Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

It Could Be England !

It Could Be England !

Old May 16th 2006, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Mourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really nice
Default It Could Be England !

The news which doesn't usually amount to much did get me thinking today , the Diario de Cadiz reports on roundup of Alabania/Kosovan gang responsible for a large number of robberies, a local school is closed due to fire caused by vandalism , pickpocket gang strike at San fernando market ,there is an increase in the attacks against hospital staff and perhaps the icing on the cake we have our first speed camera !!! between San Fernando and Cadiz on the CA33 nr Torregorda , with 5 more being installed including on the N443 and A48 , perhaps the English Shops are not that bad compared to these imports !

What next a hose pipe ban !!!!

Last edited by Mourinho; May 16th 2006 at 7:02 pm.
Old May 17th 2006, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

CDL Ben will become famous soon enoughCDL Ben will become famous soon enough
Default Re: It Could Be England !

Originally Posted by Mourinho
The news which doesn't usually amount to much did get me thinking today , the Diario de Cadiz reports on roundup of Alabania/Kosovan gang responsible for a large number of robberies, a local school is closed due to fire caused by vandalism , pickpocket gang strike at San fernando market ,there is an increase in the attacks against hospital staff and perhaps the icing on the cake we have our first speed camera !!! between San Fernando and Cadiz on the CA33 nr Torregorda , with 5 more being installed including on the N443 and A48 , perhaps the English Shops are not that bad compared to these imports !

What next a hose pipe ban !!!!
I gotted stopped by the Guardia today and given an on the spot fine of 60€ for eating a sandwich whilst driving. What on earth is all that about !!!!
Stupid thing is I must have passed a dozen motorcycle riders without helmets as well as roadworks without proper signage but my eating was deemed as an inexcusable offence.
Old May 18th 2006, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cdlcaretaking
I gotted stopped by the Guardia today and given an on the spot fine of 60€ for eating a sandwich whilst driving. What on earth is all that about !!!!
Stupid thing is I must have passed a dozen motorcycle riders without helmets as well as roadworks without proper signage but my eating was deemed as an inexcusable offence.
To be fair, that doesn't seem unreasonable. Eating a sandwich or using a mobile, either way, the driver cannot be fully concentrating on driving, nor are two hands instantly available on the driving wheel in the event of an emergency. Should the police have stopped you in the UK for the same offence, you'd have spent hours down at the police station whilst the paper work was being sorted out. Quite an expensive sandwich, though.
Old May 18th 2006, 6:45 am
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

I average over 60000 miles a year and get to see some very strange not the least of which are dangerous styles of driving. IMHO if you are not in control of your vehicle whilst holding/eating a sandwich, then you shouldn't be in the drivers seat. By the same line of thought you should stop the car to switch on/off the radio, heating etc.
I have been overtaken on the M4 by a police car in which the driver was drinking from a paper coffee cup, as sold in the services area. Drinking a hot drink whilst driving would be stupid, of course it could have been a cold drink, but.......
Its just a power trip for these people, However, if you were a refugee I guess you'd be let off
Old May 18th 2006, 11:05 am
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kevray
I average over 60000 miles a year and get to see some very strange not the least of which are dangerous styles of driving. IMHO if you are not in control of your vehicle whilst holding/eating a sandwich, then you shouldn't be in the drivers seat. By the same line of thought you should stop the car to switch on/off the radio, heating etc.
I have been overtaken on the M4 by a police car in which the driver was drinking from a paper coffee cup, as sold in the services area. Drinking a hot drink whilst driving would be stupid, of course it could have been a cold drink, but.......
Its just a power trip for these people, However, if you were a refugee I guess you'd be let off
I agree entirely.
You are behined the wheel of a moving vehicle, that means two hands on the wheel at all times and your full attention.
If you want to eat a sandwich, go to a cafe.
If you want to do your make-up go to a bathroom.

Unbelievable....
Old May 18th 2006, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by BritBull
I agree entirely.
You are behined the wheel of a moving vehicle, that means two hands on the wheel at all times and your full attention.

