Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Coviran Supermarket in CE ?

Coviran Supermarket in CE ?

Old May 6th 2021, 11:04 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coviran Supermarket in CE ?

Originally Posted by MikeCol
Photos of the interior of Coviran

Fantastic, this is better than I expected!

Great photos (+great to see that you are still up to date!)

A much needed addition to CE.... Finally!

Good news

Jon
Old May 6th 2021, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

TBH Jon, even though we no longer have a home there, we look at this site (& others) everyday to keep ourselves up to date with new developments. We also will be coming back for visits, from time to time, as it is somewhere we still love & have lots of lovely memories & friends from our time living on Marina Esuri ❤
Old May 6th 2021, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

TO Dellaph Kite. You mentioned Behan's unable to proceed due to problems with the illegal bar below. I guess you mean the bread shop/ minimarket run by the former Holeo 19 couple - forget their name, its been so long. For my curiosity can you enlarge on why an illegal bar below would have any effect on a legal registered bistro upstairs as was planned for Behan's ????? I fail to see what difference it would make ! Thanks... Keith
Old May 6th 2021, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithBT
TO Dellaph Kite. You mentioned Behan's unable to proceed due to problems with the illegal bar below. I guess you mean the bread shop/ minimarket run by the former Holeo 19 couple - forget their name, its been so long. For my curiosity can you enlarge on why an illegal bar below would have any effect on a legal registered bistro upstairs as was planned for Behan's ????? I fail to see what difference it would make ! Thanks... Keith
You will all recall the very ugly large diameter corrugated chimney that was erected at jags bar to comply with food health regulations in the kitchen. That was removed and re-erected at the shop above the ovens it goes straight up through the ceiling of the shop which is of course the floor of Behan’s which means that a rather nice restaurant would have an ugly silver grease stained chimney in the middle.
The next problem arises with disabled access. The ramp provided by the original builder is now cut off by the totally enclosed solid roofed pergola in front of the shop. I think it may also present a problem for regular deliveries to Corvirans. Already the steps which were reinstated by the intercommunity a year or so ago are now smashed again and in my view dangerous. Today the first tree planted as part of the works last year has been hit and damaged. On the whole the frontage looks a mess.
Also immediately at the top of the disabled ramp is the unit for the community pharmacy and the whole frontage is taken up with chairs and tables now the sun is here. This will present a problem for mother’s with prams, the disabled in wheelchairs and those who use crutches to access the chemist!
As we have so often said with Esuri one step forwards and three steps back!
Old May 7th 2021, 5:21 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
You will all recall the very ugly large diameter corrugated chimney that was erected at jags bar to comply with food health regulations in the kitchen. That was removed and re-erected at the shop above the ovens it goes straight up through the ceiling of the shop which is of course the floor of Behan’s which means that a rather nice restaurant would have an ugly silver grease stained chimney in the middle.
The next problem arises with disabled access. The ramp provided by the original builder is now cut off by the totally enclosed solid roofed pergola in front of the shop. I think it may also present a problem for regular deliveries to Corvirans. Already the steps which were reinstated by the intercommunity a year or so ago are now smashed again and in my view dangerous. Today the first tree planted as part of the works last year has been hit and damaged. On the whole the frontage looks a mess.
Also immediately at the top of the disabled ramp is the unit for the community pharmacy and the whole frontage is taken up with chairs and tables now the sun is here. This will present a problem for mother’s with prams, the disabled in wheelchairs and those who use crutches to access the chemist!
You couldn't make this up! After decades of hassles in CE, including closures of busy and active social venues, for illegal opening etc... We have this situation!

A legal venue, held back by an (openly... literally) illegal operation, using public terrace space, and even smashing up the premises above to make a hole for a chimney!! Even potentially hampering the operation of a second legal operation, a much-needed supermarket.

We are regular users of the shop which has been at times a 'welcome social-lifeline' over the years (decades even!). We believe there is room for both. Its 2 different business models.

