Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Costa Blanca Info...

Wikiposts

Costa Blanca Info...

Old Dec 12th 2012, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Tambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant future
Default Costa Blanca Info...

Hi

After more research and weighing up pros and cons we have made a decision for the wife and kids to move to Playa Flamenca area in Aug 2013.

I will be staying here in Australia and continue the business until christmas, then a decision will be made either they come back or I go to meet them.

I understand work is an issue so I have already taken steps to provide a passive income for ourselves, so income should not be an issue.

We have decided to send kids to an international school called Mar Azul.

Just a couple of questions

1 - Does anyone have experience of this school?

2 - Living costs? Not including school costs would €2000 a month be a comfortable livestyle? this is based on a €450 a month rental.

I would define comfortable as

a) Eating out 2 or 3 times a week (nothing extravagant just cheap chinese or pub meal)

b) The ability to buy a coffee and sit and enjoy watching world go by when i fancy (maybe 3 times a week) In australia that would be €4 a coffee

c) Enjoy a beer or two in a local bar once or twice a week (in australia it cost €10 a pint)

d) Be a member of a gym

e) Live without the worry of having to be at the beck and call of a boss

f) Complete a bit of work - charity work or volentary work in school at my leisure

g) Be closer to family (UK) and have the ability to travel to different places / countries easily NOTE: i will have a different budget for this (in australia everything so far away 5 hrours drive gets you nowhere)

Last edited by Tambo; Dec 12th 2012 at 8:15 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 6:40 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costa Blanca Info...

well for drinks you will be €'s in pocket

small beer (330ml) is around €1.40 and includes a plate of basic tapas
coffee is around €1.10 and you can get a donut for about 90c to go with it
subject to the weather, which is positively Cold at this time of year, sitting watching the world go by is quite enjoyable.

It is possible to get a decent meal cheaply, generally go where the locals go not where the tourists go. We can get a lunchtime meal for €3.50 each or a huge plate of paella for two for €10.

as to the other things it all depends on exactly how far you are from anywhere, the only problem I see is that you will probably have to fly to another country to get a flight to Oz

many years since I was in Oz but it was more of a ripoff than London even then, so I am sure you will manage nicely in Spain.

My BH moved out here 31/2 years ago when a job suddenly came up, giving us the opportunity to see if she could settle to a foreign land/language so i stayed in the UK for 2 years. It can work but you all have to be behind the project.

kind regards
`
Old Dec 13th 2012, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Tambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant future

Thank you for that - I fogot to mention I am originally from UK which is one of the reasons we are thinking of moving to spain.

Love the climated in australia but distance to UK is an issue now parents etc older.

Does anyone else have an input or experiences when looking at living costs

Not including school costs would €2000 a month be a comfortable livestyle? this is based on a €450 a month rental.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 3:09 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I am retired and have no children to worry about so cannot answer many of your questions

however, you may find this
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=761671
Living on 800 Euro a month in Spain
a potentially interesting thread about lifestyle and cost of living

rgds
Old Dec 13th 2012, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

flotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond repute

Electricity for a family of 4 we average 125 euros a month but do not have air con. , my water is riego but I know that in town my sister pays 60 euros per month for her and her husband, school trips and out of school activities and school books for state school we have to put aside 150 euros per month but my daughter rides and my son plays football so this is included in that figure. Basically we live on your proposed budget. Must say have not found a meal out in local pub restaraunt here for less than 9 euros for menu del dia, however chinese menu del dia is about 5 euros. We don't belong to a gym so have no idea about this.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 10:20 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

You ought to be able to live on 2000€ excluding your kids schooling. I have no idea what that would cost? Gym membership is an expensive luxury, buy a bicycle.

What made you choose Playa Flamenca?
Old Dec 15th 2012, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply.

We have chosen Playa Flemenca as my parents lived there for 7 years and have many contacts. I think that may help us when we arrive.

It also seems to have the things we are after, close to beach, shopping, food and drink, 2 o3 three hourse to ski slopes and each access to airports.

Why do you ask??
Old Dec 15th 2012, 5:50 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

It can be stressful finding your way in a new country and it will be helpful to live close to family.

I asked because I know the area very well.

I hope you enjoy your new adventure.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

and what do you think to the area?

Is it safe?

Are there plenty of shopping centre and restaurants stips (or cafe strips) that you can walk along at night (6 -7pm).

Does it get busy?

Are the local pubs, family friendly (my parants do not drink)?

Are there plenty of parks, open grass space etc for kids?
Old Dec 15th 2012, 8:35 pm
Started off with nothing

Well, it is not where I would choose and IMHO there are better urbanisations in the area. However, what suits me may not be right for you and I hesitated to comment further. My "kids" are 26 and 30, so my priorities are different. Your parents live there and should be able to give you a far better insight than I can.

I would suggest you take a short term rental at first. Take a month or more to look around and decide what is right for you.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 8:44 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tambo
and what do you think to the area?

Is it safe?

Are there plenty of shopping centre and restaurants stips (or cafe strips) that you can walk along at night (6 -7pm).

Does it get busy?

Are the local pubs, family friendly (my parants do not drink)?

Are there plenty of parks, open grass space etc for kids?
We lived there for a while, plenty of bars cafes etc, nice beachside area, done up about 5 years ago, good shopping, and if you want mare then Torrevieja is only a few minutes away. Certainly was safe in the evening when we lived there, we were often out walking home at around 10pm. Pubs cater for holiday makers so yes, family friendly. Not a lot of park areas, but with the beach there you don't really need them. There are parks not far away though. I would stick to Playa Flamenca in the evenings, Torrevieja does have a bit of a reputation in some parts, but this is no different to any large urban area.
Old Dec 15th 2012, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Gym membership is an expensive luxury, buy a bicycle.
Costs may be different in your area, but I pay €43 per month for my gym membership (including unlimited fitness classes and a 20m heated indoor pool). That's with a 20% discount for paying a year upfront, and I think that's pretty cheap, certainly compared with what I used to pay in the UK for somewhere with similar facilities. There are lots of smaller gyms around here with less facilities that offer membership from around €20 per month.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 2:47 am
Started off with nothing

I must admit that I am not a gym person. I can't see the point when we have the great outdoors to excercse in.

OP may be interested to know there is a rather nice hotel near Playa Flamenca, where adults can swim with their kids for free, then relax by the pool and enjoy a drink and food. http://www.resortorihuelacosta.com/home.htm
Old Dec 16th 2012, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I must admit that I am not a gym person. I can't see the point when we have the great outdoors to excercse in.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0...osta%2BWebsite

OP may be interested to know there is a rather nice hotel near Playa Flamenca, where adults can swim with their kids for free, then relax by the pool and enjoy a drink and food. http://www.resortorihuelacosta.com/home.htm
We all like to get our exercise in different ways, I must admit I'm a fair weather walker only and wouldn't be likely to get much outdoor exercise either when it's pouring down or 35C outside!
Old Dec 16th 2012, 5:23 am
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by Lynn R
We all like to get our exercise in different ways, I must admit I'm a fair weather walker only and wouldn't be likely to get much outdoor exercise either when it's pouring down or 35C outside!
Sure thing, many do enjoy going to a gym. I did when I worked offshore. Each to our own and I did not mean to imply otherwise.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Bob.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.