Crime in Spain

Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Mark1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Crime in Spain

Hi,
I am moving to Spain in a few days time, I will be driving from Santander down to Chiclana, I have just been reading some threads that refer to highway robberies and crime in Spain. Has anyone heard about this? should I be worried?

Also, what is the crime rate like in Chiclana? more specifically in between La Barrosa and Las Veguetas? there are only 6 or so other houses in the street?

Any thoughts, experiences and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Crime in Spain

Don't get the idea that there are Dick Turpin-esque bandits on every stretch of road. People have been robbed and ripped off, but I'm sure it's a small figure.

When you think about it, I'll bet if you if put your most treasured possessions in your car and drove up and down England a few times the chances of getting turned over would be about the same.

Be sensible about it, plan your journey, make sure your mobile is handy, keep the doors locked, don't have all your expensive items on show and don't go sightseeing in slum areas with all the windows down.

Hope you have a great trip and enjoy the adventure that is moving to Spain!
Good luck!

Ste.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:19 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Also check back on the police thread last week and put those numbers in your mobile phone before you get here, When you call your GPS ref from your mobile is registered so if you do not know where you are they do from your GPS position. There is an English speaking police line thereon take it down.But just take care as has been stated and you will have a wonderful time. Common-sense being the rule of thumb. Do not stop if helpful people draw alongside your car pointing at the rear tyre area its an old scam whilst you are out of the car and distracted another member of the team will nip around the other side of the car and take the wife's handbag etc on your blind side, These people can be four car handed just be aware. They normally operate around Airports waiting for the jolly tourist albeit my neighbour fell for it in Valencia last year and they have lived here 7 years.

update.... Police 112 also English speaking police in Spain...... 902102112

Last edited by poshnbucks; Apr 27th 2009 at 1:25 am.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 6:27 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Do not stop for an unmarked car, it probably won`t be police, all cars or motorbikes on the motorways are green and white and marked Guardia Civil Trafico.
Drive to the nearest petrol station and pull up in front of the cash desk.
If they are real police they will follow you in, if not they will go.
A light hearted look at what they can fine you for, very similar to the UK, but the fines are on the spot.

Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:02 am
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Nice vid of the Puta`s

Have u seen the one where the Guardia are trying to remove a pig from the motorway, that was funny, can`t seem to find it anymore.

Almost as funny has the UK police in North Wales who recently tried to catch a sheep, unsuccseful, so they Tazzered it.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:11 am
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

I found it

Mistake see below.

Last edited by livit; Apr 27th 2009 at 8:15 am.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:14 am
Banned

Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Mark1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice, so basically its like the UK, dont do anything stupid or different to how you would in the UK and you should be ok, cover up possession, keep doors locked etc

Thanks again
Old Apr 27th 2009, 10:05 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Mark1983
Thanks for the advice, so basically its like the UK, dont do anything stupid or different to how you would in the UK and you should be ok, cover up possession, keep doors locked etc

Thanks again
Not much difference to the UK, just don`t believe Spain is crime free, there are many many people lookin to exploit tourist`s.

Policia in Spain don`t use unmarked cars for traffic duty, they may use an unmarked car to record your speed, but you`ll be pulled over by a uniformed, marked officer and car.

Also be aware they use ANPR systems (Same as UK) to show any violations or non insurance of the vehicle, there catching up to the UK way of policing.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 11:46 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by livit
Not much difference to the UK, just don`t believe Spain is crime free, there are many many people lookin to exploit tourist`s.

Policia in Spain don`t use unmarked cars for traffic duty, they may use an unmarked car to record your speed, but you`ll be pulled over by a uniformed, marked officer and car.

Also be aware they use ANPR systems (Same as UK) to show any violations or non insurance of the vehicle, there catching up to the UK way of policing.

The mossies use plain cars I know because Mrs P got 120 euro fine for left turn over a solid white line. They were in Uniform however when not wearing a hat and having sundim windows the vehicle looks normal until the blue lights strobe through the front grill and the red striped trousers come into view.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
The mossies use plain cars I know because Mrs P got 120 euro fine for left turn over a solid white line. They were in Uniform however when not wearing a hat and having sundim windows the vehicle looks normal until the blue lights strobe through the front grill and the red striped trousers come into view.
Well I have never seen any yet, but .......... HERE at the bottom of the page, 2005. lol
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:00 pm
Banned

My mistake, they must be really unmarked then.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

I haven`t seen any yet, but I have seen unmarked cars used by plain clothes, about ten cars full just off the 340. They all jumped out running round like headless chickens waving guns about at the Higueron garage and shouting "donde es el pintor" lol, ( Econ ?) jumped back in their cars and headed up towards Mijas on the back road.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:30 pm
Banned

Did you notice any pig`s or sheep`s.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by livit
Did you notice any pig`s or sheep`s.
I wonder if it was the one that has spread the swine fever to Spain. ;-))

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.