Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cost of Private English Lessons - Guideprice in Andalucia

Cost of Private English Lessons - Guideprice in Andalucia

Old Sep 18th 2009, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

CharlesB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of Private English Lessons - Guideprice in Andalucia

Can anybody give me an indication of what the hourly rate of private English lessons in Spain are?
Old Sep 18th 2009, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cost of Private English Lessons - Guideprice in Andalucia

Originally Posted by CharlesB
Can anybody give me an indication of what the hourly rate of private English lessons in Spain are?
A few more parametres are needed.

Where in Spain? (Madrid prices are not the same as Costa del Anyoldplace).

Is the teacher qualified with a PROPER teaching qualification? (Not the Mickey Mouse online variety.)

Do you mean cash-in-hand? or proper declared classes with a factura?

One on One classes? or groups?
Old Sep 19th 2009, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Your right, I should have been more specific.

My wife and I are TESOL qualified. Location is in Andalucia, Seville and surrounding towns.

These will be cash in hand classes.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CharlesB
Your right, I should have been more specific.

My wife and I are TESOL qualified. Location is in Andalucia, Seville and surrounding towns.

These will be cash in hand classes.
A qualified teacher in Seville city should be able to get about 15 euros an hour for a one to one class. Your biggest problem will probably be the non-qualified teachers who undercut and only charge about 10 euros an hour for "conversation classes". They give legit teachers a bad reputation as they don't know how to lesson plan or deal with those low-ball questions that students like to thrown in from time to time and most Spaniards will not know what questions to ask to distinguish between a legit teacher and and someone who gives classes just because they are English.

If there are two or more students in the group you can start pushing the price up.

Oh, and watch out for your and your're. You can't get away with that if you are the teacher!!
Old Sep 19th 2009, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Jaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really nice

my son has an honours degree, has your qualifications too and works in laos for abot £4 an hr................its all relative..............
Old Sep 19th 2009, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

I heard Laos is a fantastic place to visit. As you said, it's all relative as I'm sure the cost of living is significantly less.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 8:27 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
A qualified teacher in Seville city should be able to get about 15 euros an hour for a one to one class. Your biggest problem will probably be the non-qualified teachers who undercut and only charge about 10 euros an hour for "conversation classes". They give legit teachers a bad reputation as they don't know how to lesson plan or deal with those low-ball questions that students like to thrown in from time to time and most Spaniards will not know what questions to ask to distinguish between a legit teacher and and someone who gives classes just because they are English.

If there are two or more students in the group you can start pushing the price up.

Oh, and watch out for your and your're. You can't get away with that if you are the teacher!!

Your and Your're ???????

Lessons there are cheap. Nothing less than 25 Euro per hour for a one on one where I live.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Seems they can! Reading in another forum, a member proudly told us how he was a teacher of English in Spain, and in a short paragraph I counted at least ten spelling/grammar mistakes. Teachers ain't what they used to be!
Old Sep 19th 2009, 9:50 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Your and Your`re ? should be your and you`re, a teacher should write or say your or you are surely ?
Old Sep 20th 2009, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Your and Your're ???????

Lessons there are cheap. Nothing less than 25 Euro per hour for a one on one where I live.
Sorry, typo. But I think you understood that, right?

25€ would be quite normal here too, but only for legit businesses who have to declare their income. However, it is difficult for them to get this business as there are so many people not declaring their income and taking cash in hand.

Last edited by Veleta; Sep 20th 2009 at 12:23 am.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
Your and Your`re ? should be your and you`re, a teacher should write or say your or you are surely ?
I don't understand you. What do you mean? Are you talking about contractions not being a correct use of English?? Contractions are used in normal speech and informal written documents, eg "you're".. Contractions are avoided in formal writing, eg "you are". Is that what you were talking about?

"Your" is a completely different word with a different meaning altogether and not appropriate in the sentence "Your right".

Last edited by Veleta; Sep 20th 2009 at 12:42 am.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 4:05 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Seems they can! Reading in another forum, a member proudly told us how he was a teacher of English in Spain, and in a short paragraph I counted at least ten spelling/grammar mistakes. Teachers ain't what they used to be!
I used to visit various TEFL type sites. I just culdn't believe some of the basic grammar questions these people asked.

the odd typo is one thing - and I'm at least as bad as the next person - and on here (and various other 'spain' sites ) I tend not to use upper case much, or even correct punctuation - but on a site for teachers it's a whole different ballgame
Old Sep 20th 2009, 7:16 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand you. What do you mean? Are you talking about contractions not being a correct use of English?? Contractions are used in normal speech and informal written documents, eg "you're".. Contractions are avoided in formal writing, eg "you are". Is that what you were talking about?

"Your" is a completely different word with a different meaning altogether and not appropriate in the sentence "Your right".
I am glad you understand that. ;-)

It was just a little ironic of you to mention crap language courses and giving legit teachers a bad reputation then make an important typo in the explanation, but then you know best. ;-))

Last edited by jdr; Sep 20th 2009 at 7:23 am.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 8:30 am
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I used to pay a recommended and fully qualified teacher to come to our house and teach my daughter and myself 15€ an hour

Jo xxx
Old Sep 20th 2009, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
I am glad you understand that. ;-)

It was just a little ironic of you to mention crap language courses and giving legit teachers a bad reputation then make an important typo in the explanation, but then you know best. ;-))
Understand what? I still don't understand what you are saying.

"a teacher should write or say your or you are surely ?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.