Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

costa del street crime

costa del street crime

Old Jun 25th 2009, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light
Default costa del street crime

I live in barcelona and am considering a move to Arroyo de la Miel/Benalmadena. I have recently seen this programme advertised and although I can't watch it on my tv, I was looking at some of the topics: car theft, racist attacks against Brits, etc etc. I must stress we will be aiming to fit in with the locals as much as poss and aim to live in a "Spanish" area (my husband is south american), and have a young son so will be involved in family-oriented, everyday activities. Do you see much of this kind of behaviour or is it "the usual story" of the media picking up on all the negative? I am sure that you get dodgy things happening absolutely everywhere, but would be interested to know if it particularly bad there. Thanks!
Old Jun 26th 2009, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: costa del street crime

We made the same move about a year ago. We're in Benalmadena Pueblo. Dont worry about English programmes like that, they are only out to scandalise and are not interested in the truth!

Plus I think the prog is focussed on the English areas like the giant British "council estate" that there is on Benalmadena Costa and Fuengirola

I find the area to be as Spanish or as English as you want it. Depends what shops, restaurants you choose to go in and what friends you have. Positives are this area is a lot cheaper than Barcelona and weather is more comfortable (in summer and winter). Negatives are a lot of bad housing, not sure how good the schools are (there may be probs with lots of non-Spanish speakers in the schools too) and lack of job opportunities
Old Jun 26th 2009, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I have an apt in Los Pacos (to the rear of Fuengirola). I have also seen the series you mention several times, I can honestly say that I have seen very little of these things mentioned in the series. The area is calm, peaceful and lovely to be in.
Maybe the port in Benal is full of this type of incident, and when you get peed up tourists in Fuengirola centre, anything can happen. Probably drink is the worst culprit for what goes on.

regards

lph
Old Jun 26th 2009, 11:36 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
I live in barcelona and am considering a move to Arroyo de la Miel/Benalmadena. I have recently seen this programme advertised and although I can't watch it on my tv, I was looking at some of the topics: car theft, racist attacks against Brits, etc etc. I must stress we will be aiming to fit in with the locals as much as poss and aim to live in a "Spanish" area (my husband is south american), and have a young son so will be involved in family-oriented, everyday activities. Do you see much of this kind of behaviour or is it "the usual story" of the media picking up on all the negative? I am sure that you get dodgy things happening absolutely everywhere, but would be interested to know if it particularly bad there. Thanks!
Don`t take any notice of that program, I think Martina Cole and livit work for them.
The school in Arroya near the park is excellent and the one in the pueblo is good too.
Don`t worry there is a brand new hospital been built halfway to the Pueblo and a brand new clinic in Torre if you get attacked by the few unsavoury tourists at 24 hour Square. lol
As said though you may struggle to get employment.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

hitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nice

doesn't matter where you go nowadays, you will always find this type of behaivour to a certain extent. everywhere has places you dont want to go to but unfortunately the english media pick up on the incidents that are so "scandalous" and throw them at us as a true representation of real life and it actually isnt!

job wise, you may find difficulties, but with regards to the programme, dont worry about it.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

It's probably a Helluva sight safer than in any city in UK
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

hitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunmovin
It's probably a Helluva sight safer than in any city in UK
Why? I have had more problems in Spain than the Uk... People always slate the uk on this site and it is one of my pet gripes! There is nothing wrong with the uk, yes there is knife crime, but there is also the same in spain (got stabbed in spain when I was 14 so going on 16 years ago) and has been for many years. I think most people get blinded by the sun or by their own fantasies of how perfect their life in Spain is... Open your eyes and see that the reason that expats are so blinkered is that they only read the uk papers and not all the spanish dailies that also detail the crime rate and shite happenings in spain...
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

It's just my opinion. I was recently back in Scotland for just 8 days during which, I seen two fights in pubs, heard of several stabbings, a friend had their car vandalised and quite a few other crimes going on.

The changes in Britain since I left 15 years ago made me decide not to live there.

