British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Could lockdown be the death of bullfighting (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/could-lockdown-death-bullfighting-932673/)

spainrico May 13th 2020 12:32 pm

Could lockdown be the death of bullfighting

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...droidApp_Gmail

missile May 13th 2020 12:38 pm

Re: Could lockdown be the death of bullfighting

I have never been and have no intention of ever visiting bull fighting, but there are worse things to rile against. It is an integral part of the culture, provides a livelihood for many and is enjoyed by many more.

spainrico May 13th 2020 12:43 pm

Thanks, missile. I think that is a fabulous statement and I wish I had written it myself because it exactly sums up how I feel (and how I have acted - never been and no intention but hey live and let live)

Rosemary May 13th 2020 12:58 pm

I have lived here for 14 years in a totally Spanish area and in all of that time I have only met one Spaniard who likes bull fighting.

Rosemary

missile May 13th 2020 2:16 pm

I am interested to learn and quite like the diversity of people and cultures around the world. I could not do morris dancing, eat jellied eels or whelks, but many do. Live and let live is a great moto to live by :-)

Rosemary May 13th 2020 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by missile (Post 12852388)
I am interested to learn and quite like the diversity of people and cultures around the world. I could not do morris dancing, eat jellied eels or whelks, but many do. Live and let live is a great moto to live by :-)

Totally agree. Each to their own.

Rosemary

Retired in Euskadi May 13th 2020 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 12852308)

I guess the Guardian would say that, wouldn't they. Whenever I see the words could, might, may, possibly in an article, I tend to switch off. Interesting speculation, but that's all. we witnessed one bullfight in our lives, whilst on honeymoon in Cantabria, and that was enough. The atmosphere, the music is great. What upsets me is those picadores on horseback who goad the bull with their spears.
What's exciting to see is what they call in Spanish "recortadores", contestants who jump over, sidestep or do other gymnastic feats to avoid collision with a galloping bull, who lives to contest another day. Now that's much fairer.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...231f39359.jpeg
In the Plaza de Toros de Bilbao 2 years ago

Loafing Along May 13th 2020 3:45 pm

No San Fermines this year - half Pamplona pleased, half complaining ..Just depends what you like

Lmj2018 May 13th 2020 4:41 pm

The lockdown/ impact of Covid19 could be the death of far more things.

Fred James May 13th 2020 4:46 pm

I have studied the subject at some length and and on balance I am in favour. But then I live in Andalucia and if you ask people down here they will be more positive. I have been to the “bull fight” at Málaga Feria some years ago. An experience that you should experience before being too judgemental.

Having also seen a few on tv my main complaint is that so many are, frankly, not very good. The ones that are worth watching, should you wish to, are the ones on horseback. I have never seen such amazing horsemanship and the bull never catches the horse - they are far too valuable!

I know it is a major animal rights issue but there are many other very nasty things that the Spanish do to animals which cannot reasonably be described as cultural or heritage.

So, if this discussion is to continue, please can we have objective, well researched or personally experienced comments about it.

Whether we like it or not, it has existed since the Middle Ages and it’s not about to go away soon although it is undoubtedly less common now.

discoman May 15th 2020 12:08 pm

I have lived in Andalucia for 18 years and saw my first (and last) bullfight in Cortes de la Frontera soon after moving here. It didn't disgust me, but didn't inspire me either. It was, frankly, disappointing and for those who say you haven't experienced one unless you've been to Madrid, Ronda, Sevilla, Malaga etc, then I say I was presumably (I thought) attending the grass roots of the "sport". But it was seedy. It was inept (both bullfighters and bulls), and the arena was only partially filled. It was the equivalent of watching Sunday afternoon park football as opposed to a premiership game; village cricket against a county or a test match. I believe, after talking to many Brits, it is fading and failing as a spectator event and without coronavirus it will gradually expire, at least in these country venues. If the virus accelerates that process then so be it and Spain will be enhanced in the eyes of the world as a result.

Leper May 16th 2020 5:39 am

So Bullfighting could end in Spain! - Every Cloud has a Silver Lining. Thank You Covid-19.

R.Scratcher May 16th 2020 7:10 am

I have never been to and have no intention of visiting a dog meat festival. It is part of the "culture" in some countries and enjoyed by many thousands. I condemn it totally as I do bull fighting or any other ritual torture and slaughter of animals.

missile May 16th 2020 12:54 pm

I have never been to a boxing match either, not my idea of "sport" <LOL>

R.Scratcher May 16th 2020 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by missile (Post 12853888)
I have never been to a boxing match either, not my idea of "sport" <LOL>

Nor have I, and I condemn the spectacle of two humans conflicting physical harm on one another too, but I abhor the humiliation, torture and public execution by a "team" of armed men, some of the heroes on horseback, of any animal.