Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Costa Esuri - Ayamonte Part 6

Costa Esuri - Ayamonte Part 6

Old Jun 28th 2009, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costa Esuri - Ayamonte Part 6

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Just as a point of information - I believe that it is a legal requirement to carry your passport when driving in Spain (or ID Card if you are lucky enough to have one). Under Schengen EU citizens (except Brits) are allowed to cross borders inside the Schengen area - Brits must have a passport It's just very very rare to get asked for one, but if you are you and don't have it with you could be in jail! (Try crossing the border to Gib when there is a Spanish crackdown)
Try crossing the border to Gib when there is 'NOT' a Spanish crackdown and you will be in trouble with the British customs if you don't have a passport, same as the UK will not let you in without a copy of your passport even if you are British (how would they know anyway?)... unless you are on a bus load of polish immigrants of course! then you don't need to show anything... crazy isn't it.

I go over to Portugal every so often with my Spanish wife, she just takes her Spanish ID card and I take my residents card (I still have a card), but I also take a copy of my British passport just in case we are stopped.

I do remember years ago on several occasions just using my Spanish ID card to get into Spain but then that was issued by the Spanish while I had to show my passport for any other customs, I think I just used the card to proove that I could actually use it on the Spanish side.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 9:24 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John and Lynn
Hi, I have a question, as am just sitting at home in hot and humid blighty. The other half has decided it is too hot and put the fan on in the lounge, this got me thinking as we have a constant battle when over in our apartment with the air con. He puts it on at night, cos it is too hot for him, and I get too cold and turn it off, he then puts it back on, and so we carry on. Oh it's great fun! In our apartment the vents for the air con cannot be opened/closed so we are restricted to the cold air emitting from the vents in every room. Does anyone know if it is possible to change them to ones that can be opened/closed. This would be ideal then we could have separate bedrooms, I can have my vent closed, he can have his open and freeze!!! Likewise in the winter if you just want to warm one room that you are in rather than the whole apartment!
Back to the battle of the Fan and some more wine!

Lynn
How funny/strange I was just looking for the same thing on the internet.

I googled 'closable air vents' and came up with a lot of sites... I just need to measure the grille to be sure that I get the right size, and these are light enough to pack and take there... to be sure you have them. Im sure these can be found in Spain, but its easier this way.

http://www.screwfix.com/cats/100139/...ooling/Ducting here is one that looks good.

or

http://www.sdslondon.co.uk/slotted-h...-hit-miss.html hit and miss vents

No commercial connectoins here.

In our case we want to close off a room that isnt being used, and its a shame to cool/heat it.

Regards
Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jun 29th 2009 at 9:29 am.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

LynnF has a brilliant futureLynnF has a brilliant futureLynnF has a brilliant futureLynnF has a brilliant futureLynnF has a brilliant futureLynnF has a brilliant futureLynnF has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
How funny/strange I was just looking for the same thing on the internet.

I googled 'closable air vents' and came up with a lot of sites... I just need to measure the grille to be sure that I get the right size, and these are light enough to pack and take there... to be sure you have them. Im sure these can be found in Spain, but its easier this way.

http://www.screwfix.com/cats/100139/...ooling/Ducting here is one that looks good.

or

http://www.sdslondon.co.uk/slotted-h...-hit-miss.html hit and miss vents

No commercial connectoins here.

In our case we want to close off a room that isnt being used, and its a shame to cool/heat it.

Regards
Jon
Great minds think alike! I will get "him who is never obeyed" to check it out !!

Lynn
Old Jun 30th 2009, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Wendy & Mike is an unknown quantity at this point

In our apartment on rago 2 the blades can be adjusted manually so that the air flow can be greatly reduced. Each blade, both horizontal and vertical, has to be adjusted individually, so it's not really an option on a day to day basis, but it's okay if you want to shut off a room.

On a different matter, when we were at our apartment earlier this month for the first time in 9 months we had problems with our gas water heater. The pilot light lit okay, but when we used the hot water taps the burners didn't fire up, so hence no hot water. As the weather was so hot, cold showers weren't a problem this time, but so that I don't have to suffer later in the year (yes, I know I'm soft) does anyone have a simple solution to the problem, or failing that, can anyone recommend a reliable plumber who preferably speaks English?