Unbelievable....
Disagree. It depends on the sandwich and how much mess you're prepared to make

Seriously though, it really does depend on the circumstances. How fast are you going whilst eating? What kind of road and road conditions? What traffic conditions? Any other hazards? Eating a sandwich on a slow drive down a quiet undulating country road is hardly a risk to anyone. Doing the same on a busy motorway in the outside lane, at speed, is altogether different. Same reason I pull into the slow lane and slow right down when I'm smoking a cigarette, in the car, or fidlling with the radio, on a long drive.

Remember that we have to draw the line somewhere reasonable or sneezing at the wheel and blowing your nose will soon be considered reckless behaviour before we know it.

I think the key is to not over-legislate, or over-enforce existing legislation. Pass the responsibility to the individual and treat them like adults and not try and molly-coddle everyone with a nanny state (another thing I intensely dislike about the UK).
Old May 18th 2006, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

CDL Ben will become famous soon enoughCDL Ben will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by un-mundo
To be fair, that doesn't seem unreasonable. Eating a sandwich or using a mobile, either way, the driver cannot be fully concentrating on driving, nor are two hands instantly available on the driving wheel in the event of an emergency. Should the police have stopped you in the UK for the same offence, you'd have spent hours down at the police station whilst the paper work was being sorted out. Quite an expensive sandwich, though.
Eating a sandwich whilst driving is exactly the same as smoking a cigarette (which can be more dangerous, especially when lighting it,) or driving with your arm out the window on a hot day, or changing the radio station, or even pressing the 'answer' button on a hands free cellphone but none of these are deemed to be illegal. One does not have to have 2 hands on the steering wheel at all times to be in control of a vehicle as it depends on the road on which you are driving. A straight road with no necessity for gear changes or change of direction is inherently less dangerous than a twisty, windy road. I was driving on the former at low speed and was in full control of my vehicle and still would have been in the event of any emergency action I may have had to make.
Not entirely sure that my van, with my English language livery, was not part of the reason for being fined. An 'easy cop Brit' with no hassle for me, was probably the thought !!
Old May 18th 2006, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen some bad driving, i.e. the woman driving with a dog on her lap; the woman driving with a baby resting on the steering wheel facing her; a driver of a car with a windscreen which was completely obliterated with cracked glass, not a little bit but the whole windscreen, and that is just a few to mention.
Old May 18th 2006, 4:18 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree entirely.

Unbelievable....
So what happens when you want to change gear then
This is one of my pet hates in the UK. They made using the phone illegal because it distracted you and effected your concentration as well as taking one hand off the wheel.

Firstly, a lot of driving involves taking your hand off the wheel, and you can pick up a sandwich, take a bite, and put it down again in roughly the same time you change gear.

Secondly, how is speaking to someone on a hands free less distracting and easier for your concentration than speaking on your mobile.

Thirdly, how is holding a conversation with your your passenger (especially in the rear seat) less distracting than speaking to someone on your mobile phone.

And how is turning the radio up less distracting, how is smoking a cigarette less distracting (how is lighting a cigarette less distracting!!), blowing your nose ...........

Of course I'm not condoning using a phone, but the law is crazy. If your going to pass a law like that then you ban phone systems completely including hands free, because people are still going to dial numbers when driving. Hell, I even saw someone texting the other day at traffic lights.

And the above examples are just to illustrate how difficult it is to legislate wisely on such a subject so please don't jump down my throat
Old May 18th 2006, 4:47 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Not entirely sure that my van, with my English language livery, was not part of the reason for being fined. An 'easy cop Brit' with no hassle for me, was probably the thought !!
Thats a worry, I intend to purchase a van and have it sign written for my business venture, maybe I need to have it done in Spanish only.

