British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Costa Esuri Internet (PRIINET) options (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/costa-esuri-internet-priinet-options-942568/)

keithBT Jan 29th 2022 2:21 pm

Costa Esuri Internet (PRIINET) options

Hi, I had my Priinet wifi disconnected over a year ago due to loss of travel access to Spain because of Covid. I am returning in a month and I have been requested to return my Router from 2014. Not a problem, but I will require some sort of internet re- connection. This is a holiday home used for perhaps 12 weeks a year total. From 2014, I had the 15 euros a month connection connected 365. I know others who had the standby option paying as little as 7 euro a month on standby. I only want to be able to do emails, surf the net and a bit of TV streaming sometimes, usually Youtube so the narrow band 4 Mb would suffice. QUESTION. Does anyone know if Priinet is still supporting or connecting to the wifi system on Esuri or is it purely fibre now ? I checked their website and can see NOTHING about wifi now - ONLY fibre with mobile add-ons etc aimed at full time residents being much more costly. This is fine if you live there but not for occasional holiday use. I realise that I can go to the shop in town now when I get over there, but I was simply looking at the options in advance. I recall WIHU also did a wifi system but I don't think they are on Esuri. Any advice welcome........ Cheers Keith

missile Jan 29th 2022 3:25 pm

Re: Costa Esuri Internet (PRIINET) options

If you are only there 12 weeks/year, you might want to consider a mobile broadband dongle. I have used that option when on holidays.

guesswork Jan 30th 2022 9:57 am

I know people who use a Portuguese Dongle as I used to. I am in Las Encinas and got a better signal than with a Spanish one

Thomas Bern Feb 1st 2022 12:17 pm

Hi Keith,
We use, and share, our European telephone subscription data package. (It's easy and feasible on most smartphones) We raised it to 30Gb / month, which cost an extra € 7 a month. That is enough for us; we have two phones, two computers and a tablet. We surf the internet a lot, handle emails, watch youtube, listen to Spotify, and watch 5-6 movies a month. (We can see enough programs on TV anyway) and 30Gb is enough for that.
It is thus cheaper for us than buying a prepaid data card, which is also an option..

Loco Feb 4th 2022 11:28 pm

Based on what you say it's quite possible you actually need nothing if your UK mobile package includes enough data and the roaming data limit is enough.

If it's not and your phone is dual SIM the cheapest and simplest option would be to add a Spainish prepaid SIM card and just top it up with a Data or Combo Bono when you run out of free roaming data on your UK mobile package.

Best
Loco

Jon-Bxl Feb 5th 2022 12:50 am

Hi Keith
if upgrading your UK mobile contract can fix it for your requirements that would be great, or using the dual SIM idea. If not, there is an office directly opposite the priinet office across the road and about 10m to the right which is a sort of 'consolidator' for internet/phone packages. They appear to have a selection of suppliers to check out.

In the 'old days' I used a dongle from TMN plugged into a portable router to give 'mifi'. It used the 4g mobile network for the internet, and we had it throughout the flat. As we are in Portugal a lot, I would recharge the SIM at a Payshop. Thats a few years ago now and Im sure the technology has improved somehow. This may be a good option, even if you got a new SIM in it -as I did- for the flexibility.

I dont know if I kept the dongle though. But if I did I can give you it. I also had an extension aerial I plugged into it but I know I gave that away. I put it on top of the bin, and within 30mins someone took it!

TMN have (had?) an office in VRSA. Walk to the end of the pedestrian area with the river behind you. Past the church on the square. When you hit the road turn left it is/was there after a few metres.

Priinet still offer the old service, but obviously that has a limited life, I doubt that they would give you the 'shut off contract' paying €7/mo when away.. but worth a try maybe? That shut off is definitely not available on their fibre.

Good luck!

Jon

maverik Feb 5th 2022 4:17 pm

We are in Marina Esuri and we use aDongle provided by MEO Portugal with the " Enjoy " price plan . It costs 15 Euro for 15 days with unlimited usage. It works fine for us. We areable to watch Netflix and Tv throught the Internet.

keithBT Feb 6th 2022 7:23 pm

Thanks to all for advice, especially Jon-bxi who as always is a mind of useful info. Can't wait to get back out. Two weeks and counting !! Oh , plus no more pcr/ antigen test to enter PT. Yippee .

