Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Costa Esuri Internet (PRIINET) options

Costa Esuri Internet (PRIINET) options

Old May 14th 2022, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice
Default Re: Costa Esuri Internet (PRIINET) options

Jon
​​On 1. I missed the price increase which is large but yes i agree it could still be a good option for some. On this forum I guess many want to access UK TV. If they want to watch via a UNsmart TV Meo and the other options I tested may not be the best option as DNS proxies won't work with their services and VPNs do but cant be added to most UNsmart TVs. Work rounds are available for some and a VPN can be added to most routers but it requires a bit to technical knowledge to do so.

2. Its probably easy. Its a post pay service easy to sign up to and can be cancelled at anytime. The issue would be how many times would they allow you to contract cancel and then recontract. I know it hasn't been a problem for the one person I advised to do this.... I think to date they have done it four times without a problem.

3. Off the top of my head all three are actually the same. They are just marketing terms. In short they all refer to boosting a 4G signal by using carrier aggregation or similar techniques. All work and work really well if the devices support it and quite frankly my guess, on CE, is it will probably beat 5G when it becomes available on CE and will do so for years to come.

4. Nearly if not all 4g routers have the ability to turn off data roaming. All the Tp one's I have ever worked with do. No different really from how you would do it on your phone. Go to settings and turn it off.

As for Meo of course they can turn off the ability for the card itself not to roam. I can guess why you were told they could but advised you not to....... lol probably more to do with money than worrying that if they did this and you then moved the router outside thier signal area you would be very upset when it stopped working.

5. Not sure if Meo actually do deactivate the card after 3 monthes and won't reactivate it later. I have recently just reactivated two PAYG cards on other networks that had not been used for over 1 year just buy adding some credit. Regardless if they do it makes little difference as, like you say, you can just buy a new SIM. As for the 5G comments all current sims are "5G ready", and as above don't hold your breath for 5G to be available and faster than 4g+ on CE anytime soon. It also won't be as reliable as 4g+ for even longer if ever due to the basic science whatever the marketing hype states.

Best
Loco

​​​​​
Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Really interesting thanks!
A few points/questions:
1: MEO have upped the price ... https://www.meo.pt/servicos/movel/ne...uter/pre-pagos
I still feel its a good option vs priinet for non resident visitors, switching on and off.... And not wanting to pay full price when away. Especially at these speeds.

2: The digi offer, how easy is it to switch on/off please?

3: Is 4.5G the same as 4G+ please? I think the best is '4G LTE Advanced'.

4: In an earlier post, number 70, I mentioned that TPlink support say they have no way to select a network forcing the router to stick to (eg) MEO. Something very easy to do on a phone. Living on the border means it can easily roam between countries (=Expensive!) MEO support are surprised about this and are able to disable roaming, via a phone call to them (e.g when you activate the SIM). However for reasons beyond my brain, they dont recommend this.

5: The MEO SIM dies if you are away for more than 3 months after it times out. But the SIM is free, so just go to the shop and get a new one and activate it then. Its 5g ready too, so once 5G comes in (and 5g routers drop in price) you will have far better speeds.....

Jon

​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old May 14th 2022, 8:00 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loco
Jon
​​On 1. I missed the price increase which is large but yes i agree it could still be a good option for some. On this forum I guess many want to access UK TV. If they want to watch via a UNsmart TV Meo and the other options I tested may not be the best option as DNS proxies won't work with their services and VPNs do but cant be added to most UNsmart TVs. Work rounds are available for some and a VPN can be added to most routers but it requires a bit to technical knowledge to do so.

2. Its probably easy. Its a post pay service easy to sign up to and can be cancelled at anytime. The issue would be how many times would they allow you to contract cancel and then recontract. I know it hasn't been a problem for the one person I advised to do this.... I think to date they have done it four times without a problem.

3. Off the top of my head all three are actually the same. They are just marketing terms. In short they all refer to boosting a 4G signal by using carrier aggregation or similar techniques. All work and work really well if the devices support it and quite frankly my guess, on CE, is it will probably beat 5G when it becomes available on CE and will do so for years to come.

4. Nearly if not all 4g routers have the ability to turn off data roaming. All the Tp one's I have ever worked with do. No different really from how you would do it on your phone. Go to settings and turn it off.

