at my throat , She started bashing me back trying to jolt it i guess , i was struggling to get air and i still remember to this day the Fear as i thought i was Going to snuff it !!

She then literally tipped me upside down and whacked me again this then dislodged it and i could breath again She says that i was changing colour And she was worried ..

Never allowed them again , and i got a clip round the ear for worrying her Amazing right , i nearly die and then whacked as well

You know from that day on when i see a kid with them Gobstoppers and stuff playing i always remember back and know how dangerous it is ..
So i agree giving the kids them whilst playing is asking for trouble ..
Old May 19th 2007, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Big Pete
When i was a young lad of about 7 ish , i nearly choked to death on a boiled sweet I was just walking and laughed and it sort of was half swallowed !! I was with my Mum at the time and i couldnt speak and she was asking whats wrong ! I started to panic and pointed at my throat , She started bashing me back trying to jolt it i guess , i was struggling to get air and i still remember to this day the Fear as i thought i was Going to snuff it !!

She then literally tipped me upside down and whacked me again this then dislodged it and i could breath again She says that i was changing colour And she was worried ..

Never allowed them again , and i got a clip round the ear for worrying her Amazing right , i nearly die and then whacked as well

You know from that day on when i see a kid with them Gobstoppers and stuff playing i always remember back and know how dangerous it is ..
So i agree giving the kids them whilst playing is asking for trouble ..

Im stressed just reading your story.

Sweets are just such a big thing here...example 3 kings day when sweets are thrown at you. Some people just dont seem to think anything of it.. I remember my little girl being about 1 year old and someone actually gave her one in the wrapper....I couldnt beleive it. Theres no asking the parents first!
Old May 21st 2007, 11:40 pm
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Cultural Differences & Lost in Translation - Maybe?

[QUOTE=Big Pete;4790683]When i was a young lad of about 7 ish , i nearly choked to death on a boiled sweet I was just walking and laughed and it sort of was half swallowed !! I was with my Mum at the time and i couldnt speak and she was asking whats wrong ! I started to panic and pointed at my throat , She started bashing me back trying to jolt it i guess , i was struggling to get air and i still remember to this day the Fear as i thought i was Going to snuff it !!

Exactly the same thing happened to me at about that age too Pete! I had a sweet and was laying down, my Mum said "sit up while you are eating that or you will choke"! Of course I knew much better than my Mum didn't I? I think I must have been about 8 or 9. "I said no I wont"! Yes I did! My Mum couldn't dislodge it, and my Dad picked me up and tipped me upside down and finally the sweet flew out!
So J0197, you are quite right to point out to the school something you feel is potentially dangerous. Good for you, and I hope you can either resolve this issue with the school, or find another which is more sympathetic in respecting your instructions in relation to your child's safety. Good luck to you, I hope you are able to resolve this problem!
Old May 21st 2007, 11:55 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I understand peoples' fears about the boiled sweets - but what's wrong with children sleeping in their buggies? My son used to do it all the time!
Old May 22nd 2007, 7:43 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
I understand peoples' fears about the boiled sweets - but what's wrong with children sleeping in their buggies? My son used to do it all the time!
having a nap in a buggy is one thing..........but strapping them in so that the play area can be used for a private party is somehing else altogether!
Old May 22nd 2007, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

I will not buy boiled sweets and my eldest boy is now 10. They are dangerous. But things are so different in this country. On the one hand I am pleased that I am not getting called by the school to say that one of my three children has fallen over etc and needs a plaster and could I come to the school and put a plaster on my child! I felt that I was living at the school in England. But two weeks ago my middle son, aged 8, came home with a black eye which had virtually closed up and he could not see out of his eye. He had knocked heads with another child. My OH said I overreacted when I said the school should have called me but I do not think so. He came home with a thumping headache and had to go to bed. Last week my eldest son, who suffers from nosebleeds, had a nosebleed at school. I have taught him how to deal with them but the school were adamant they knew better. They insisted that he lay on the floor with his head bent backwards with tissues shoved up his nose. He told me he was very frightened as he knew they were doing it all wrong and it took a long time to stop. Should I go to the school and give them a firstaid lesson in nosebleeds? Yes I know I have got to do something about his nosebleeds. Before we moved to Spain I saw our GP in the UK and he gave him some cream for his nose and said if he continued having nosebleeds he would have to have it cauterized. But he had his appendix removed about 8 weeks ago and he said he would never set foot in a Spanish hospital again - his care was fantastic though in the hospital.
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:27 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by battlezone123
I will not buy boiled sweets and my eldest boy is now 10. They are dangerous. But things are so different in this country. On the one hand I am pleased that I am not getting called by the school to say that one of my three children has fallen over etc and needs a plaster and could I come to the school and put a plaster on my child! I felt that I was living at the school in England. But two weeks ago my middle son, aged 8, came home with a black eye which had virtually closed up and he could not see out of his eye. He had knocked heads with another child. My OH said I overreacted when I said the school should have called me but I do not think so. He came home with a thumping headache and had to go to bed. Last week my eldest son, who suffers from nosebleeds, had a nosebleed at school. I have taught him how to deal with them but the school were adamant they knew better. They insisted that he lay on the floor with his head bent backwards with tissues shoved up his nose. He told me he was very frightened as he knew they were doing it all wrong and it took a long time to stop. Should I go to the school and give them a firstaid lesson in nosebleeds? Yes I know I have got to do something about his nosebleeds. Before we moved to Spain I saw our GP in the UK and he gave him some cream for his nose and said if he continued having nosebleeds he would have to have it cauterized. But he had his appendix removed about 8 weeks ago and he said he would never set foot in a Spanish hospital again - his care was fantastic though in the hospital.
Sorry to read that you are having a difficult time at the moment.

