Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Costa Tropical places to visit

Costa Tropical places to visit

Old Sep 14th 2014, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

cliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond repute
Default Costa Tropical places to visit

Spain in 4 weeks, got a car so we are making a list of places to visit whilst there with a view to rent then maybe buy? Costa Tropic only please! And a few nice days out of course.
Looks like retirement has moved forward by a few years, Am finishing work next year, hoping to go out next winter for a few months.
So far Iv'e got travelling from Nerja: La Herradura. Almuncar. Salobrena. Motril. Lobres.
I know there are other small towns inland a bit are they worth a visit?
Do ex pats live in these inland places? Itrabo for example. Don't want to be too isolated. I know they are only half hour from the cost so that is not a problem we both drive.

Would it be a good idea to go further east than Motril, to Almeria and the places on the way? I know that's about 100 miles but we don't mind if its an option to consider.

Any suggestions both positive and negative would be gratefully received
Old Sep 14th 2014, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costa Tropical places to visit

Along to Orgivia, lots of good eating places then up to Cañar Awesome place. Café Bar Piqi is a great bar with great owners ( lord I miss them all ) their tapas are superb. There is also Angelas bar with great roof terrace !
Old Sep 14th 2014, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

cliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply I think maybe I was misunderstood?

I meant places as in towns not bars, cafe's etc.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Orgivia a great mix of things and worth a look in my opinion, I only mentioned the eating places because of the distance involved. Cañar is a tiny little village but again in my opinion well worth the effort to get there and walk round. I love stopping and having a coffee and or tapas, taking in the atmosphere and views but maybe others don't. My apologies for trying to answer and getting it wrong.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

You didn't get anything wrong! You were trying to help and I appreciate it very much.
Orgivia and Cañar two more places on the list, thank you.

Is there British people living in those places do you know?
Old Sep 14th 2014, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Orgivia yes there are lots of different nationalities around and about. Lots of alternative therapies and organic foods. Various types of music events and used to be a good drama group. I am sure there is a cheese making event soon. There are a lot of talented artists, sculptors in the area. One artist lives in Cañar. Cañar is a small Spanish white village on the GR7 walk, a little English is spoken there but few expats. My Spanish gets me what I need and cannot wait to get back to my peaceful healing haven.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Las Alpujarras can do a circular route taking in Trevélez. lovely trip,
Old Sep 15th 2014, 10:28 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Yegen, central Alpujarras. Traditional Spanish white village, some British, Dutch and Scandinavian expats. Eduardo's bar La Fuente for Spanish, Loranne's Bar El Tinao for Brits and Spanish. Just along the 'main' road, John and Mary's Hostal La Ladera, brilliant food and swimming pool, all nationalities. Further along, Valor, another white village but has a bank with a cashpoint and plenty of places to eat. Nearest coast, La Rabita or Adra on Costa Tropical, about 50 minutes to an hour travel (largely mountain roads).

I lived in Yegen for eight years. Recommended

Last edited by scampicat; Sep 15th 2014 at 10:41 am.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

The places that have been mentioned I would have not thought to visit. I would imagine they are nice places in the warmer months.
Do they have a problem with cold weather in winter as they are so close to the mountains?
As you move away from the coast does it get hotter in summer and cooler in winter. I see these places are not far from the coast so I wondered if they was any difference temperature wise.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Currently in Cañar

El Tiempo en Canar. Predicción a 14 días

I rented a ground floor apartment in Cañar over the Christmas period 2 years ago outside temp was jeans jumper socks and trainers/boots. There was snow higher up the day before we arrived but when went out the next day round the upper roads only sign of it was at the road side and not much of it. They have their own little micro climate up their. I have to stop talking about it because I long to go back :-(

Last edited by bxpuser24710519; Sep 15th 2014 at 3:29 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Orgiva is full of f***ing hippies and Daily Mail readers. Best avoided IMO.

Granada is a gem and worth at least Four days.

Antequera, Ronda, etc, but best to just explore and discover the countless charming pueblos in the area. Find your own and make it your own secret. It is all very beautiful (apart from the hippies and Daily Mail readers).
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Maybe I am a f***ing hippy?

Just looked and they are not Costa Tropica are they?

Yeh organic food n alternative medicine not really us. Whats on offer at supermarket and a paracetamol does me ok!

Last edited by cliff b; Sep 15th 2014 at 3:31 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

It is only the credit card toting hippies that wind me up. All goodness of nature and ying yang twatishness so long as you pay for their health insurance and very nice lifestyle. The genuine crazy people are OK in small doses.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, no - not exactly Costa Tropical de Granada - Welcome to the Spanish Riviera!

But, not too far away. Property prices for 'unpretentious' holiday/retirement places on new complexes are excellent now. The link above is obviously a website for an agent. Good info' mind if you read between the lines.

A drive from Motril to Granada is well worth the petrol.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the useful info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.