As for Meo of course they can turn off the ability for the card itself not to roam. I can guess why you were told they could but advised you not to....... lol probably more to do with money than worrying that if they did this and you then moved the router outside thier signal area you would be very upset when it stopped working.

5. Not sure if Meo actually do deactivate the card after 3 monthes and won't reactivate it later. I have recently just reactivated two PAYG cards on other networks that had not been used for over 1 year just buy adding some credit. Regardless if they do it makes little difference as, like you say, you can just buy a new SIM. As for the 5G comments all current sims are "5G ready", and as above don't hold your breath for 5G to be available and faster than 4g+ on CE anytime soon. It also won't be as reliable as 4g+ for even longer if ever due to the basic science whatever the marketing hype states.

Best
Loco

​​​​​
Wow thanks Loco for the detailed reply...

I'll stick with MEO see if it works well for the included 30 days and then look at the Digi offer which is cheaper.

Its annoying that tech support arent techy enough!! But I would be happy to use your consultancy expertise if there is a problem

Jon

Old May 14th 2022, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

pt1188 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

Been following this thread with interest as like you, Jon, I am currently with Priinet on the active / passive plan. I have also received their email about ceasing this service when I asked them to activate my internet for this month, so am actively looking for alternatives to paying for fibre broadband when we're there for no more than 12 weeks each year, often less.

Jon, I would be interested in seeing how you get on with your MEO unlimited data plan as that seemed ideal, although they have obviously seen the demand and have increased their charges. I was about to go with this option when I decided to take a look at what my current network provider Three is offering by way of unlimited data upgrades. Luckily enough for me they do offer a 1 month unlimmited data upgrade which can be used in their roaming countries including Spain for £15, so that's what I will be using as a hotspot from my phone. So for those whose providers do a similar unlimited data deal this may be a hassle free alternative. Let's see how good it works for me, I will report back when I'm there.

In the meantime thanks for all your contributions which has been really helpful.

Peter
Old May 15th 2022, 8:26 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pt1188
Hi everyone

Been following this thread with interest as like you, Jon, I am currently with Priinet on the active / passive plan. I have also received their email about ceasing this service when I asked them to activate my internet for this month, so am actively looking for alternatives to paying for fibre broadband when we're there for no more than 12 weeks each year, often less.

Jon, I would be interested in seeing how you get on with your MEO unlimited data plan as that seemed ideal, although they have obviously seen the demand and have increased their charges. I was about to go with this option when I decided to take a look at what my current network provider Three is offering by way of unlimited data upgrades. Luckily enough for me they do offer a 1 month unlimmited data upgrade which can be used in their roaming countries including Spain for £15, so that's what I will be using as a hotspot from my phone. So for those whose providers do a similar unlimited data deal this may be a hassle free alternative. Let's see how good it works for me, I will report back when I'm there.

In the meantime thanks for all your contributions which has been really helpful.

Peter
Thanks Peter for your feedback.
You have a great deal with 3 at that price. .

As you know I'm looking for a SIM to put in a router, and hopefully beam the signal around our apartment. Whilst the phone can create a hotspot, its just more convenient for us to use a router. (Which we already have, though I'll buy another if its too 'weak').

I'll update on here when I've set up MEO.... But if it works I will still keep an eye out for other PAYG options locally or abroad (thanks I hadn't thought about that!). Digi looks cheaper for example. Ive prepaid 30 days, which I will activate on arrival. As the SIM is free, I have no obligation to stick with MEO. Though for both of us it still comes out at a better deal than Priinet + fibre = 12 months full payment per year.

Thanks again...
Jon
Old Jun 8th 2022, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Thanks Peter for your feedback.
You have a great deal with 3 at that price. .

As you know I'm looking for a SIM to put in a router, and hopefully beam the signal around our apartment. Whilst the phone can create a hotspot, its just more convenient for us to use a router. (Which we already have, though I'll buy another if its too 'weak').

I'll update on here when I've set up MEO.... But if it works I will still keep an eye out for other PAYG options locally or abroad (thanks I hadn't thought about that!). Digi looks cheaper for example. Ive prepaid 30 days, which I will activate on arrival. As the SIM is free, I have no obligation to stick with MEO. Though for both of us it still comes out at a better deal than Priinet + fibre = 12 months full payment per year.

