Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Crossing from Spain to Portugal by land

Crossing from Spain to Portugal by land

Old Dec 6th 2021, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crossing from Spain to Portugal by land

Originally Posted by CamemBert
i know you didn’t mention flying. The OP did, however. Since you seem merely to be heading over the border for minor errands, ignore the rules at your own risk if you want. I can’t see what point you are trying to make: nobody checked you yet, so therefore what the rules say must be wrong?
I do not, will not ignore the rules as published. I do not regard my weekly physio after a car accident minor nor my wife’s podiatry needs, lunch may be but it has been our routine for 11 years and if it is within the updated regs who am I to quibble.
(Triple jabbed Pfizer and flu jab, always follow mask requirements and more FFTP2. I would get a FFTP3 masks if I could find them).
Old Dec 6th 2021, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
a large no of PT CITIZENS have bought or rent property on ESURI but still work in PT. The regulations as first announced would have made it economically unviable for them to go to work every day. Within a couple of days the updated regs I quoted above were published. If this was because of EU/Schengen pressure who knows but cross border working and freedom of movement is sacrosanct in Brussels. The outcome is a sensible compromise in my view unless the situation deteriorates to the point where border closures are imposed. If and when we go to England next we will get our antigen test in Monte Gordo where we have found a tiny clinic that gives great service and is very rapid and low cost!
Part of the problem is the British, island mentality of borders and barriers. There is also a very similar situation with the Spanish/French border with people living and working in Spain but living in France or vice versa. That's what I like about it here, that wonderful interaction between EU states and the variety. Freedom of movement very definitely is sacrosanct.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

My boss is coming backward and forward from Portugal to Spain 3/4 times a week. Shows his Portugal ID card and vaccination certificate and is waved through. The checks are random not permanent from what he says. I fly across from Jerez to Portamao twice a week for meetings and get asked nothing.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

A week tomorrow I am on a flight from Faro home to Scotland. I now need to book a PCR test to be allowed to enter Scotland at Edinburgh Airport. I am double vaccinated. Does anyone know if the staff at the San Roque Clinic in Ayamonte speak English ? I believe they do the PCR Travel Test ?
Old Dec 6th 2021, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airways
My boss is coming backward and forward from Portugal to Spain 3/4 times a week. Shows his Portugal ID card and vaccination certificate and is waved through. The checks are random not permanent from what he says. I fly across from Jerez to Portamao twice a week for meetings and get asked nothing.
No checks today and I would have expected them. It’s a bank holiday ES and half of Huelva Province seems to go to PT for lunch.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
A week tomorrow I am on a flight from Faro home to Scotland. I now need to book a PCR test to be allowed to enter Scotland at Edinburgh Airport. I am double vaccinated. Does anyone know if the staff at the San Roque Clinic in Ayamonte speak English ? I believe they do the PCR Travel Test ?
Some do and it is very easy to do but it is best to make an appointment they do run out of slots
Old Dec 6th 2021, 12:17 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I would get a FFTP3 masks if I could find them).
https://www.amazon.es/s?k=FFP3&__mk_...f=nb_sb_noss_2
Old Dec 6th 2021, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

CamemBert is an unknown quantity at this point

a large no of PT CITIZENS have bought or rent property on ESURI but still work in PT. The regulations as first announced would have made it economically unviable for them to go to work every day. Within a couple of days the updated regs I quoted above were published. If this was because of EU/Schengen pressure who knows but cross border working and freedom of movement is sacrosanct in Brussels. The outcome is a sensible compromise in my view unless the situation deteriorates to the point where border closures are imposed. If and when we go to England next we will get our antigen test in Monte Gordo where we have found a tiny clinic that gives great service and is very rapid and low cost!
Cross-border workers are specifically exempted from the test requirement.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I did not mention flying. Lots of people here in Ayamonte, especially Costa Rsuri cross the border daily
Approximately 15,000 workers cross from Spain into Gibraltar daily and have continued to do so daily since the first covid restrictions

However they were required to show a valid Gibraltar work contract.

