Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The cost of a Pet Passport

The cost of a Pet Passport

Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice
Default The cost of a Pet Passport

For anyone who may be interested...this is what it has cost me for a passport from my Vet:-

£21.50 - Microchip
£34.72 - Rabies Vaccination
£93.71 - Blood test 30 days after Vaccination
£68.56 - Passport provided and written up by Vet.

Total = £218.49 per passport.

x 3 for me. jack Russell and 2 cats.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:44 am

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The cost of a Pet Passport

It sure aint cheap

Luckily for us we only needed to get one passport.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch!

And for those of us in Valencia, you have to maintain your pet passport under Valencian law for dogs - even for dogs bought / found in Spain. Not a lot of people know that!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice

Twyntub is that a yearly vaccination for Rabies?
I am sure I have to get them treated for fleas/ticks before we depart for Spain, but Vet thinks maybe only when coming back to the UK?

Still have the Parrot to attend to, but his quite straight-forward...2 weeks prior a droppings test and sent away to a lab for result. Who knows what that will cost!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Red Devil is an unknown quantity at this point

My vet told me that if you are going to Spain and not bringing the pet back you only need an export form from the vet. She said the passport is needed to bring animals back into the UK. Pet will still need the rabies jab but not the blood test so this will be much cheaper,apparently.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by HereKittyKitty
Twyntub is that a yearly vaccination for Rabies?
I am sure I have to get them treated for fleas/ticks before we depart for Spain, but Vet thinks maybe only when coming back to the UK?

Still have the Parrot to attend to, but his quite straight-forward...2 weeks prior a droppings test and sent away to a lab for result. Who knows what that will cost!
Your pets will still need the yearly rabies and other booster jabs even though they live in Spain, but will only need the blood test if you are going back to the Uk.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Same Difference
Your pets will still need the yearly rabies and other booster jabs even though they live in Spain, but will only need the blood test if you are going back to the Uk.
My vet said if the Animal is not coming back to the Uk it does not need to have everything, can someone confirm that please for a Dog ?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
My vet said if the Animal is not coming back to the Uk it does not need to have everything, can someone confirm that please for a Dog ?
oopss, allready posted sorry, lol
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:17 pm

I dont have any intention of taking my dog back to the UK, but you never know what may happen in the future so best be prepared. I would hate to have to go back without my dog

Also, I still think its better off to have the yearly jabs so he hopefully wont catch rabies.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Same Difference
I dont have any intention of taking my dog back to the UK, but you never know what may happen in the future so best be prepared. I would hate to have to go back without my dog

Also, I still think its better off to have the yearly jabs so he hopefully wont catch rabies.
I think I can prepare for a year in advance, only getting robbed badly would cause me to come back once im there

getting there slowly
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Yes that is what my vet said. If you do have to bring him back later surely you can get a passport in Spain. No point in paying out all that money unless you need to.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Red Devil
Yes that is what my vet said. If you do have to bring him back later surely you can get a passport in Spain. No point in paying out all that money unless you need to.
and they are only 30€ aswell done job, I was told anyway from another forum IIRC
Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

and they are only 30€ aswell done job, I was told anyway from another forum IIRC
Bargain !!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

ZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really nice

If you don't intend to bring your pet back to the UK then the blood test is not a requirement prior to leaving the UK. The cost is much cheaper here in Spain, you could have the test done here but bear in mind you then have to wait six months before re-entry into UK. Don't forget that the rabies vaccination will have to be done every year in Spain, it is only every two years in UK.

For a stray cat that I recently took in, I have had everything done in case we have to go back to the UK. Cost was much cheaper as follows:

Microchip - 15 euros
Rabies vaccination - 15 euros
Blood test - 50 euros

No extra charge for "issuing" the passport. I paid in the region of £200 in total in the UK for the cat I brought over with me.

Check the DEFRA website which details the requirements. You don't have to do flea and tick treatment prior to leaving the UK, only on re-entry to the UK .
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

linda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud of

Kitty - you were robbed!! My dog is already chipped, got his rabies vaccine last week - £22.65, just read these messages so phoned my vet. Blood test not necessary to go over (only if you intend to bring pets back), blood test will be £35 - £40 and that's it - don't need to pay for vet to write anything up. I will get the blood test done to make sure the rabies has taken but as I said this is not essential so my passport will be £62.65

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.