Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Crisis? Increase of 4.5% tourists in July

Crisis? Increase of 4.5% tourists in July

Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:24 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Crisis? Increase of 4.5% tourists in July

(article in Spanish)

http://aviaciondigitalglobal.com/not...&NotDesignId=4

The numbers of international tourists visiting Spain has increased by 4.5% in July, with the Balearics, Catalunya, Andalucia and Valencia regions seeing the biggest influx. Even the numbers coming from the UK has increased (by 1%).
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:00 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crisis? Increase of 4.5% tourists in July

What I've seen with my own eyes, is the increase in the number of Spanish holidaymakers to my area of the Costa. Some are making their way home this weekend, mostly to Madrid, and there are millions of them.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:11 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
What I've seen with my own eyes, is the increase in the number of Spanish holidaymakers to my area of the Costa. Some are making their way home this weekend, mostly to Madrid, and there are millions of them.
Thats exactly what I've seen too!!! I've been down to Benalmadena, Fuengirola and Torremolinos over the summer a fair bit and each time its been heaving and the majority of people are Spanish!! One day, we were on an extremely busy Benalmadena beach and I think we were the only British there and the Spanish do like their parasols, we could barely move for them!!!! A distinct lack of Brits, but a few scandinavian, germans, belgiuns........... I think (not sure on languages lol)!!

But yes, it does seem that tourism is alive and kicking again

Jo xxx
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:41 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Thats exactly what I've seen too!!! I've been down to Benalmadena, Fuengirola and Torremolinos over the summer a fair bit and each time its been heaving and the majority of people are Spanish!! One day, we were on an extremely busy Benalmadena beach and I think we were the only British there and the Spanish do like their parasols, we could barely move for them!!!! A distinct lack of Brits, but a few scandinavian, germans, belgiuns........... I think (not sure on languages lol)!!

But yes, it does seem that tourism is alive and kicking again

Jo xxx
There are loads of European tourists (including a fair number of Spanish) here in London too.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I had a meeting on the south side of Tower Bridge last week and had to fight my way across. It was like leaving a football match! All nationalities.
Great views though.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

dooper will become famous soon enough

Coastal Spain hasnt had any appeal for me for many years.

The grubby strip of cheap Eeenglish bars,the over crowding and overbuilding,the timeshare touts....no,id rather stay home or go elsewhere.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dooper
Coastal Spain hasnt had any appeal for me for many years.

The grubby strip of cheap Eeenglish bars,the over crowding and overbuilding,the timeshare touts....no,id rather stay home or go elsewhere.
Agree, go elsewhere is my solution, stay well away from the dreaded coastal strip. You don't have to go far from the coast to find a more pleasing part of Spain. There's a lot of big, empty spaces out there. Mind you, I'm all for the Benidorms/Torrevieja/Fuengirola etc, they suit the needs of millions and leave the interior less crowded! Has to be good! If you do feel the need for the coast, try Costa de la Luz, it still has a few years before it goes the way of the rest. Hopefully CDL can see the mess they have made of the rest of the coasts and learn from that, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 9:18 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

According to bits of news coming out this week there were more tourists but mainly spanish. As with all spanish stats they provide conflicting results. One article said more tourists but they are staying for fewer nights, another said that sun-lounger hire was down 25%. What they need to get back is the year round visitors instead of wham bang July and August. Unemployment rose in August as the lay-offs began at the end of the month after the season. There is no way I would take a beach holiday anywhere in Europe during August.

There was an article in Sur yesterday saying they need to get the British to come back.........anyone read the comments below
Old Sep 4th 2010, 9:22 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I think the windy weather will protect the costa de la luz from turning into the CDS. Also it's not close to an international airport. Some parts have some ugly developments though.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Crisis? Increase of 4.5% tourists in July

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I think the windy weather will protect the costa de la luz from turning into the CDS. Also it's not close to an international airport. Some parts have some ugly developments though.
Aymonte is only 35 mins from Faro International. i would not want to be much closer to a noisy place like an airport.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 9:40 am
Banned

Yes that's true but then it has some ugly developments. I was thinking more about the area around Tarifa, Vejer from a tourist point of view as they are a long drive from an international airport. The rise of Torremolinos etc. was because the average tourist likes to be on a bus and in a Hotel within half an hour or so.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 9:48 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

The remaining Madrilenos go home this weekend and when I have to go into town I will be able to find a parking space. I've got nothing against Madrilenos, but they're a noisy lot and hog the beaches. And they don't go to bed until the early hours.

I've seen very few British holidaymakers this year, perhaps they've all gone to Turkey.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

I expect that if you are in a tourist-related business, then you look for 'more spending' rather than 'more punters'. If you are merely a resident looking for some peace (and room on the beach), then you might agree that 'fewer but richer' is better than 'more but poor'.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

There was an article in Sur yesterday saying they need to get the British to come back.........anyone read the comments below
You mean one's like this? I notice the one about knocking down Brit houses had a Brit name!
Hoolignas no, Gracias!
Old Sep 4th 2010, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Crisis? Increase of 4.5% tourists in July

Yes that's true but then it has some ugly developments. I was thinking more about the area around Tarifa, Vejer from a tourist point of view as they are a long drive from an international airport. The rise of Torremolinos etc. was because the average tourist likes to be on a bus and in a Hotel within half an hour or so.
Jerez has lost some flights but I am sure sure they will come back. There is a ban on high rise on the CDL so no Benidorm here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.