I have been in Spain for a year now, never seen any fights, anybody I have seen drunk have been expats, (I frequently see one in the mirror) and don't know anyone who had been robbed here.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

sorry not being xenophobic in the slightest but...Scotland...all part of the package isnt it...?
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

not at all we Scots are nice friendly people. We keep the place tidy as well.
"keep Scotland tidy, throw your rubbish in England" so we did..... and that's how Gordon Brown is PM
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

whats england got that scotland and wales havent and they dont want?

Scotland and Wales...

No offence meant at all before anyone jumps in and starts slating me!!!
Old Jun 26th 2009, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for your messages, I have lived in Spain for over 7 years, am fluent in Spanish (and our 3 year old son will be bilingual) and my hubbie is from Colombia so we are well-versed on the realities. I am a freelance translator (mainly via computer) so no worries for me workwise. We have quite an entrepreneurial spirit too, so have no real concerns there. We are looking forward to the move, we find the people in Barcelona are friendly enough on a superficial level, but when it comes to social occasions, you rarely get an invite. We get the impression that Andalucia in general has so much going on and a real buzz, and people are much more open "on the whole". We are slightly concerned about the British yob element, but feel that we can avoid that, especially by living in a more Spanish area. This is why this programme rang a few alarm bells, but to be honest I realise that TV producers like a good story. We are looking at Bellavista, it looks like a lovely area to live in, central but "real". I would love to think that perhaps it would be possible to meet some of the posters when we move there, as we will be keen to make friends of all nationalities as soon as possible!
Old Jun 26th 2009, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cricketman
We made the same move about a year ago. We're in Benalmadena Pueblo. Dont worry about English programmes like that, they are only out to scandalise and are not interested in the truth!

Plus I think the prog is focussed on the English areas like the giant British "council estate" that there is on Benalmadena Costa and Fuengirola

I find the area to be as Spanish or as English as you want it. Depends what shops, restaurants you choose to go in and what friends you have. Positives are this area is a lot cheaper than Barcelona and weather is more comfortable (in summer and winter). Negatives are a lot of bad housing, not sure how good the schools are (there may be probs with lots of non-Spanish speakers in the schools too) and lack of job opportunities
When you say it is more comfortable, isn't it much hotter in summer? Perhaps though it is a drier, more comfortable heat than the sticky, humid heat of Barcelona? I hope that it what you mean! How did you find the change from Bcn to CDS? I would be interested to hear your opinions.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
When you say it is more comfortable, isn't it much hotter in summer? Perhaps though it is a drier, more comfortable heat than the sticky, humid heat of Barcelona? I hope that it what you mean! How did you find the change from Bcn to CDS? I would be interested to hear your opinions.
Yes exactly, the sun is hotter but the heat is dryer near Malaga. As you know the heat in BCN is humid and uncomfortable. The CDS is more comfortable in general as you can get more property for your money and it is easy to nip on the motorway and zip off somewhere great for the weekend. Plus Malaga city is actually a great city, not as cool or beautiful as BCN, but is has a friendly vibe and great places to walk around, eat and they put concerts on etc

I'd say the Andalucians are characters (as any non-Andalucian Spaniard would tell you) louder, friendly and maybe more uncooth than the Catalans, but they definitely have a spirit I've always found them very welcome as long as I speak in Spanish

Saying that, I wouldnt rule out a move back to BCN, but I'd be more careful with my property choice this time. BCN is a cool place, maybe better for our careers and I have family and friends there
Old Jun 26th 2009, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

A bit uncouth is fine by me, I am certainly not "cool" and like to have fun so I think it will be ideal!! My husband too is used to friendly people, the Colombians are so warm. And yes, cheaper property is a big draw, although getting the mortgage is now the snag... Off topic I know (although we are talking about crime so many estate agents are not so far from this topic.... apologies to the honest estate agents out there!) but does anyone know any good and reasonably priced mortgage brokers?! We have given up trying to do it ourselves...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.