Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The cost of a Pet Passport

The cost of a Pet Passport

Old Apr 1st 2008, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice
Default Re: The cost of a Pet Passport

Originally Posted by linda Coyle
Kitty - you were robbed!! My dog is already chipped, got his rabies vaccine last week - £22.65, just read these messages so phoned my vet. Blood test not necessary to go over (only if you intend to bring pets back), blood test will be £35 - £40 and that's it - don't need to pay for vet to write anything up. I will get the blood test done to make sure the rabies has taken but as I said this is not essential so my passport will be £62.65
How many times has this been covered Re blood tests?
You don't always have 6 months notice that you are returnoing to Uk. People seem to plan well in advance at going but some people, for what ever reaso, have to come back at short notice.. Don't cut corners on the bloood test, Uk are not leniant ( sp) on this. your pet could have had every vaccination and booster going but without the blood it aint getting back in Uk, even if there is the slightest discrepency with the passport that animal will be put on quarrentine with a lot of heatache for you and a bigger bill than the blood test would cost you.
If you are coming back into Uk your pet will need worming ect 24 - 48 hours prior to entry to Uk and proof that it has been done.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

linda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud of

JeanC this is the first thread I have seen on the blood tests and the main purpose of my message was to let KittyKitty know how much I think she was overcharged compared to my vet. I am not cutting corners and as my message said I am getting the blood test done.I have been told many different things regarding the blood test ie, 2 weeks after vaccination, 30 days after then being told it is not essential for going to Spain although essential if pet is returning to Uk. I reckon there will be many people in the same situation as myself (confused with all different advice) so I simply past on what my vet told me this morning
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice

Originally Posted by linda Coyle
JeanC this is the first thread I have seen on the blood tests and the main purpose of my message was to let KittyKitty know how much I think she was overcharged compared to my vet. I am not cutting corners and as my message said I am getting the blood test done.I have been told many different things regarding the blood test ie, 2 weeks after vaccination, 30 days after then being told it is not essential for going to Spain although essential if pet is returning to Uk. I reckon there will be many people in the same situation as myself (confused with all different advice) so I simply past on what my vet told me this morning
Wasn't just aimed at you, the ammount of people on these forums that are getting crap advice from their vets is beyond belief! I think her passports were expensive about £25.00 more than mine were. I just think that the info regarding blood tests is crap.. If you are British you can never say you're not gonna return. Dogs live in excess of 13 years and cats quite regulary over 18 years, that's a long time to say you're never gonna return..
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeanc
Wasn't just aimed at you, the ammount of people on these forums that are getting crap advice from their vets is beyond belief! I think her passports were expensive about £25.00 more than mine were. I just think that the info regarding blood tests is crap.. If you are British you can never say you're not gonna return. Dogs live in excess of 13 years and cats quite regulary over 18 years, that's a long time to say you're never gonna return..
I can agree with some of your comment's but if they were aimed at me I should have said I asked my vet on the basis that I have not intention to return to the UK.

The only way I see myself returning without notice would be if the very worst happened and I was homeless.

Dogs live in excess of 13yrs is correct, but in general you have 6 months to sort something so to say 13 years is irrelivent

I should say I appreciated the advice from my Vet, as to the advice that would have got me striped up if I had gone through with what the OP has done

Last edited by andyrich666; Apr 1st 2008 at 6:25 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andyrich666
I can agree with some of your comment's but if they were aimed at me I should have said I asked my vet on the basis that I have not intention to return to the UK.

The only way I see myself returning without notice would be if the very worst happened and I was homeless.

Dogs live in excess of 13yrs is correct, but in general you have 6 months to sort something so to say 13 years is irrelivent

I should say I appreciated the advice from my Vet, as to the advice that would have got me striped up if I had gone through with what the OP has done
Not gonna get in a slinging match with you about it.. lets just say there are a lot of English dogs dumped when the owner has to return,. My face doesn't "fit " on here, I am soooo obviosly not " in the gang " so my advice is not valid.. Won't bother any more
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Not gonna get in a slinging match with you about it.. lets just say there are a lot of English dogs dumped when the owner has to return,. My face doesn't "fit " on here, I am soooo obviosly not " in the gang " so my advice is not valid.. Won't bother any more
I never meant it like that, why have you chosen to take that attitude, I said I understand your comments, If people dump there dogs thats down to them, I would never do that to mine, but I dont see how 6 months notice is not unreasonable, for me I cant see any reason why I would have to come back without being able to sort this out.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andyrich666
I never meant it like that, why have you chosen to take that attitude, I said I understand your comments, If people dump there dogs thats down to them, I would never do that to mine, but I dont see how 6 months notice is not unreasonable, for me I cant see any reason why I would have to come back without being able to sort this out.
Just trying to point out that it is one job that can be done before you go so why not? people go to Spain full of hopes and dreams and things sometimes go wrong. Business not taking off and running out of money, elderly relatives needing care, children you've left behind having babies and you being pulled back to Uk. If you keep the rabies jabs up to date the blood test does not need repeating so if you needed to come back in a hurry you can. I know vets in Spain are quite a bit cheaper than Uk but, if what everyone says, so are your earnings, so £ for £ the vets, and blood tests, are probably about the same price.
I'm not taking any attitude with you, personaly, it is how I feel every time I answer a question about anything, that's why I rarely bother posting anymore. Anyway that's another thread hijacking, so will stop now
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just trying to point out that it is one job that can be done before you go so why not?
you answered your own question really, for me Its certainly down to price, but hopefully the people who are not sure of there future will heed the advice you have posted and do it fully in the UK.

My dog is my life, Sadly to some but I live for my Dog, when im down he brings me back and I am taking him to Spain becuase I know he will love it there, I see only 2 things that could affect his stay with me and thats Prison or serious illness / Death
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

madcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HereKittyKitty
For anyone who may be interested...this is what it has cost me for a passport from my Vet:-

£21.50 - Microchip
£34.72 - Rabies Vaccination
£93.71 - Blood test 30 days after Vaccination
£68.56 - Passport provided and written up by Vet.

Total = £218.49 per passport.

x 3 for me. jack Russell and 2 cats.
i have 5 dogs and 3 cats so
have paid this X * LOL
but i have gone the whole hog and had the blood tests and everything in case..it doesnt work out and i have to returm..
but i will say my vet has not charged me for the passprt itself and the defra site says there should be no charge for the passport ..

my blood tests were only £85 and i thought that was expensive

microchip £12 50
Rabies £ 35.00
Blood test 85 .00
PASSPORT FREE

SO £132.50 PER ANIMAL..

Some vets charges vary a nd I know that the labs charge a fortune for blood work.

i always phone around for this sort of work..
also spaying and neutoring..in my vets £157 phoning around i can get it for £105. big difference when you have severAL DOGS TO BE DONE..

CAROLE

so in totaL
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice

phoned the Vet to see if a mistake has been made i.e. was the passport cost (£68.50) maybe for all 3 animals? NO, it is a cost to have the passport finalised, written up and the Vets stamp put on it.
Could I have the most expensive Vet in Britain?
3 x £68.50 for what wouldn't amount to more than 10 minutes work
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Red Devil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HereKittyKitty
phoned the Vet to see if a mistake has been made i.e. was the passport cost (£68.50) maybe for all 3 animals? NO, it is a cost to have the passport finalised, written up and the Vets stamp put on it.
Could I have the most expensive Vet in Britain?
3 x £68.50 for what wouldn't amount to more than 10 minutes work
It is a licence to print money, isn't it. I'm obviously in the wrong profession!!