Britbull. I think you missed my point, I was inferring that in order to be able to drive properly, you should be capable of controlling the vehicle with either one hand or both, if you were to loose control whilst eating a sandwich, turning on a radio, etc then you should not be allowed to drive, if your so easily distracted then you are a danger to yourself and others.
During my heady youth I was involved with motor sport, hill climbs and sprints, one of the best drivers I ever raced against was a chap who had lost his left arm, he was a superb driver, I wonder if he ever gets stopped for not having both hands on the wheel
Old May 18th 2006, 6:08 pm
Experience 5* rating

Costa-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant future

I agree entirely.

Unbelievable....
I assume you drive an automatic then?
Old May 18th 2006, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

[snip]
Probably, or he could have been having a bad day and you were the unlucky brunt of his frustration. Around here everyone drives eating, phoning, et al in full view of the local poli.
Old May 18th 2006, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I think they should also ban kids in the car, many a time I've seen a mother driver turn around and yell at the kids and still driving along at normal speed.

We will probably seen voice activated radios/cds eventually in cars so you don't have to fiddle with it, but one of the cars I drive has all the radio controls actually on the steering wheel, and you can use your finger.

I think smoking in cars also lethal, anyone not thrown out a cigarette and its blown back in under your bum?

I got pulled over in spain for using a non handsfree mobile, but the copper ticked me off and then drove off. didn't fine me.

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
So what happens when you want to change gear then
This is one of my pet hates in the UK. They made using the phone illegal because it distracted you and effected your concentration as well as taking one hand off the wheel.

Firstly, a lot of driving involves taking your hand off the wheel, and you can pick up a sandwich, take a bite, and put it down again in roughly the same time you change gear.

Secondly, how is speaking to someone on a hands free less distracting and easier for your concentration than speaking on your mobile.

Thirdly, how is holding a conversation with your your passenger (especially in the rear seat) less distracting than speaking to someone on your mobile phone.

And how is turning the radio up less distracting, how is smoking a cigarette less distracting (how is lighting a cigarette less distracting!!), blowing your nose ...........

Of course I'm not condoning using a phone, but the law is crazy. If your going to pass a law like that then you ban phone systems completely including hands free, because people are still going to dial numbers when driving. Hell, I even saw someone texting the other day at traffic lights.

And the above examples are just to illustrate how difficult it is to legislate wisely on such a subject so please don't jump down my throat
Old May 19th 2006, 11:49 am
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Costa-Convert
I assume you drive an automatic then?
No no, I am a keen driver, no automatic for me.

I agree somewhat with all posts and the underlying factor is the competence of the driver behind the wheel.
I do not agree however that eating, smoking etc is acceptable.
I was behind a young guy last night on the E15 Autopista, we were doing a little over the speed limit when he decides, on a corner, to reach for a large bottle of water and take a swig, removing his eyes from the road and swerving all over the place :scared: stupid.

Changing gear is part of driving and whilst doing so your mind is (hopefully) still 100 percent involved with the driving....eating, drinking or smoking is an entirely different ball game IMO.

I have been witness to far too many stupid driving incidents to think any differently.

But then again judging by the general standard of drivers over here, more competent or skilled drivers could probably eat a 3 course meal, whilst juggling with their feet and still drive to a higher standard than others
Old May 19th 2006, 2:23 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

No no, I am a keen driver, no automatic for me.

I agree somewhat with all posts and the underlying factor is the competence of the driver behind the wheel.
I do not agree however that eating, smoking etc is acceptable.
I was behind a young guy last night on the E15 Autopista, we were doing a little over the speed limit when he decides, on a corner, to reach for a large bottle of water and take a swig, removing his eyes from the road and swerving all over the place :scared: stupid.

Changing gear is part of driving and whilst doing so your mind is (hopefully) still 100 percent involved with the driving....eating, drinking or smoking is an entirely different ball game IMO.

I have been witness to far too many stupid driving incidents to think any differently.

But then again judging by the general standard of drivers over here, more competent or skilled drivers could probably eat a 3 course meal, whilst juggling with their feet and still drive to a higher standard than others
But do you refuse to speak to passengers when you are driving? Thats the point I'm making, its probably even more distracting than a phone call talking to people actually in the car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.