Reload this Page >

Crossing France-Spain border

Crossing France-Spain border

Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:00 am
Just Joined

wonder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Crossing France-Spain border

Hi there,

I was wondering if one of you have advice for me about the current haulage strikes and driving across the border (at La Jonquera).

I live in the south of France and I have friends who plan to drive from Girona to visit me on Saturday.

Do you think they will have trouble crossing the border? They have a small child and I really dont want them to get into any big delays or hassle. Should I tell them to wait till Sunday?

Maybe one of you knows more than me about the situation there at the moment.

Thank you for any advice!
Old Jun 12th 2008, 9:32 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crossing France-Spain border

Are they blocking the border then?
Its usually fairly quick to get through. I haven't been out to be honest so I dont know what the general effect is.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Apparently they were blocking lorrys and only letting cars through, and this caused delays. Dont know if they are still there, or if there will be delays at the weekend, or how bad the delays were. Honestly, every time friends visit, there is some disruption caused by one strike or another....
Old Jun 12th 2008, 2:47 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wonder
Hi there,

I was wondering if one of you have advice for me about the current haulage strikes and driving across the border (at La Jonquera).

I live in the south of France and I have friends who plan to drive from Girona to visit me on Saturday.

Do you think they will have trouble crossing the border? They have a small child and I really dont want them to get into any big delays or hassle. Should I tell them to wait till Sunday?

Maybe one of you knows more than me about the situation there at the moment.

Thank you for any advice!
Go on www.infotrafic.com or www.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.fr tomorrow to see what the latest situation is, and decide then.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 3:37 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

I read in the news today that the police had yesterday been clearing the blockaids, so the situation does appear to be at least improving.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

janet57 is an unknown quantity at this point

my partner travelled to spain yaesterday and had to go over pau instead of irun the traffic jam was 200km long but that was wagons not cars
Old Jun 12th 2008, 3:57 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Riot police have been out today clearing blockades and they are now, apparently, allowing fuel and food vehicles through. This was after a couple of people had been run over at one blockade, and there was a lorry set on fire with the driver still in his cab, he is apparently in Alicante hospital with severe burns. Same applies at the Portugese border. Make take some days for food situation to stabalise as there are loads of vehicles full of rotting food around.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the information all!
Old Jun 12th 2008, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Dreadful nws about people being run over and burned. The whole thing sounds horrible.