Thanks

Wendy
Old Jun 30th 2009, 1:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy & Mike
In our apartment on rago 2 the blades can be adjusted manually so that the air flow can be greatly reduced. Each blade, both horizontal and vertical, has to be adjusted individually, so it's not really an option on a day to day basis, but it's okay if you want to shut off a room.

On a different matter, when we were at our apartment earlier this month for the first time in 9 months we had problems with our gas water heater. The pilot light lit okay, but when we used the hot water taps the burners didn't fire up, so hence no hot water. As the weather was so hot, cold showers weren't a problem this time, but so that I don't have to suffer later in the year (yes, I know I'm soft) does anyone have a simple solution to the problem, or failing that, can anyone recommend a reliable plumber who preferably speaks English?

Thanks

Wendy
Is the pilot light flame going on the sensor, if not it won`t open the gas valve.
Or the sensor may be cream crackered.
If it is less than two years old it should still be under warrenty, so you could call out the makers engineers.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Thanks for the kind feedback. Our only regret is that we didnt extend our stay a bit - it seems that some of our favourite people are there, or there soon i.e Carol+John (that we saw fortunately on our last day); Kim from 'woodsie' on a girls weekend; Marisol and Fer (and Rocco) in July, Graham and Sandra, Mel and John and now I hear Sharon is going to be there with a bunch of gorgeous gals!! Oh no what are we missing!!

Now how can I slip away... hmmmmm Ayamonte isnt a 'nip around the corner'! What am I saying, my wife would jump at the chance to go back too - and dump me to join the various girls nights out and visit friends.

I just know that you all are going to have a wonderful time - have a glass or 2 - for us.

One place I've recommended before - that 'teedup' tried and enjoyed too with their friends is a little local bar just next to the Don Diego hotel/Eroski (the DD hotel is renamed now - but most know where it is). I arranged my birthday party there. 10 adults and 5 kids/teenagers took over the bar area, where they bought out platefuls of food for everyone - in 'buffet style' just help yourself from various plates placed in the centre of the table. As it was a big do I pre-arranged the booking in advance and also to get Cava, that they dont keep. What an unbelievable price I paid for the food, and all the drinks were Spanish prices I think around 7E for a bottle of wine; 1E for a beer etc etc. I think our guests werent just being polite when they said that they ate and drank really well. (And many were locals, non-tourists as well) Theres a secure open area opposite where the kids could kick a ball around (and lose to the adults in a footy match late in the evening!!!)

Please note its not a posh resto, but a bar/pub that serves good quality local food, pork steaks, ribs, some tapas, fish, cheese etc. Very local and rare to see tourists there. The owner Frederico is the shorter gentlemen, very friendly who speaks english and Manuel the larger gent - who is just a nice bloke!

When Teedup went there with friends - they just turned up and liked the local ambience, though at first wondered if they should eat there as it was so local, and the ladies had all dressed up for a night out, but decided to stay - and were glad that they did, even though at first they wondered about staying.

I hope it works for you if you try it and fancy a good pub-grub and drink meeeting in a local Spanish place. Not posh - but good fun and local ambience. GREAT FUN was had by all.

So therefore you can just turn up as well and ask for whatever they have or a buffet of mixed grill + fish etc. But if you are having a bigger party like I did - reserve it in advance to be sure.

You find it as follows:

Imagine walking out of the old Don Diego hotel lobby (so its behind you). Across the road are some small shops, with LOLYPAN on the left. (El Baario is effectively behind these shops)

Go down the road alongside Lolypan - for a few yards, turn right immediately and you will see it about 20 yards on the left.

Nice place to go after the market as its very buzzy and local too....

See attached for the bizcard and map.

Have fun - we know you will!

Jon

PS I have no commercial interest in the pub - just recommending somewhere nice.
Hi Jon,

Glad you both got back home safe,me & Pam both back in sunny Wigan now. was good to finally meet Kathryn and enjoyed our night out together,all a bit drunk!!,we made another visit to El Barrio for our evening meal with friends who were over for the week,sat outside this time. Great food again spoke to your mate Fredrico funny guy,but as you say a locals bar,but good fun.

