Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cullera or Gandía?

Cullera or Gandía?

Old Aug 5th 2015, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

mah88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cullera or Gandía?

I'm looking to spend a couple of months somewhere not too far from Valencia from next month.

It has to be not too far from Valencia as I have friends there and we want to hang out regularly.

I think Gandía would be the furthest point away, as I think it's like an hour away by train. Cullera is half way in between so is another option.

I also looked at Sagunto but doesn't look very appealing.

I'm 26 and would be going with my parents so would be good if there's a mix of things to do and see (culture, good shops, social clubs, evening classes, etc., nice restaurants, not too many Brits, etc.).

I would appreciate any advice, thanks!
Old Aug 5th 2015, 5:05 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cullera or Gandía?

Gandia would probably provide all on your wish list because it is much bigger but be aware that the beach area is a distance from the town. There are less shops and Brits in Cullera.

Rosemary
Old Aug 5th 2015, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Gandia would probably provide all on your wish list because it is much bigger but be aware that the beach area is a distance from the town. There are less shops and Brits in Cullera.

Rosemary
Hmm, the only thing that puts me off really about Gandía is that it's an hour away from Valencia.

I mean, Cullera must have decent high street shops etc., but how about the other things? I suppose I could join a club in Valencia if it's only 30 minutes away.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 11:17 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

On the train, Gandia to Cullera is about 20 mins, so its not that much further .... and having had experience of both I would say Gandia is worthwhile being a little bit further away from Valencia for. The trains are great, always clean and a pleasure usually to travel on.

Gandia has a lot going for it, I found it a lovely town
Old Aug 6th 2015, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
On the train, Gandia to Cullera is about 20 mins, so its not that much further .... and having had experience of both I would say Gandia is worthwhile being a little bit further away from Valencia for. The trains are great, always clean and a pleasure usually to travel on.

Gandia has a lot going for it, I found it a lovely town
I will second that. Gandia offers far more than Cullera and is not seasonal.

If it's closeness to the beach you want that is a different matter. The town is a couple of kms. from the beach area and to all intents and purposes is a separate town in itself and can be quiet in the winter.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 7:41 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Cullera does not have any of the high street shops. Plenty of restaurants and gift shops, the usual shops that are in most seaside places. It is where people from Madrid have flats for the summer so it is dead in the winter with most of the restaurants closing. I go there regularly throughout the year in order to walk on the seafront and have lunch but cannot go there in August as it is absolutely packed so it is impossible to park. People in the area go to Valencia when they want to shop for clothes etc.

Gandia has a good shopping centre, although I shop there regularly I am not sure how many of the "normal" high street shops they have because I do not tend to use them but prefer to buy from the independent shopkeepers. Plenty of restaurants that are open year round.

The seafront at Gandia is much, much smarter and pleasanter to walk along than Cullera but it is totally separate although there is (I believe) a good bus service to and fro the town.

Rosemary
Old Aug 6th 2015, 8:16 am

Another factor that might help you with the decision is that the railway station in Gandia is in the town centre right beside the shops and a bus goes from there to the seafront. The railway station in Cullera is 3 kms from the seafront, there are buses but I have no idea how frequent they are.

Rosemary
Old Aug 6th 2015, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your advice. It seems Gandía is the better place to be, especially between September and November. Plus I have one friend already there anyway.

Does anyone know if there are toilets/food services on the train from Gandía to Valencia? Thanks!
Old Aug 6th 2015, 2:01 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mah88
Thank you all for your advice. It seems Gandía is the better place to be
Good advice. Never struck me as a place overrun with Brits either.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 2:52 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your advice. It seems Gandía is the better place to be, especially between September and November. Plus I have one friend already there anyway.

Does anyone know if there are toilets/food services on the train from Gandía to Valencia? Thanks!
Not food services no, but there are toilets. As I said, they are very good trains. At Fallas you might even get a band on them who choose to play on the way home :-)

Thinking back, I do remember going to Cullera in the winter season, and it was closed :-)
Old Aug 6th 2015, 2:59 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Early October in Gandia is FIESTA time!!!
Fair, markets, bands, processions - a great time and great atmosphere.

And I find Gandia is a lot more lively in the winter than Cullera...

Toilets yes.
Food no - but nothing stops you bringing food you bought else where - but I have not seen many people eating on the train at all..
Old Aug 6th 2015, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Not food services no, but there are toilets. As I said, they are very good trains. At Fallas you might even get a band on them who choose to play on the way home :-)
brilliant!
Old Aug 6th 2015, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Guy
Early October in Gandia is FIESTA time!!!
Fair, markets, bands, processions - a great time and great atmosphere.

And I find Gandia is a lot more lively in the winter than Cullera...

Toilets yes.
Food no - but nothing stops you bringing food you bought else where - but I have not seen many people eating on the train at all..
Oh perfect! Would love to experience that.

Ah yeah, true!
Old Aug 6th 2015, 6:54 pm
Senior Moment

Oh perfect! Would love to experience that.

Ah yeah, true!
In the summer they have open air concerts in the cultural centre which is just off the main paseo. Used to enjoy those. Big market there every week as well which is just over the river bridge, and there is often a fair on there as well at fiesta time
Old Aug 7th 2015, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

In the summer they have open air concerts in the cultural centre which is just off the main paseo. Used to enjoy those. Big market there every week as well which is just over the river bridge, and there is often a fair on there as well at fiesta time

I meant to ask: would you say 'Gandía Shore' isn't a fair representation of Gandía? As in, full of the kind of party animals u get in Ibiza etc.?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.