Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Costa del Sol vs North of Spain

Costa del Sol vs North of Spain

Old Sep 24th 2014, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Anna Collins1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Costa del Sol vs North of Spain

We currently live in the Malaga province and would really like to visit the North of Spain for a holiday next August. I've pretty much had enough of the August heat down here, huge influx in tourists and the terrible drivers that seem to be part and parcel of summers on the Costa del Sol.

Please could anyone advise on a holiday destination in the North of Spain,the areas i'd love to visit are San Sebastian, Asturias and Santander...are all of those feasible in say a 10 to 14 day holiday and what is the best way to get from one place to another. Is there a train that we can take or would we be more suited hiring a car.

Also are summers in the north really any different to here on the Costa del Sol?

Any other towns/villages worth seeing?? bearing in mind we will have a 3 year old with us.

Recommendations greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Anna
Old Sep 25th 2014, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costa del Sol vs North of Spain

Summers in the North are completely different to the South

A typical day with be 20-25c with maybe a two third chance of it being sunny with a one third chance that it will be overcast or rainy

I've just spent 2 weeks on the coast between Ribadesella and Llanes in Asturias. It was absolutely fantastic. Some of the best beaches in Spain. 36 differnet ones, mostly no buildings around them and different in character. Countryside, mountains, great food, and just a splattering of people as long as you stay away from those two large towns themselves. Actually, maybe I shouldnt share this information because I want it to stay like this

For cities, San Sebastian, Bilbao, Vitoria, Oviedo and Gijon are all interesting culturally and have a seriously good food especially San Sebastian. The beaches are all great in Asturias and Cantabria. I dont know as much about the Basque country except that I know that a lot of Basques prefer to come to Cantabria and Asturias.

Language wise I've never heard English spoken
Old Sep 28th 2014, 9:14 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on what you want really. Whilst we lived in Spain we visited a lot of it on "tours".

The very North West is beautiful. Galicia, parts of it reminded me of Scotland with all the forests. The towns and cities have a lot of history. Surprisingly there are beaches there for the kids also!!!

Inland, Aragon and surrounding areas was my favourite trip. However, it is inland and although the countryside is great, the kids might not we that excited about it.

As a multi trip, Cadiz, Seville, Cordoba and Granada were fantastic. I especially liked Seville, and of course in Granada you can see the Alhambra

But if you want a beach holiday then I guess any of the Costas will do you, although from personal experience the beaches and towns around the Javea Denia, Oliva, Gandia are excellent (many blue flag), and theres a lot to do.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anna Collins1
We currently live in the Malaga province and would really like to visit the North of Spain for a holiday next August. I've pretty much had enough of the August heat down here, huge influx in tourists and the terrible drivers that seem to be part and parcel of summers on the Costa del Sol.

Please could anyone advise on a holiday destination in the North of Spain,the areas i'd love to visit are San Sebastian, Asturias and Santander...are all of those feasible in say a 10 to 14 day holiday and what is the best way to get from one place to another. Is there a train that we can take or would we be more suited hiring a car.

Also are summers in the north really any different to here on the Costa del Sol?

Any other towns/villages worth seeing?? bearing in mind we will have a 3 year old with us.

Anna
The North of Spain is wonderful and in recent years September was always better than August. Weather and scenery is similar to Ireland but a bit warmer. In Santander you have on average 1640 sunshine hours a year and in Wexford 1600. Wexford has roughly 9 rainy days in August and Santander 7 days. That means climate is perfect to enjoy hiking and you still get some good sunny days to sit outside.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your advice and recommendations everyone. I like the sound of a few days on the beach around Asturias with a couple of nearby cities thrown in..I will do a little more research.

Also the weather sounds perfect too although I'm quite surprised it is so similar to England/Ireland, I guess that's why everyone says it's so 'green' up there.

Thanks again
Old Sep 29th 2014, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your advice and recommendations everyone. I like the sound of a few days on the beach around Asturias with a couple of nearby cities thrown in..I will do a little more research.

Also the weather sounds perfect too although I'm quite surprised it is so similar to England/Ireland, I guess that's why everyone says it's so 'green' up there.

Thanks again
Yeah weather is always a subject:-). The British never really appreciate what they have and are constantly moaning. Hastings in the UK actually has far more sunshine than Bilbao (about 250 hours more a year). Like the UK, you just need a decent windproof jacket and you'll find that the climate is perfect.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 12:05 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
...The British never really appreciate what they have and are constantly moaning. ....
+1
Old Sep 29th 2014, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again

Who's moaning??? Like i said, it sounds perfect...
Old Sep 29th 2014, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Who's moaning??? Like i said, it sounds perfect...
Not you, but many Brits in general.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

t2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond repute

Anna

How about the North East of Spain? Come visit Catalan world Other than the Barcelona tourist trap, theres loads to visit.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Any suggestions for the Catalan region t2uds??
Old Sep 29th 2014, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Anna
Have just got back from UK, visiting my mother. Am catching up with emails etc.
We live in Bizkaia (Elorrio)
If you like any of the following, I can send details, probably tomorrow when I've wound down:

surfing
cycling
walking in the mountains
general 'tourist' visits
la Rioja
bars with good pintxos/tortilla
Bilbao
Donosti (San Sebastian).

PS: you've chosen well; the weather in general can get hot here in summer, though obviously never as guaranteed to be boringly hot day after day for months on end as in the south; it means you sleep more comfortably.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

I'd recommend hiring a car. You can certainly get from one city/town to another via train or bus. But you want to be able to stop and see the beautiful coastline along the way.

- Eric S.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Eric, that's a good point.

Definitely interested in Ra Rioja, i heard you can hire bikes and cycle through the valleys tasting the various wines?? Do you know the best way to arrange or book something like this?... Although not very responsible with a 3 year old
Old Oct 1st 2014, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

I think we need to count our blessings on the CdS, Summer has been a disaster this year in NE Spain, the Cote d'Azur and the Italian Riviera.
With the Global temperature changes it promises to continue like this.
I was driving in Nice yesterday, Malaga is heaps better.................and safer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.