Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Credit and credit scoring in Spain?

Credit and credit scoring in Spain?

Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Nacnud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit and credit scoring in Spain?

If I want a new mobile phone contract in England I can get one easily as they quickly do a credit check to make sure I am who I am and I live where I say I live.

What happens in Spain? Will we be able to get a mobile account for example when we first move over or will the fact we have no history there be a problem or do they link up with UK agencies?

Thanks
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:04 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit and credit scoring in Spain?

Originally Posted by Nacnud
If I want a new mobile phone contract in England I can get one easily as they quickly do a credit check to make sure I am who I am and I live where I say I live.

What happens in Spain? Will we be able to get a mobile account for example when we first move over or will the fact we have no history there be a problem or do they link up with UK agencies?

Thanks
You will need a Spanish bank account and passport.
You will also need passport for pay as you go phone, which may be better for you.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

Not long ago I bought a Movistar (Telefonica) PAYG sim card pack for 25€. To my recollection it had about 8€ credit on it, Absolutely nothing was needed other than the money. The girl in the shop helpfully fitted it (easy) and set it up (hard) on the spot. PAYG has none of the financial risks of a contract phone obviously.

My tip with mobiles is to buy cheap unlocked basic phones on eBay and use PAYG cards. When it’s nicked or falls into the harbour, who cares? I believe Vodaphone in Spain do twin pack PAYG sims, with cheap calls between the two.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:21 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

You only need a passport or NIE for id if buying a phone, cos the taxman likes to know what you are spending your money on.
Vodafone do a talk 60 pay for 1min to landlines and other Vodafones.
You can buy a phone and sim from about 55 euros inc 24 euros credit

Last edited by jdr; Apr 19th 2007 at 10:24 am.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
You only need a passport or NIE for id if buying a phone, cos the taxman likes to know what you are spending your money on.
Vodafone do a talk 60 pay for 1min to landlines and other Vodafones.
You can buy a phone and sim from about 55 euros inc 24 euros credit
A phone AND sim for effectively 31€? That seems unbelievably cheap. Is that with signing up to a monthly contract?
Old Apr 19th 2007, 11:16 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by toyboy23
A phone AND sim for effectively 31€? That seems unbelievably cheap. Is that with signing up to a monthly contract?
No that is pay as you go for a basic Nokia or similar.

I got a Motorola V3 with 24 euros credit 135 euros, but somehow I got 55 credit.
The phone came in a box, inc sim,charger,PC lead, Motorola software.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 11:54 am
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toyboy23
When I first arrived in Spain I was told I couldn´t have a contract phone (cos of the credit history thingy). They told me I had to wait 6 months and use a PAYG in the meantime. Once I could demonstrate that I had been in Spain for more than 6 months they let me have the contract. I could keep my number and phone when I switched over to contract.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 12:10 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithwalters
When I first arrived in Spain I was told I couldn´t have a contract phone (cos of the credit history thingy). They told me I had to wait 6 months and use a PAYG in the meantime. Once I could demonstrate that I had been in Spain for more than 6 months they let me have the contract. I could keep my number and phone when I switched over to contract.
Wierd, we got ours within a month of moving here with Vodaphone, just needed our NIE and passport. Costs me about 12 euros a month
Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:06 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Wierd, we got ours within a month of moving here with Vodaphone, just needed our NIE and passport. Costs me about 12 euros a month
Not really weird. I guess each of the mobile phone companies have a different method of risk assessment.

When you take out a contract, the mobile phone that you get is quite significantly subsidised, so it isn´t unreasonable for a company to want some kind of proof that you aren´t just in Spain for a fortnight´s holiday before you disappear back to the UK with a cheap mobile phone and and an abandoned contract.

It was about 5 years ago I bought my first mobile, and that was Movistar. Vodafone or Orange would have different criteria for taking out a contract.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Nacnud is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies. I bought a PAYG when visiting recently. I prefer contracts to be honest as it's easier for me having a direct debit set up. I was also thinking about other credit related purchases. I don't want to borrow anything or use credit for anything really, just curious as to how it works when you have no history in Spain.

A contract phone would be the only credit related thing I can think of that I'd like.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:39 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nacnud
Thanks for the replies. I bought a PAYG when visiting recently. I prefer contracts to be honest as it's easier for me having a direct debit set up. I was also thinking about other credit related purchases. I don't want to borrow anything or use credit for anything really, just curious as to how it works when you have no history in Spain.

A contract phone would be the only credit related thing I can think of that I'd like.

Our bank manager was threatening to lend us money as soon as we got here