I wondered whether it would be worth you talking to the school about his nosebleeds and say that all the normal methods have been tried and do not work and that your son will manage to stop them himself as he has been taught by a Doctor on how to do it.

This may help to take the edge off it for you and puts the treatment suggested as medically preferred and not you being perhaps seen as being awkward. Less tension all around if someone else is highlighted/blamed rather than you or the school.

Rosemary
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:30 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by battlezone123
The reason you had to go and put a plaster on your child is because of the crazy regulations where you can get claimed against in court.
I hold an Immediate response UK first aid certificate awarded by The London Fire Brigade, but I am not allowed to assist without the injured parties consent.
Is it alright madam if I stop the blood gushing from your wound ?
If they are unconcious then you can carry out the first aid.
If someone is suffering a heart problem and is unable to reach the pills they take, I am allowed to take the pill out of the container and put it in their hand only, I am not allowed to administer it.
How crazy is that ?
Unfortunately this has come about because of the "Sue them attitude"
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:35 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
The reason you had to go and put a plaster on your child is because of the crazy regulations where you can get claimed against in court.
I hold an Immediate response UK first aid certificate awarded by The London Fire Brigade, but I am not allowed to assist without the injured parties consent.
Is it alright madam if I stop the blood gushing from your wound ?
If they are unconcious then you can carry out the first aid.
If someone is suffering a heart problem and is unable to reach the pills they take, I am allowed to take the pill out of the container and put it in their hand only, I am not allowed to administer it.
How crazy is that ?
Unfortunately this has come about because of the "Sue them attitude"
Crazy world.

The girls where I worked all relied on me for paracetemol when they needed it. A large bottle was kept in my drawer and they used to ask permission to go to my drawer so that I was not the provider. Madness or what.

Rosemary
Old May 25th 2007, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

lost in spain will become famous soon enough

Quote: "Dont suppose you know of any good schools in the Marbella area, where I wouldnt have such problems?"

I worked at Aloha college in the Marbella area. The safety standards there were good, the head of primary Mrs Batchelor, who I believe is still there was great with the children. The children loved her and the atmosphere in the school was good.

I can imagine that it is difficult for you to decide. As an employee of schools on the coast I feel a bit battered myself!

Theres one international school in particular that I think should be closed down this instant, but its not in your area so dont worry.

I just feel that schools need to run and be staffed by individuals who model correct behaviours. Pupils and staff and parents need to respected by school administrations. This doesnt always seem to be the case, staff get bullied as well as children. But that is another issue. But again I do believe that the culture in a school needs to be healthy for all parties involved in it to benefit.

I know members of staff at St Bedes in Estepona who tell me its a good school.

Theres a web site called the www.internationalschoolsreview.com which gives reviews of schools written by teachers, its designed to used as a resource by teachers but it gives a real insiders view of schools. I think you have to pay to access the reviews but there are a few schools on there in your area.

Good luck with your decision making, and if your little girl is happy take comfort from that at least.
Old May 31st 2007, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thats good info, thank you.

Aloha is in our mind and I do think that my daughter will end up there. I am waiting to see if I can get her into the local public school first of all as I personally would like her to go the Spanish Route at least whilst she is young.

Its funny how it all changes....when they are young you think " right, she is going to Spanish School" and be part of it, then when you go to see them, things change. Aloha was the last on our list to see and it turned out to be really nice. Although extremely pricey. Ive learnt that you mustnt listen to all the rumours and must make your own mind up.

Thanks very much again