Thanks again...
Jon
Jon
Sadly my big idea fell flat after I received a text message from Three telling me that I have exceeded my fair usage while roaming - it's capped at 12Gb apparently which, I didn't know at the time . Luckily i still had my Priinet broadband from the previous month and I needed to only buy 2 days of Three's data passport which has no roaming limit. This cost £5 a day. I am now hotspotting using my phone and am able to stream TV quite easily on the Movistar network. Meo doesn't work well for me - much slower speeds leading to constant buffering.
Did you finally get online with Meo? If so how is it going?
Looking ahead I found this global data sim website
https://wrapteldatasim.com/index.php?route=common/home
which offers unlimited data only sims. Costs from 10USD for 5 days to 34USD fro 30 days. I am planning to get one for my next trip and discontinue Priinet, as like the OP we are only here for a maximum of 12 weeks a year. Digi is another possibility as they use Movistar network but you have to verify ID and I'm not keen on uploading my passport data. Good luck with your online journey.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Jon
Sadly my big idea fell flat after I received a text message from Three telling me that I have exceeded my fair usage while roaming - it's capped at 12Gb apparently which, I didn't know at the time . Luckily i still had my Priinet broadband from the previous month and I needed to only buy 2 days of Three's data passport which has no roaming limit. This cost £5 a day. I am now hotspotting using my phone and am able to stream TV quite easily on the Movistar network. Meo doesn't work well for me - much slower speeds leading to constant buffering.
Did you finally get online with Meo? If so how is it going?
Looking ahead I found this global data sim website
https://wrapteldatasim.com/index.php?route=common/home
which offers unlimited data only sims. Costs from 10USD for 5 days to 34USD fro 30 days. I am planning to get one for my next trip and discontinue Priinet, as like the OP we are only here for a maximum of 12 weeks a year. Digi is another possibility as they use Movistar network but you have to verify ID and I'm not keen on uploading my passport data. Good luck with your online journey.
Update to my post on Wraptel data sim - devil is in the detail as they too have a fair usage policy so that after 500mb data for the day at 4g speeds they throttle you down to 384 kbps, not exactly streaming speed! Back to the drawing board!
Old Jun 8th 2022, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

maverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond repute

I can only say to my Meo router and sim , the performance depends a lot on where you put it. I have mine outside on the Terrace where it works . Inside the apartment , it appears to be not so good.But the Wlan Signal is strong enough to work with it. We live in ME , manzana 6 , Downstairs.
Old Jun 8th 2022, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by maverik
I can only say to my Meo router and sim , the performance depends a lot on where you put it. I have mine outside on the Terrace where it works . Inside the apartment , it appears to be not so good.But the Wlan Signal is strong enough to work with it. We live in ME , manzana 6 , Downstairs.
Thanks for that update. I guess that may be the most viable option. I'm on Lomas which is higher up and should have a better signal. I'll try positioning the router or phone in different rooms.
Old Jun 9th 2022, 8:49 am
BE Positive

Thanks for that update. I guess that may be the most viable option. I'm on Lomas which is higher up and should have a better signal. I'll try positioning the router or phone in different rooms.
I think that you can get an 'extension aerial' that you plug in to the router to boost the signal. I had one previously but trashed it unfortunately.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=router+..._ts-doa-p_2_13

I'm not in CE yet so haven't had a chance to try MEO out, but am encouraged that Maverik has it working well. We live in the same area and I am higher up, so the 'tea leaves' are looking good. Also I got a strong MEO signal on my phone. Mav tells me that the MEO recharge can be done online as well via Xoom (a paypal based company).

Sorry to hear that 'fair usage' has stopped your 2 ideas for roaming I suspect all companies will have similar rules, shame as France has some stonking deals!

My outstanding concern is that the router may roam.. after all I'll be using it in Spain with a PT MEO Sim. Luckily Mav has had no problems with this.

Im watching Amazon Prime videos at the moment with the HDMI cable plugged into my laptop. With a wireless mouse I can be a real couch potato! However I noticed that I can choose the quality Good ( 0.38GB an hour), Better (1.4 GB an hour) and Best (6.84GB an hour) that's a huge difference. But the Good setting is... Well... Good I have another TV 4K UHD which I would use the other settings... But if data is limited, its still worth lowering the resolution especially for a secondary residence. Maybe Netflix offers something similar.

