Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Costa del Sol vs North of Spain

Costa del Sol vs North of Spain

Old Oct 1st 2014, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costa del Sol vs North of Spain

Originally Posted by Anna Collins1
We currently live in the Malaga province and would really like to visit the North of Spain for a holiday next August. I've pretty much had enough of the August heat down here, huge influx in tourists and the terrible drivers that seem to be part and parcel of summers on the Costa del Sol.

Please could anyone advise on a holiday destination in the North of Spain,the areas i'd love to visit are San Sebastian, Asturias and Santander...are all of those feasible in say a 10 to 14 day holiday and what is the best way to get from one place to another. Is there a train that we can take or would we be more suited hiring a car.

Also are summers in the north really any different to here on the Costa del Sol?

Any other towns/villages worth seeing?? bearing in mind we will have a 3 year old with us.

Recommendations greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Anna
If you live in the Malaga area, then it might be worth flying to Bilbao; takes 1hr 10mins. I'd suggest hiring a car.
San Sebastian is an hour's drive from Bilbao on the motorway. Visit the 'casco viejo' & get lost among the streets with bars a plenty serving pintxos.
Another 20 mins gets you to France & the pretty resort of St Juan de Luz.
For surfing if you want it, try Zarautz, the "Biarritz" of Euskadi. Other good surfing can be found at Laga, Laida, Muskiz or Getaria.
Bilbao has the Guggenheim of course, as well as lots of good bars in the 'casco viejo/siete called' area just over the river Nervion.
For a coffee mid morning. try Café Iruña, opposite the BBVA bank building.
Vitoria? Personally, I'd give it a miss if time is short.
Other places to see; Laguardia in La Rioja is worth it; a good hour from Blbao. Not far away is the 'museum of wine' near Briones, just past Haro. Got the biggest collection of corkscrews in the world!
If you've time, drive to Urkiola, just past Durango, 40 mins from Bilbao. Worth the climb for the views, even with a 3yr old part of the way, then in a rucksack for the last bit. Amboto Mt is 1350m.
If you're interested, I can supply more info.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costa del Sol vs North of Spain

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
I think we need to count our blessings on the CdS, Summer has been a disaster this year in NE Spain, the Cote d'Azur and the Italian Riviera.
With the Global temperature changes it promises to continue like this.
I was driving in Nice yesterday, Malaga is heaps better.................and safer!
Weather has been great up here in Asturias. Summer is always late here. June can be cold still but July to September are lovely

It can still rain on any day, but temperatures are usually 20-26c which is perfect. It is rarely too hot to do anything. Perfect for summers cycling, hiking, canoing and running around on the beach

Just dont come in April expecting a beach holiday. You would have to be extremely lucky!