Reload this Page >

Crossing Spanish / French border

Crossing Spanish / French border

Old May 17th 2020, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

N3r0-N3tj4cK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Crossing Spanish / French border

Hi there,

Does anyone know if it is possible to cross into France from Spain via train at the moment? I don't drive and need to return to the UK (where I'm a resident).

I know there are flights from Barcelona, but I wondered if other forms of transport are an option.

Thanks!
Old May 17th 2020, 4:22 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crossing Spanish / French border

Originally Posted by N3r0-N3tj4cK
Hi there,

Does anyone know if it is possible to cross into France from Spain via train at the moment? I don't drive and need to return to the UK (where I'm a resident).

I know there are flights from Barcelona, but I wondered if other forms of transport are an option.

Thanks!
Hi, a quick check on the SNCF site showed that there are morning TGVs from Perpignan to Paris which would enable you to get a Eurostar the same day, but no train from Barcelona.
So, you'd have to get to Perpignan by car/taxi and avoid taking the Métro or Bus to the Gare du Nord in Paris. You'd also have to download the Attestation to show that you're returning "home" via France, and the checks in the Stations seem to be quite strict, as people in France can only travel 100 km from home at the moment unless they have a valid reason to go further.
If there are flights from Barcelona, this seems to be the best plan....
Old May 17th 2020, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Yes, thank you. I have the Attestation form downloaded. Just looking at options really, I'm not sure how reliable the flights from Barcelona are.
Old May 17th 2020, 5:21 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

Well I for one won't be flying anytime soon; I want to live! I am in the vulnerable group so for me, the extra cost of driving to the UK HAS to be worthwhile.

For youngsters, who are far more likely to consider COVID 19 as "a flu like problem" they are not as vulnerable so can take that chance if they so wish.

Davexf
Old May 17th 2020, 5:56 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wary of non-official statements made in newspapers, but I've just seen this

https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fren...uXNa6H4Xwm4T2o

which gives food for thought.....
Old May 18th 2020, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

SimonJ22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dxf

For youngsters, who are far more likely to consider COVID 19 as "a flu like problem" they are not as vulnerable so can take that chance if they so wish.

Davexf
This is looking like it is not the case. Link
Old May 18th 2020, 5:59 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SimonJ22
This is looking like it is not the case. Link
Hola

I have seen charts of the COVID-19 deaths where the vast majority of the deaths are over 70 years old. The percentage of deaths in the under 30's is minimal by comparison.

The link states that they have seen clotting which causes strokes whereas the charts I have seen solely looked at deaths. I still believe the young are not as likely to die as us old 'uns

Davexf
Old May 18th 2020, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

SimonJ22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

I have seen charts of the COVID-19 deaths where the vast majority of the deaths are over 70 years old. The percentage of deaths in the under 30's is minimal by comparison.

The link states that they have seen clotting which causes strokes whereas the charts I have seen solely looked at deaths. I still believe the young are not as likely to die as us old 'uns

Davexf
It's not as bad yet, but it is growing https://www.euronews.com/2020/04/27/...officials-warn
Old May 18th 2020, 8:47 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Young (as opposed to old) Britons have passed through France recently, either returning home to the UK or home to Spain/Portugal, but by car. They took enough food and drink to last the whole journey, and all made it.
But by train? Another SNCF check for a day this week shows that there's at least one change for Perpignan-Paris, not convenient in Montpellier if you have a lot of luggage. No seats available on other days. Avoid the Paris Métro if you're heavily laden, not to mention the close proximity to other travellers even if strict measures are imposed, and queue up for a taxi to the Gare du Nord.... No restaurants, cafés or bars are open, and you'd have to find out whether you can buy take-away in the trains and railway stations (being confined to within 100 km from my domicile, I can't advise you there...)
However (un)reliable the flights from Barcelona are, they can't be worse than the many imponderables that you risk facing by travelling through France in several trains.
Fore-warned is fore-armed!!

Last edited by dmu; May 18th 2020 at 8:49 am.
Old May 18th 2020, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SimonJ22
It's not as bad yet, but it is growing https://www.euronews.com/2020/04/27/...officials-warn
To be honest there is so much research going on re covid 19 with possible links etc being thrown up. The link shows a possible connection to Kawasaki syndrome. But Kawasaki syndrome is not new it was first identified in Japan in 1967 and diagnosed outside of Japan in 1976. So ok there may well be a link? But its not new. The most reliable current medical information shows that younger people are less affected by covid 19 or certainly suffer lesser affects. That of course doesn't stop them being carriers but that in itself is still being researched. For me being over 65 it makes sense to be as cautious as one can re this virus.
Old May 18th 2020, 9:16 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
The most reliable current medical information shows that younger people are less affected by covid 19 or certainly suffer lesser affects.
I would suggest that is not a big surprise and is true for almost every disease.
Old May 20th 2020, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
Young (as opposed to old) Britons have passed through France recently, either returning home to the UK or home to Spain/Portugal, but by car. They took enough food and drink to last the whole journey, and all made it.
But by train? Another SNCF check for a day this week shows that there's at least one change for Perpignan-Paris, not convenient in Montpellier if you have a lot of luggage. No seats available on other days. Avoid the Paris Métro if you're heavily laden, not to mention the close proximity to other travellers even if strict measures are imposed, and queue up for a taxi to the Gare du Nord.... No restaurants, cafés or bars are open, and you'd have to find out whether you can buy take-away in the trains and railway stations (being confined to within 100 km from my domicile, I can't advise you there...)
However (un)reliable the flights from Barcelona are, they can't be worse than the many imponderables that you risk facing by travelling through France in several trains.
Fore-warned is fore-armed!!
Thanks for your replies.