British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Costa Del Sol - Accomodation Request (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/costa-del-sol-accomodation-request-528372/)

drw1978 Apr 10th 2008 4:57 pm

Costa Del Sol - Accomodation Request

Hello

My name's Dean and I'am seriously considering a move to the costa del sol whilst working in Gibraltar (I.T Support).

I'm heading over to the area and was hoping to find some cheap accomodation anywhere within an 1 hour and 30mins of gibraltar.

Does anyone have any ideas where I could get somthing really cheap?

Also any ideas on cheap flights would be good the cheapest I can find is around £180 from newcastle to malaga. The dates I intent to come over are the 22nd may and to leave on the 26th.

Thanks in advance! :D

gallerie9 Apr 10th 2008 5:52 pm

Re: Costa Del Sol - Accomodation Request

Originally Posted by drw1978 (Post 6189414)
Hello

My name's Dean and I'am seriously considering a move to the costa del sol whilst working in Gibraltar (I.T Support).

I'm heading over to the area and was hoping to find some cheap accomodation anywhere within an 1 hour and 30mins of gibraltar.

Does anyone have any ideas where I could get somthing really cheap?

Also any ideas on cheap flights would be good the cheapest I can find is around £180 from newcastle to malaga. The dates I intent to come over are the 22nd may and to leave on the 26th.

Thanks in advance! :D

Standsted to Jerez, Jerez is 1hr 20 mins from Gib.

brodev Apr 11th 2008 8:38 am

What is Cheap?

brodev Apr 11th 2008 8:56 am

If you are talking about the 4 days in May I would suggest that you stay in a Hostal in La Linea next to the border. La Campana Hostal has a room for 27 euros per night
http://www.meligrana.com/alojamiento...la-campana.asp

onlineamiga Apr 11th 2008 9:29 am

Hi drw1978.

If you need any advice then give me a shout, as I also work in Gibraltar in IT Support.
A reqqy trip sounds like a good idea. But dont let la linea put you off its a cack hole. Gibraltar isnt exactly visually exciting either. I recommend you have a good run down the coast to Marbella and up into the mountains. Theres some lovely places around.

Costa Resident Apr 11th 2008 11:00 am

Originally Posted by onlineamiga (Post 6192351)
Hi drw1978.

Gibraltar isnt exactly visually exciting either.

If a 426-metre high limestone rock rising out of the sea isn't visually exciting then I don't know what is.

jdr Apr 11th 2008 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Costa Resident (Post 6192702)
If a 426-metre high limestone rock rising out of the sea isn't visually exciting then I don't know what is.

The only bit I think is visually exciting is the gate out.
It looks better from a few miles away, it should inprove though as they are now spending a few bob doing it up.

onlineamiga Apr 11th 2008 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Costa Resident (Post 6192702)

Yeah the rock is impressive, but the town isnt particularly. Its like mini-england.

brodev Apr 11th 2008 3:46 pm

I'm quirky, I like Gib.

lcortez Apr 11th 2008 3:49 pm

Do they still have those monkeys in Gib,or have they all been rounded up for health & safety reasons?:)

Costa Resident Apr 11th 2008 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by brodev (Post 6194189)
I'm quirky, I like Gib.

Gibraltar seems to be one of those places that divides opinions. I like it! (but wouldn't want to live there).

Spanish John Apr 12th 2008 11:40 am

I agree,nice for a day trip.Is it right that they only accept Gib money now?,someone told me that they won`t accept English money-you have to change it first and that the exchange rate was abysmal.I took some Gib money back to the UK last year and none of the banks would touch it,had to get rid of it in the shops in Carlisle.

jdr Apr 12th 2008 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Spanish John (Post 6197768)
I agree,nice for a day trip.Is it right that they only accept Gib money now?,someone told me that they won`t accept English money-you have to change it first and that the exchange rate was abysmal.I took some Gib money back to the UK last year and none of the banks would touch it,had to get rid of it in the shops in Carlisle.

They take anything. ;-))