Am suprised you never recommended that other food place were we ate?,overlooking the golf course,sipping fresh orange tucking into Costco Black pudding,along side scrambled eggs and beef tomatoes,mopped up with hot buttered toast??.

Ken.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:03 pm
Banned

John and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud ofJohn and Lynn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wendy & Mike
...On a different matter, when we were at our apartment earlier this month for the first time in 9 months we had problems with our gas water heater. The pilot light lit okay, but when we used the hot water taps the burners didn't fire up, so hence no hot water. As the weather was so hot, cold showers weren't a problem this time, but so that I don't have to suffer later in the year (yes, I know I'm soft) does anyone have a simple solution to the problem, or failing that, can anyone recommend a reliable plumber who preferably speaks English?

Thanks

Wendy
We have had the same problem on numerous visits and each time we have had to get someone to look at it. Each time they have taken it apart and put it back again, and then it works. We have never had the manufacturers come out as they need a spanish telephone number to log the call and then quote 5-7days to get someone out.

We have used different people to fix it each time and I wouldn't say that I could track any of them down again. So if anyone does know a reliable, contactable, english speaking plumber it would be good to know their details...
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by John and Lynn
We have had the same problem on numerous visits and each time we have had to get someone to look at it. Each time they have taken it apart and put it back again, and then it works. We have never had the manufacturers come out as they need a spanish telephone number to log the call and then quote 5-7days to get someone out.

We have used different people to fix it each time and I wouldn't say that I could track any of them down again. So if anyone does know a reliable, contactable, english speaking plumber it would be good to know their details...
Try George,from Manzana property rentals, really nice guy speaks english and lives on esuri with his family. Not sure of his number but he's on the net or has posters on various properties on Esuri,done few jobs for us very reliable.
No connection though,

Ken.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:44 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Who ever you get make sure they are registered gas installers, not just handymen.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:55 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Who ever you get make sure they are registered gas installers, not just handymen.
Why use registered Spanish gas installers and be safe and totally covered in case of ...whatever..., when it is much nicer to give Joe Bloggs just two doors down a bit of cash, cos he needs it, and it would be nice and all that, ...oh, and of course English speaking, none of that foreign rubbish!!!

Bless!!!
Old Jun 30th 2009, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Purple Parrot were going to arrange a (Spanish) gas fitter to come and give my gas heater the once over.You could try getting in touch with them(via their web site PurpleParrotGroup.com) Note: I have no connection with PPG apart from being a satisfied customer.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really niceSteve and Pat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Why use registered Spanish gas installers and be safe and totally covered in case of ...whatever..., when it is much nicer to give Joe Bloggs just two doors down a bit of cash, cos he needs it, and it would be nice and all that, ...oh, and of course English speaking, none of that foreign rubbish!!!

Bless!!!
Have you thought of applying for the Moderator's job? Mitzyboy is looking for someone to moderate this forum (or is it a thread?) I'm sure you will enjoy keeping us all in line!
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

My OH has just come from a girly weekend in CE (don't ask). Whilst there she noticed that there seems to be a sudden proliferation of digital TV aerials- all over Ayamonte as well as CE. There is even one on top of our block. I presume that this is the onset of Spanish digital terrestrial broadcasting (freeview) in the area. What better way to get to understand some of the language and customs than watching Spanish TV. Who knows we may even be able to attract Spanish guests too.
Does anyone know how you get connected?
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:07 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeJ
My OH has just come from a girly weekend in CE (don't ask). Whilst there she noticed that there seems to be a sudden proliferation of digital TV aerials- all over Ayamonte as well as CE. There is even one on top of our block. I presume that this is the onset of Spanish digital terrestrial broadcasting (freeview) in the area. What better way to get to understand some of the language and customs than watching Spanish TV. Who knows we may even be able to attract Spanish guests too.
Does anyone know how you get connected?
Probably "The Guy" knows best, his website is in his signature. I think it´s www.satandpcguy.com*

*no commercial interest..........
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:09 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve and Pat
Have you thought of applying for the Moderator's job? Mitzyboy is looking for someone to moderate this forum (or is it a thread?) I'm sure you will enjoy keeping us all in line!
Please say you are kidding!?

You do know he is Welsh right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.