However for me unlimited data is the key requirement, as mentioned earlier. MEO has this of course.

I'll update this thread when I set up MEO. Please keep us updated too.

Jon

Old Jun 20th 2022, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

Just don't use Orange or any provider using Orange if you are on Lomas.

Best
Loco

Last edited by Loco; Jun 20th 2022 at 11:45 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2022, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Cptnemo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
A quick thanks to all on this thread, having returned the priinet equipment - happy to say that the MEO sim card with my wireless router works a treat. They no longer has the 15day card - have 30 day for €30 or an 8 day card.
Thanks again !!
Old Sep 13th 2022, 8:36 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Cptnemo
Hi
A quick thanks to all on this thread, having returned the priinet equipment - happy to say that the MEO sim card with my wireless router works a treat. They no longer has the 15day card - have 30 day for €30 or an 8 day card.
Thanks again !!
Great that it works....

Will you reload at the MEO shop, an ATM machine (which I think works - not 100% sure) or via a Banx account (part of PayPal), please? The nearest Multibanco ATM is in Castro Marim, which also gives me no charge withdraws.

I am having annoying and persistent problems with Priinet, to receive the refundable deposit we all paid for the equipment on installation. They promised to return it to me via the technician who came to take the equipment: he had no idea about it!! They then told me I had missed a payment which I proved I had not..... And now just ignore emails. Awful.

I was the first, or one of the first, to introduce Priinet on the forum, I spoke with their English speaking representative who joined the forum. He agreed not to break any site rules re selling and for a while answered technical/installation questions etc.

They thanked me for the introduction including the boss himself. Now for €20 they ignore me! Its why I had extra incentive to seek an alternative, when they told me that they were shutting off the old system (within "a few weeks")

Thanks initially to Maverik and a bunch of discussions here, we have a potential alternative for non full- time residents backed by a bigger organisation.. with a potential 5G upgrade coming down the line (needing a new router) also other non-MEO options have arisen too

Priinet have asked me a few times to take their fibre. I really hope MEO works 'a treat' for us as well.. As I want to avoid more interaction with Priinet - unless its a last resort....

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Sep 13th 2022 at 8:40 am.
Old Sep 13th 2022, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

To Captnemo, When you returned your router to Priinet....... did they give you the deposit back? I'm sure we paid a deposit but that was 8 years ago and I can't find any paperwork for it. Cheers Keith
Old Sep 14th 2022, 5:47 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by keithBT
To Captnemo, When you returned your router to Priinet....... did they give you the deposit back? I'm sure we paid a deposit but that was 8 years ago and I can't find any paperwork for it. Cheers Keith
Here is the text cut from the contract itself, below. I cant believe they changed it for everybody else as its 'up-front money' for them.... Translation below.....

I actually totally accept this condition as after all its a lot of kit, so happily paid the deposit (as part of the overall initial payment). They also promised to repay it when I initially requested it as part of my contract termination communication.... where I included the text below.

They appear to be playing 2 games "dont ask dont get" ... And "ignore them till they go away" !! But I'm peeved, even though its only €20

Jon

CONDICIONES DE LA DEVOLUCIÓN DEL IMPORTE POR DEPOSITO Y DEL COMPROMISO DE PERMANENCIA Le serán devueltos al cliente la cantidad de 20€, una vez haya notificado su baja, no esté pendiente el cobro de ninguna mensualidad y nuestros técnicos hayan recogido los equipos domicilio del cliente

DeepL translation.

CONDITIONS FOR THE REFUND OF THE DEPOSIT AND THE COMMITMENT OF PERMANENCE

The amount of 20€ will be refunded to the customer, once he has notified his cancellation, no monthly payment is pending and our technicians have picked up the equipment at the customer's address.

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Sep 14th 2022 at 6:04 am.
Old Sep 15th 2022, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Cptnemo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by keithBT
Hi like you it was many years ago - cant remember paying a deposit - certainly didn't get any money back 🤔 - will have to trawl though my paperwork- thanks for the heads up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.