Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Couple in early 50's thinking of moving to Spain.

Couple in early 50's thinking of moving to Spain.

Old Nov 28th 2017, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

sunseeker123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Couple in early 50's thinking of moving to Spain.

From so many similar threads, it has to be concluded:
1) move to Spain to making a living may not be viable in the current economic climate.
2) retire to Spain to enjoy the life in the sun and lower cost living (my experience in Costa Blanca only 10-15% cheaper than in UK, if incorrect, members correct me) is still a very good choice.
Many forum members have years experience living in Spain. Their views and advice are invaluable to those planning to make the move to Spain.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

earlyoap has a brilliant futureearlyoap has a brilliant futureearlyoap has a brilliant futureearlyoap has a brilliant futureearlyoap has a brilliant futureearlyoap has a brilliant futureearlyoap has a brilliant future

Hi
Lost my job at 50 so me and the wife bought a bar+b/b we do evening meals as well. This is in the UK where we speak the Lingo. We had never worked in the trade before. The Inn we bought is in a tourist area where we use to Holiday.
In the season we never get a day off and I mean never. We start a 6 and finish at midnight off season we catch up on jobs we have put to on side. Also all the things we use to do on Hol we cant. Wont go into detail but people on hols can be very demanding even for the little things.
Unless your fluent DONT even think of a B+B. If you do dont take booking for 2 nights a week so you get a least a day off to rest
Our Inn is in the Highlands off Scotland and it hard work we make no where near what we use to and work so much harder
Please Please Please really think before you go down the B+B route even if its in the UK.
Forgot to add the Stress dont even mention the stress

Last edited by earlyoap; Nov 28th 2017 at 7:39 pm. Reason: forgot to say something
Old Nov 28th 2017, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

ned flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond repute

Sunseeker123, is it my eyes or has your typeface become almost impossible to read? As for the stressed couple - no need to worry about Brexit, it's going to happen but no one knows it's future effect. You won't live to get a pension if you don't change your current jobs. Get the hell out of those jobs and take time to unwind. Sell up and get small place in Cornwall. Stay active and run a Charity shop. Be grateful for NHS. Health insurance could be very expensive in Spain and you don't speak Spanish and you're still in your early 50s. Enjoy life without worrying about money for a couple of years and then think about Spain.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Theres no serious money to be made in Spain by expats in small businesses , many already doing it would love just a basic income or even a small profit, nor is there any real work unless you are fluent Spanish and a professional ie doctor, lawyer, architect , accountant.
In your situation I`d sell up and then buy a couple of rental properties in the UK , rent them out , move to Spain and live in a rental property ,this will leave you secure , with an income and options , buying a house or business in Spain is very risky for a Brit at the moment.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Theres no serious money to be made in Spain by expats in small businesses , many already doing it would love just a basic income or even a small profit, nor is there any real work unless you are fluent Spanish and a professional ie doctor, lawyer, architect , accountant.
In your situation I`d sell up and then buy a couple of rental properties in the UK , rent them out , move to Spain and live in a rental property ,this will leave you secure , with an income and options , buying a house or business in Spain is very risky for a Brit at the moment.
I believe that Rotor has got the best version of the Spanish experience for you to follow. No need to burn your boats, an achievable income in a known market and in a known location within your first language. This is a gift not to be missed. Pass it up at your peril!
Old Nov 29th 2017, 9:15 am
Just Joined

DLandJL is an unknown quantity at this point

Brilliant advice from all, thank you!
Prompted a very long discussion at home last night resulting in us deciding to continue in the UK for maybe another 3 years then review again. We may downsize in the meantime to try to get a bit more cash in the bank, that would also give us a chance of buying a holiday home in Spain which we could let out for holiday rentals when we're not using it.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 9:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLandJL
We have considered buying a guest house or café in the UK but they seem to be far more expensive than some homes / businesses in Spain.
Does it have to be an established guest house? We earn a very good income from renting out 2 spare rooms on Air BnB, plus our whole house when we're away on holiday. We don't even offer breakfast, so it's pretty easy to do.

No idea if that would suit or give you enough income but just thought perhaps a 'normal' house with a few spare rooms in a cheaper area might work if you just want a lifestyle change?
Old Nov 29th 2017, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of holiday lets - the law has changed

https://www.spain-holiday.com/rental...cian-community
Old Dec 5th 2017, 8:14 am
Just Joined

CzP41004 is an unknown quantity at this point

As the other members said, you'd better have either a very, very good CV to offer locally, or property for rent in the UK that could generate enough income for you to live abroad. And it would be preferable to have both, especially with Brexit.

I'm working in Alicante without a boatload of experience, but I'm aware I lucked out, and that you'd better have some resources to work there, especially in the first months, when you'll be paying for a lot of extras: the real estate company's fees, paperwork, shipping your personal belongngs there...