Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Costa Blanca property prices?

Costa Blanca property prices?

Old Jan 22nd 2010, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costa Blanca property prices?

Originally Posted by HBG
I am looking further north as well, and have already lived up there, and it may sound a bit silly, but what puts us off is the insistence of some local people (and the authorities) to speak Valenciano. It’s not a big deal (I nearly said Dell), but I’ve struggled long enough to learn Castellano to bother with what I consider a dead language. Bon Nit.
My House is between Cheste and Lliria and they speak in whichever language you prefer! 25 minutes from the airport by car, 30 from the city by car or metro, very few urbs, and much more for your money!
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 3:31 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valenciatim
My House is between Cheste and Lliria and they speak in whichever language you prefer! 25 minutes from the airport by car, 30 from the city by car or metro, very few urbs, and much more for your money!
Thank you for the information, it will be considered. We could do with another visit to Valencia in the near future, I love the place.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 3:36 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
With all this going on, rent, rent, rent is still the best solution, at least for a year or three.......
That's what I want to do, the other half of the team is babbling on about security, I'm trying my best to explain . . .
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cricketman
Not in the CDS they're not!

A property for sale at 500k euros will get 1k euros/month rent i.e. 2% yield! And that's asumming you'll actually get someone to rent and doesnt include any bills or repairs
Just to clarify, I'm on about how much money an asset can produce. In the case of property that includes if it used as a holiday let. If a property can only generate 12k even with a bit of lateral thinking, then it really is only worth 168k.

On cheaper en of the market (very cheap end) you might scrape a 10 yeild, if, as it has been stated, you can rent the place out in the first place.

I have heard of places on the market for as little as 70k, if they were sold for say, 60k and rent was 500 a month, that would bring in 6k a year.

The only problem with that theory, is that I dont think anyone would pay 500euros rentfor a property worth so little.
Everything has a price. If no one wants to rent a property then the rent must be lowered until it finds a taker. Then the usual valuation rules apply.

An interesting formula, and I asked around. A property for sale at 200K in this area, would rent out at 600 a month, a yield of about 3%.
Again don't forget to assess it based on what it could earn as a holiday rental. (If it's in a resort area).

In my opinion (and experience), if you stick by the formula, even when buying somewhere to live, you won't go wrong. I'd always rather be buying than renting, in fact the first six months I was here is the longest I've ever rented anywhere.
As for a get out plan, property is always a long term investment, only sell when it is to your advantage. A property bought with a deposit and whose numbers 'stack up' as they say will look after itself.

Those are my numbers (7%) BTW, different investors have different risk strategies. To think my first house investment, (when I was 22) yielded 18% and I thought I'd paid too much!

Those were the days.

Ste.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Splatt
Just to clarify, I'm on about how much money an asset can produce. In the case of property that includes if it used as a holiday let. If a property can only generate 12k even with a bit of lateral thinking, then it really is only worth 168k.

Everything has a price. If no one wants to rent a property then the rent must be lowered until it finds a taker. Then the usual valuation rules apply.

Again don't forget to assess it based on what it could earn as a holiday rental. (If it's in a resort area).

In my opinion (and experience), if you stick by the formula, even when buying somewhere to live, you won't go wrong. I'd always rather be buying than renting, in fact the first six months I was here is the longest I've ever rented anywhere.
As for a get out plan, property is always a long term investment, only sell when it is to your advantage. A property bought with a deposit and whose numbers 'stack up' as they say will look after itself.

Those are my numbers (7%) BTW, different investors have different risk strategies. To think my first house investment, (when I was 22) yielded 18% and I thought I'd paid too much!

Those were the days.

Ste.

Long gone are the days when you could make money from holiday rentals on the CDS, there are just too many of them. I know people who have villas and apartments for holiday rentals and get between 0-6 weeks a year. Very low returns.

There are so many British people in the South of Spain, that those who want to be here already have property in Spain, have family with property in Spain or know friends with a spare bedroom
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
We’re surrounded by a sea of Se Vende signs, at stupid prices, and are prepared to pitch ours, bought ten years ago, well below those, but expect our next property to be realistically priced too.

