Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Crossing from Spain to Portugal by land

Crossing from Spain to Portugal by land

Old Dec 4th 2021, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Woodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant future
Default Crossing from Spain to Portugal by land

I read somewhere on this site of concerns and confusion about crossing the border from Spain to Portugal particularly for folk travelling to Faro airport for return to the UK.
It would appear that as of 4th November the NHS COVID pass is accepted in the eu as equivalent to the eu digital covid certificatehttps://www.digitalhealth.net/2021/1...cation-scheme/
Then the below link states that crossing the border by land travel only requires this certificate, unlike flying in.https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...l/index_en.htm

What are the rules to enter this country with or without the EU Digital COVID certificate from an EU Member State or Schengen Associated country?

i was pleased to find this information and hope it helps. Kim

Last edited by Woodzie; Dec 4th 2021 at 9:01 am.
Old Dec 4th 2021, 8:55 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crossing from Spain to Portugal by land

Reopen.eu has the answers to these kinds of questions:

There are no restrictions on entering by land but you won't be able to do things which need a Covid pass.
Old Dec 5th 2021, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

CamemBert is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DLC
Reopen.eu has the answers to these kinds of questions:

There are no restrictions on entering by land but you won't be able to do things which need a Covid pass.
​​​​​​

Oh, but there are. To enter PT, even by land, you need a negative test certificate. Spot checks are being carried out.

https://www.safecommunitiesportugal.com/resolution-of-council-of-ministers-no-157-2021/

Old Dec 5th 2021, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Woodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CamemBert
​​​​​​

Oh, but there are. To enter PT, even by land, you need a negative test certificate. Spot checks are being carried out.

https://www.safecommunitiesportugal....s-no-157-2021/
This articule gives the same information that I posted. Just make sure you’re carrying your eu digital covid certificate or for UK residents the NHS covid pass which has now been accepted and recognised by the eu. 👍
Old Dec 5th 2021, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

The problem is NO ONE actually appears to know what the situation is.

Land Borders are covered under article 22 of the Law. It says the provisions of paragraphs 1, 2 and 4 of article 18, paragraphs 1, 2, 9 and 10 of article 19 and article 20 shall apply. I have a PDF of the actual Law. PM me if you want a copy. Alternatively just follow the link kindly posted above as it's in English. It's not a very good translation nor is it official but it is better than I could do .

The problem is visitportugal, the governments tourism, says something different to the Law. The English version is at
https://www.visitportugal.com/en/con...ented-portugal.

It gets worse as their COVID says something else: again

https://covid19estamoson.gov.pt/medi...embro-de-2021/

Anyway ​​​given the UK's (ex NI ) new rules from 4am on Tuesday it becomes somewhat academic in the specific situation the OP posed. A PCR or LFD test is going to be needed.

Best
Loco

​​​​
​​
Old Dec 5th 2021, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Woodzie
This articule gives the same information that I posted. Just make sure you’re carrying your eu digital covid certificate or for UK residents the NHS covid pass which has now been accepted and recognised by the eu. 👍
Nope. The point is that a digital certificate based on vaccination doesn’t cut it any more. You need a recovery certificate or a negative test.
Old Dec 5th 2021, 5:12 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​​​

https://www.safecommunitiesportugal....s-no-157-2021/

Thanks for putting me right.

I'm starting to think the only time people can find out the rules as they stand now in a clear concise way is about a week after they've all changed again and are out of date.
Old Dec 5th 2021, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

This is the key passage from the current PT regs.

“2) Arriving to Portugal by Land

Citizens from EU countries considered to be at low or moderate risk must hold a COVID EU Digital Certificate, in the form of vaccination, testing or recovery.”
Seems to me we don’t have to have a reason other than we want to go over!
We have crossed over Friday, Saturday and Sunday firstly to the chiropodist, secondly to my physio and today for lunch.
stops and checks were in place Friday and Saturday but non today.
Showed triple jab cert & TIE and waved through.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
This is the key passage from the current PT regs.

“2) Arriving to Portugal by Land

Citizens from EU countries considered to be at low or moderate risk must hold a COVID EU Digital Certificate, in the form of vaccination, testing or recovery.”
Seems to me we don’t have to have a reason other than we want to go over!
We have crossed over Friday, Saturday and Sunday firstly to the chiropodist, secondly to my physio and today for lunch.
stops and checks were in place Friday and Saturday but non today.
Showed triple jab cert & TIE and waved through.
That’s out of date. Vaccination certificate now has to be accompanied by test. If they weren’t enforcing it, that was luck. I wouldn’t rely on that if I had a flight to catch.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

That’s out of date. Vaccination certificate now has to be accompanied by test. If they weren’t enforcing it, that was luck. I wouldn’t rely on that if I had a flight to catch.
I think you might be conflating two sets of regs PT/UK. You need the antigen/PCR to enter UK therefore to board Ryanair. If you are just going to shop or for lunch it is not needed. We are going for lunch to today to Monte Francisco so will let you know if we get turned around for no test certificate.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

I think you might be conflating two sets of regs PT/UK. You need the antigen/PCR to enter UK therefore to board Ryanair. If you are just going to shop or for lunch it is not needed. We are going for lunch to today to Monte Francisco so will let you know if we get turned around for no test certificate.
I am not following the UK rules at all currently, but might just happen to know the PT ones. The state of ‘calamity’, valid until Jan, requires a test certificate for entry including by land. Since you don’t have a flight to catch it’s OK to ignore that if you like, but my purpose was to inform the OP who needs to get to the airport.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

These spot checks must be very random, we haven't seen any extra police presence at the Ayamonte-Castro Marim crossing. I assume the Portuguese police are stopping people close to the police station? My neighbour (in Portugal) works in that very building so I'll ask him when I next run into him.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am not following the UK rules at all currently, but might just happen to know the PT ones. The state of ‘calamity’, valid until Jan, requires a test certificate for entry including by land. Since you don’t have a flight to catch it’s OK to ignore that if you like, but my purpose was to inform the OP who needs to get to the airport.
I did not mention flying. Lots of people here in Ayamonte, especially Costa Rsuri cross the border daily
Old Dec 6th 2021, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

I did not mention flying. Lots of people here in Ayamonte, especially Costa Rsuri cross the border daily
i know you didn’t mention flying. The OP did, however. Since you seem merely to be heading over the border for minor errands, ignore the rules at your own risk if you want. I can’t see what point you are trying to make: nobody checked you yet, so therefore what the rules say must be wrong?
Old Dec 6th 2021, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I did not mention flying. Lots of people here in Ayamonte, especially Costa Esuri cross the border daily
a large no of PT CITIZENS have bought or rent property on ESURI but still work in PT. The regulations as first announced would have made it economically unviable for them to go to work every day. Within a couple of days the updated regs I quoted above were published. If this was because of EU/Schengen pressure who knows but cross border working and freedom of movement is sacrosanct in Brussels. The outcome is a sensible compromise in my view unless the situation deteriorates to the point where border closures are imposed. If and when we go to England next we will get our antigen test in Monte Gordo where we have found a tiny clinic that gives great service and is very rapid and low cost!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.