After all the original concept of CE, that we bought into (literally ...€€) included a plethora of social/business venues, including a full size supermarket, pharmacy, EVEN burger king, bowling alley etc!

There has to be 'another reason, behind the scenes' ... Both Covirans and Behans have (it seems) a cast-iron case.... Especially as we have a clear history of denuncias happening 'succesfully' (for the complainant)!!!

After all wouldn't you take this step if you had invested huge time and expense in a new business?

Weird! The last thing we want is this to drag on and a strong 'anti-shop' feeling to arise, meaning social opportunities get worse!!!! I know that there has already been this trend developing.

Its hard to fathom!

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; May 7th 2021 at 5:28 am.
Old May 7th 2021, 5:28 am
BE enaround

Dellaph Kite is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
A full answer to Keith thank you John, would add only that the chimney going through Behan’s is (naturally) illegal, non-compliant with any fire safety regulations and has to go before any work can begin on Behan’s. Which begs the question why the authorities don't take direct action?? Hoyo 19 was mentioned, somewhere that has the support of what I would guess is the vast majority of the Esuri community yet never gets off the ground because one or two people dununciate it. All very strange....
Old May 7th 2021, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

MKABZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know what the operating days/times of Covirans will be?
Old May 7th 2021, 8:13 am
BE enaround

Dellaph Kite is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MKABZ
Does anyone know what the operating days/times of Covirans will be?
0900 to 2100 Mon to Sat, something like 1000 to 1500 Sun I believe
Old May 7th 2021, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Coviran Supermarket in CE ?

Originally Posted by Dellaph Kite
0900 to 2100 Mon to Sat, something like 1000 to 1500 Sun I believe
Thanks. Good to know for getting some shopping when just arriving from the airport.
Mary.
Old May 7th 2021, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to Esuri John and Dellaph Kite for the explanation. IT COULD ONLY HAPPEN ON CE !!. Were I the owner / leesee of Behan's premises I would be putting a disc cutter through the steel chimney and sealing the floor with an inset steel plate. That Bl**dy couple at the shop would have no recourse because it was illegal and and they have no rights. That said : they obviously have some persuasion somewhere since having not made a success of Hoyo19 they sucessfully denounced the "membership club" that was to open. Surely, if the ramp to access Coviran is on the shop end of the parade, then the shop cannot block it, otherwise wheelchair and disabled buggy users are prevented from accessing the supermarket. For what its worth I reckon if a group of disabled got together outside and called the police the shop would be forced to give way. The police would have no other choice. Sounds like brown envelopes again.
Old May 7th 2021, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Margaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really nice

Originally Posted by MKABZ
Thanks. Good to know for getting some shopping when just arriving from the airport.
Mary.
We went in today, very friendly staff, prices on a par with other supermarkets, so great when Mercadona get really busy in the Summer. We shall support them as much as we can.
Old May 7th 2021, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Cool Re: Coviran Supermarket in CE ?

Originally Posted by Margaret and Derek
We went in today, very friendly staff, prices on a par with other supermarkets, so great when Mercadona get really busy in the Summer. We shall support them as much as we can.
Good to know they are on a par with the other supermarkets. I am more likely to shop there regularly, Mercadona can be quite manic in the summer. The little shop is far too expensive in my opinion.
Mary.
Old May 8th 2021, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

maverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a movie on the new Supermercato:

https://fb.watch/5m9rW2QFUB/
Old May 9th 2021, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

The supermarket is looking good. Unfortunately my (bad) level of Spanish only picked up the occasional word but the visual itself did the job.
Old May 9th 2021, 8:13 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by maverik
Here is a movie on the new Supermercato:

https://fb.watch/5m9rW2QFUB/
Fantastic! We've agreed to even pay a few euros more to have the convenience of shopping on CE, but the prices look great.

I did smile when I saw the photos of an entire aisle selling crisps . I hope they sell Pringles Salt + Vinegar crisps... My favourite . I currently get them in PT at Corvo or the little Spar in M-Gordo opposite the (great) Osaka Japanese resto.

Jon