Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

credit card fraud

credit card fraud

Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

celestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nice
Default credit card fraud

Hi, I previously asked advice on this subject on the forum. Have just had word from the bank that as the funds were taken from a machine using a pin number and they cannot prove that 'we' didn't withdraw the money, they will not pay us the money back. Have they not read the news detailing how many billions of people are subject to this via card cloning!!!! Does anyone know of an appeals procedure and the success rate of this in this country? I have asked the bank Manager but can't see this being very forthcoming given his current track record.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

spanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nicespanishgirl is just really nice
Smile Re: credit card fraud

Hello

We had a very frustrating time last December, when money went from our debit account (Spanish) to pay for a flight to Dublin! We knew nothing about this.

We went to the bank immediately we knew about it, and told them. After a frustrating four weeks, going in every week, I got really angry and said it was theft and if the bank didn't do anything I was going to the police. The bank teller said this was a good idea! (She didn't mention this before)

We went down to the Guardia Civil and made a denuncia. The police office who dealt with us asked us why we hadn't reported it when it happened. We said we'd been to the bank and done all the bank said we should (initially).

We then took a copy of the denuncia back to the bank on the Friday afternoon, and strangely enough the money was paid back into our bank account the following Monday. Coincidence? I don't know, but we did get our money back, which was the main thing.

We have since changed our bank accounts, as we did not like how we were treated.

Hope this information helps, and good luck.

Spanishgirl
Old Jun 1st 2010, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: credit card fraud

Yes the Guardia Civil can be very helpful. My Spanish wife got innocently caught up in an internet scam resulting in regular amounts being taken from her bank account. The bank said it was powerless to stop it but the denuncia at The Guardia sorted out the problem. She actually spoke to a GC solicitor, they work in very different ways to the UK police.

PS They were also very helpful to me recently when I broke down.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

some six years ago I was in the Bank of Andalucia branch in the Commercial Centre,Mojacar,and overheard a very exasperated English woman complaining most bitterly to the blithly unconcerned member of staff. Her visa card had been stolen, she had become aware of this within an hour of it happening,so had gone to the bank to cancel it.
Now she found that not only was the card not cancelled,but the thief was taking out 200 euros on each transaction,in cash. She rightly pointed out to the staff member that if she was to use the card,she would be restricted to 150 euros per transaction. Shrugs. Shoulder rises. No explanation..
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:08 pm
Banned

pchelpinenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spainrico
PS They were also very helpful to me recently when I broke down.
sorry but i cannot resist the temptation. was it the car or you that broke down... heheheh