Jon-Bxl Feb 6th 2022 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by maverik (Post 13092766)
We are in Marina Esuri and we use aDongle provided by MEO Portugal with the " Enjoy " price plan . It costs 15 Euro for 15 days with unlimited usage. It works fine for us. We areable to watch Netflix and Tv throught the Internet.

Hi Mav
That sounds very interesting. A few questions please:-
  • Do you have to buy 15 day blocks, separately or can you buy say a 30 day block for €30, please?
  • Did you have to give a Portuguese address please?
  • Also, can you auto recharge online from home or do you have to go in person to the MEO shop, please.

This may be a better € option than priinet as you dont pay anything for time away (either 7 or 25€)... And we often come mid month meaning we pay for 2 months 'losing' the first few days.

This would be an excellent option for us if Priinet switch off the broadcast internet forcing us to fibre (with zero non usage benefit).

We don't need fibre bandwidth as long as we can stream 2 HD video streams which priinet handles well at about 12-20 MBS. The need for video streaming means that unlimited is our only option (and the most expensive normally)

Finally do you have an idea of the speed please MBS ? The best speed tester for streaming is https://testmy.net/

Thanks again
Jon

Jon-Bxl Feb 7th 2022 5:09 am

I did a bit of 'webbing'. :) . The deal with MEO is looking very good, for non- permanent residents unlimited use, pay as you go. This (for me) is a great non-expensive (perhaps cheaper) alternative to Priinet, if they switch off their broadcast offer. Ill stick with them till/if that happens as its been working well for the past few years

As long as the bandwidth is good 24h. I think this may also include 5g evolution too (not 100% sure)

https://loja.meo.pt/Equipamentos/Car...to%20pagamento
Thanks again for the idea Maverick :goodpost:

Now where did I put that router! :)

Jon
PS it looks like the TMN shop I mentioned in a previous post is now rebranded as a MEO shop too, in VRSA

https://foursquare.com/v/loja-meo/4f886b0c7bebf2f0502ab504

SanNico Feb 7th 2022 7:51 am

Take a look at Digi mobile. You can either stick the card in a dongle, 4g router or just hot spot from the phone. There's no contract so you can switch on and off as you please. DIGI, the advantages of going for free | Mobile (digimobil.es)

Jon-Bxl Feb 7th 2022 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by SanNico (Post 13093043)
Take a look at Digi mobile. You can either stick the card in a dongle, 4g router or just hot spot from the phone. There's no contract so you can switch on and off as you please. DIGI, the advantages of going for free | Mobile (digimobil.es)

Thanks SanNico ... Another option... Is it unlimited and is the price competitive with MEO please? €15 for 2 weeks

I cant open the links for some reason...

Jon

maverik Feb 7th 2022 6:54 pm

Hi Jon
Here a quick reply:
- Minimum is 15 days, 30 Days costs 30 euro. The card stays valid for at leat 3 Months after the last use ( personal expience).
-a portuguese adress is not required.
- You can recharge online throught xoom.com , which is a part of paypal.
- I am not sure every MEO store has the dongle, we get ours at the MEO Forum store in Faro , 3 years ago

P.S. Are you in CE, we are coming on the 18 th. Would be great to see ya.

bob_bob Feb 8th 2022 12:57 am

If you have a good 4G or 5G signal I'd be tempted go with an unlimited data sim card and use your phone as a hotspot for your TV to connect from wifi, it could be a good option for you for 12 weeks a year.

Jon-Bxl Feb 8th 2022 10:20 am

Originally Posted by maverik (Post 13093181)
Hi Jon
Here a quick reply:
- Minimum is 15 days, 30 Days costs 30 euro. The card stays valid for at leat 3 Months after the last use ( personal expience).
-a portuguese adress is not required.
- You can recharge online throught xoom.com , which is a part of paypal.
- I am not sure every MEO store has the dongle, we get ours at the MEO Forum store in Faro , 3 years ago

P.S. Are you in CE, we are coming on the 18 th. Would be great to see ya.

Thanks Mav for this information. :goodpost:It looks like a great deal and definitely worth going for now and especially if 5g comes in. Its good to know that I can easily change if priinet decide to get rid of broadcast internet for fibre, meaning I lose my 7€ a month for non-usage

I found my router! Its so convenient - a Zoom series 1100. Just plug the dongle in freeing up the phone, and it also gave a reasonable signal upstairs and downstairs.... Of course for 5g Id need to replace it.

I'll send a PM with travel details...

ThanksJon