What do you think, folks?
Don't forget that if you're planning to sell to a british buyer, they'll mentally convert your Euros price into Sterling - and the pound has dropped by 30% in recent years. So if when you bought 10 years ago, the place cost €200k that might have been around £130k(at €1.55/£ as was then). If you're now trying to sell at €200k, that's gonna cost the british buyer £180k. Once you take into account the tax you paid on the purchase and the commission you'll pay on the sale, you;d have to be prepared to make a LARGE loss, in Euro terms, to get any interest from brits.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:50 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete_l
Don't forget that if you're planning to sell to a british buyer, they'll mentally convert your Euros price into Sterling - and the pound has dropped by 30% in recent years. So if when you bought 10 years ago, the place cost €200k that might have been around £130k(at €1.55/£ as was then). If you're now trying to sell at €200k, that's gonna cost the british buyer £180k. Once you take into account the tax you paid on the purchase and the commission you'll pay on the sale, you;d have to be prepared to make a LARGE loss, in Euro terms, to get any interest from brits.
This is the danger of currency fluctuations. However seeing as the UK is not going to join the Euro (in my view not in the next 10 years, and so perhaps never), the next best thing would be for the pound to appreciate in value. It is currently doing so, but I wouldn't bet my house on it continuing to rise throughout 2010, as the UK has a massive debt problem We can only cross our fingers and hope..
Old Jan 24th 2010, 12:25 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by pete_l
I bought in Pesetas, before the Euro, and I’ve long forgotten what the exchange rate was, but it seemed better at the time than now. You could get a coffee and a brandy in Eduardo’s in Benidorm for 100 Pesetas, but I haven’t been back there for a while.

For practical purposes I’ve been counting the pound at parity for the last year, unfortunately.

Last edited by HBG; Jan 24th 2010 at 12:27 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

House valuation as a multiple of earnings is a good start but 7% is not easy to get in Costa Blanca area. More like 4-5% which is similar to UK.

Yield is nice to have but the smart money is in the capital appreciation, bit like the dividend & growth in a share.

Villas do sell here but at realistic prices - its a bit of a false market. The overpriced stuff failed to sell for years in the boom years & just makes the fairly priced stuff look even better value.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I bought in Pesetas, before the Euro, and I’ve long forgotten what the exchange rate was,
I pulled that rate from www.xe.com Go to tools and then historic rates and you can dial in whatever currency (incl. pesetas) and date you want to get the rate for. I just used the £/€ from Jan 2001
Old Jan 25th 2010, 4:31 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks. I bought in ’09, but it was at the time of daft values on the escritura and bundles of money stuffed in underpants on the anxious walk round to the notary’s office. I suppose that will be another problem if I manage to sell, along with all the bits added on without planning permission 20 years before I bought the place. And a couple of bits after I bought.

Our reason for selling is to downsize due to family changes, so it’s not urgent, although I’m totally fed up weeding a large plot. There’s a two-and-a-half metre wall on three sides (for the burglars) and some weeds are up to the top of it.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Peter1954 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HBG
For some time now, we’ve been considering trying to sell our property on the Costa Blanca to buy a different kind of property, in the same area.

For that reason I’ve been studying what the experts have said about the market and I’ve come to the conclusion that they don’t know what they’re talking about.

Which is why I’m far more interested in what the ordinary members of this forum think.

We’re surrounded by a sea of Se Vende signs, at stupid prices, and are prepared to pitch ours, bought ten years ago, well below those, but expect our next property to be realistically priced too.

What do you think, folks?
What is all this talk about yields and percentages? Doesn't anybody remember what houses are for? To live in? Does it matter a diddly squat what it's worth after you've bought it if you actually live in the thing? Pete
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:47 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Cos he is trying to sell, best to read the post again.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

Peter1954 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have read the post. Anyone who has been a house owner over the last 20 years has probably experienced negative equity. If you buy a house to live in and not as 'an investment' prices shouldn't matter. If prices are low - don't sell, Wait until they go up again (which they will). It's no good complaining if you can't get the price you want. For the record, I put a property on the market in the UK for £400k. It's still on the market - for £200k. And still hasn't sold. I'm not complaining, that's the way things are at the moment and I suspect the value of my Spanish house has gone down too since I bought it in 2006. But I don't really care because there's nothing that can be done about it.
Peter
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by Peter1954
I have read the post. Anyone who has been a house owner over the last 20 years has probably experienced negative equity. If you buy a house to live in and not as 'an investment' prices shouldn't matter. If prices are low - don't sell, Wait until they go up again (which they will). It's no good complaining if you can't get the price you want. For the record, I put a property on the market in the UK for £400k. It's still on the market - for £200k. And still hasn't sold. I'm not complaining, that's the way things are at the moment and I suspect the value of my Spanish house has gone down too since I bought it in 2006. But I don't really care because there's nothing that can be done about it.
Peter
send me a link to the property in the uk i could be interested.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.