This very quickly revealed those working illegally with gaps in workforces, especially noticeable amongst people in the cleaning and or care sector.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

I do not, will not ignore the rules as published. I do not regard my weekly physio after a car accident minor nor my wife’s podiatry needs, lunch may be but it has been our routine for 11 years and if it is within the updated regs who am I to quibble.
(Triple jabbed Pfizer and flu jab, always follow mask requirements and more FFTP2. I would get a FFTP3 masks if I could find them).
What is the Portaria number of the “updated regs” you cite?
Old Dec 6th 2021, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

The most updated legal (as opposed to journalistic) information can be found in Resolution of the Council of Ministers 157/2021 of 27 November, to be found here

https://dre.pt/dre/detalhe/resolucao...2021-175043501

and in translation here

https://www.safecommunitiesportugal....s-no-157-2021/

Article 22 should be of particular interest to anyone who thinks they don’t need a test to enter Portugal by land.

Old Dec 6th 2021, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ordered delivery 9/12
Old Dec 6th 2021, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lou71
Part of the problem is the British, island mentality of borders and barriers. There is also a very similar situation with the Spanish/French border with people living and working in Spain but living in France or vice versa. That's what I like about it here, that wonderful interaction between EU states and the variety. Freedom of movement very definitely is sacrosanct.
On another website I use the nom de guerre “one house two countries” and enjoy the freedoms as much as I can as the spouse of a EU citizen with a U.K. passport just bitterly regret loosing my own freedoms in the current omnishambles.
Old Dec 9th 2021, 10:29 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
San Roque do the RAT test for €30 they have English speaking help. I was tested 1/12 for my return via Faro. The test was for entry into PT (and in case the airlines asked for it. ) On 1/12 the rules changed requiring all entry into PT to have a valid -ve test. I strongly recommend that you book your test in advance, as we did - the clinic was mobbed from December

​​​​​​Your signed/stamped result, QR code is given within 15 mins. We crossed the border with a package of documents each. The Covid pass, -ve test, boarding cards and the PLF. All cars were stopped, we had rented a PT car with PT plates, but as soon as I said we we had been staying in Spain, the police officer sent us to a 2nd control. This was manned by a professional SEF officer (border control). He politely explained the rules, confirmed that the -ve test was a requirement even if we were going directly to the airport + heading out of PT . In fact he told us not to trash the -ve test till we got home to Brussels as the airport could ban boarding. (Belgium didn't need the test so we weren't asked for it)

We are so glad that we got the test - which we checked in advance with the PT police, as we could have been turned back.

My understanding is that the rules have changed for land entry since, and the covid pass is sufficient. Also the EU are in the process of restricting EU travel to the vax3's from Jan 10, or a negative and valid test for vax2's or below.

Im not bothering to check as everything can change quickly as it did in PT so the next time we wish to travel we will do it then. Also I echo the point that one should only consult the official government sites re travel requirements, the press got it wrong, and I got into an argument with someone who told me I had gotten it wrong. When he heard of our experience at the border, he apologised....
Jon

Old Dec 10th 2021, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Spain is red according to the ECDC report. The content below is from Safe Communities Portugal, published yesterday.

·
LAND BORDERS - CONTROL AND FINES FOR NOT COMPLYING WITH THE RULES
At land borders, also since December 1st, people arriving from countries outside the European Union and from EU countries considered to be at red or dark red risk (according to the ECDC report) need a negative test OR recovery certificate to enter Portugal.
People from EU countries considered to be at low or moderate risk must carry a vaccination OR test OR recovery certificate to enter Portugal.
Until December 6, the GNR and SEF carried out 945 random inspection operations at land borders to ensure that tests were carried out for covid-19, according to the Minister of Internal Affairs (MAI).
Within the scope of these operations, 8,652 cars, trucks and motorcycles, 294 buses and 2 trains were inspected, which originated 26 fines for lack of a test or recovery certificate.
MAI also states that 262 Covid tests were carried out at the land borders.
NOTE - FINES for travelers not presenting a test on arrival, can range from 300 to 800 euros.