Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Crash course in Spanish Culture - Lesson II

Crash course in Spanish Culture - Lesson II

Old Mar 31st 2007, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

gudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the rough
Default Crash course in Spanish Culture - Lesson II

This is question 2) of a serious of tests to find out if your genes have any chances of being part of the already complicated Spanish gene pool. It's also a free introduction to the fascinating "Spanish Culture", whatever that means...

Today´s problem is:

2) You are driving down the road. The speed limit is 60 Kmh. Your speed is 96. A policeman stops you and asks: "Lady/Sir. ¿Do you know your speed was 96 Kmh and this is a 60 Kmh limit zone?

Question: The best answer is...

a) - Señor, I am sorry but I'm British and I though these were miles per hour.

b) - Señor, I am sorry but I'm British and at least I'm driving on the right.

c) - Señor, with this car - your V12 Lamborghini - you can´t go slower than that.

d) - I was?

e) - Officer, I apologize. I'm in a hurry, but had I seen you I would have slowed down.

f) - You are a gorgeous woman and you know it, so you smile VEEERY nicely and give him a good view of your attributes.

g) - You are a rich man and the policeman knows it, so you pull out a 20 euro bill and hand it to him.

h) - f and g are both correct depending on your sex.

I'll give you the chance to post your answers before giving the correct one. Let's play...

These are the current scores (in no particular order):

- crispygirl - 1 point + an extra point for being adventurous.
- MnM - 1 point + an extra point for being adventurous.
- jdr - 1 point + an extra point for being a moderator.

You still can enroll in this course.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crash course in Spanish Culture - Lesson II

H....
Old Mar 31st 2007, 10:28 am
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

If I were female I might have gone for F, but I don´t think I would pass the test!

So I´ll go for either A or D. Reason being that in neither case do you actually admit to having knowledge of committing the crime.

(Ignorance is no excuse, but I am good at being ignorant )
Old Mar 31st 2007, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

IntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura about

I'd have said D whilst peeling the jam sandwich off the instrument console
Old Mar 31st 2007, 12:23 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Can I pick "i" none of the above? *lol*

Or at least say: Was I?, I'm very very sorry it will never happen again and smile my sweetest smile?

Can't really pick "f" because I don't feel I'm a gorgeous woman with great attributes (well, except maybe my personality )and can't pick "g" because mainly I'm not a man and even if I were, I don't think you can bribe the police here (very dodge and dangerous) and then of course due to the above "h" is out of the question....

Anyway, back to the question at hand, I think I would pick "d"
Old Mar 31st 2007, 3:36 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

I have big boobs so F with a big smile. It works with the butcher and the fishmonger.......
Old Mar 31st 2007, 4:35 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispygirl
I have big boobs so F with a big smile. It works with the butcher and the fishmonger.......
You women always have a pair of advantages. lol
Old Mar 31st 2007, 4:45 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

I would pay the fine and my wife would be in the car taking yet another photo of me getting a bitch slapping from the law and spend a month bitching about it.

I will dig out the last photo of the gendarmes taking 90 euros from me thing was a french driver was overtaking me and i got the fine.

The french law is an ass. oh and if your going to speed in france do it when its cold and wet they dont come out to play then.

Oh and we have just got back from Aragon in spain spent the day there.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 4:47 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispygirl
Show off No wonder Pepe never made it to my place

Maybe I should go out and buy a wonderbra.......cheaper and less painful than a boob job!?
Old Mar 31st 2007, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

gudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the rough

Well... This is what my text book says:

2) Solution:

In Great Britain none of those answers would be correct, except for d), but you are in Spain and this is a test about Spanish culture.

a) or b) are a good try if the policeman has a sense of humour. But since this is not likely at all you get no points.

c) You lose 1 point for being obnoxious.

d) This is the best answer in a normal country and it´s inevitably followed by a speed ticket. But this is Spain and you could do better than that. You get 2 points added to your score if you´ve chosen d).

f) could work. Spanish policemen are as horny as everybody else and you never know where this could lead to. Don´t abuse this trick, otherwise they´ll be stopping you every time they see you. You get one point for being resourceful.

g) would likely land you in "Comisaría", since this is a personal and serious offense in Spain. You are practically telling the policeman that he doesn't make enough money. He already knows that but he doesn't appreciate you telling him. You lose 2 points with this answer.

Amazingly enough the best answer is... e). The reason is that you are reenforcing what most Spaniards value more: the dignity of their position and their own pride and... in Spain, for good or for bad, these are more important than what the law says. Believe it or not a friend of mine used once this trick... and it worked!!!

If you haven't passed any tests so far don't get discouraged. No need to go back to England. There is always time for that.

Next question coming soon...

These are the scores so far (in no particular order):

- crispygirl - 2 point + 2 extra point for two good reasons and a smile.
- MnM - 3 point + 2 extra point for good logic.
- jdr - 2 points + 1 extra point for being a moderator.
- keithwalters - 2 points + 1 extra point for good logic.
- IntuitiveNipple - 2 points + 1 extra point for having the right attitude.
- Bigbhuda69 - 1 point for assistance and a too obvious nickname.

You still can enroll in this course.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Oop! I forgot ...

Ka Ora! 1 point for convoluted logic.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

mrs teapot will become famous soon enough

"I have big boobs so F with a big smile. It works with the butcher and the fishmonger"

sorry I don't khow to put a quote in properly.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 8:05 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrs teapot
"I have big boobs so F with a big smile. It works with the butcher and the fishmonger"

sorry I don't khow to put a quote in properly.
Just click the bottom right button in the post with a funny arrow on it.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

IntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by gudes
These are the scores so far (in no particular order):

- crispygirl - 2 point + 2 extra point for two good reasons and a smile.

"I have big boobs so F with a big smile."
Well I'd have used that excuse too, of course, but you've all seen my nipples
Old Mar 31st 2007, 8:12 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

d for me too, but only because I wouldn't have known how fast I was driving - blonde you see!!