Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cost of living - why so difficult?

Cost of living - why so difficult?

Old Aug 29th 2015, 11:02 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living - why so difficult?

Originally Posted by wilsman77
Look, like for like Budweiser. In Cobham Surrey 1 & 1/2 pints £7.60 CB Cabo Roig €5 = £3.60… £4 less nuff said. Get yourself to Spain.
Man cannot live by beer alone..
Old Aug 29th 2015, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's true that your outgoings increase to match (or to just exceed!) your incomings or your budget.

I guess that's why we all give such different estimates. Some consider a pool & garden essential, some will live in a small apartment. Some need to factor in transport or car, some don't.

You could have a look at this site, but I think it relies on residents updating the data so not sure how accurate it is. I've used it a few times in considering new places. Cost Of Living Comparison
Old Aug 29th 2015, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

The best advice is you will spend the same in euros in Spain as you do in pounds at home.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
The best advice is you will spend the same in euros in Spain as you do in pounds at home.
No it's not, if you eat out & drink alcohol it's way better than just £€ the same. OMG the last time I ate out in Cabo I had a choice of scampi or two pieces of cod & chips and a pint of beer for €5 that's £3.70 I also had a full English breakfast (not at the same time) for €2.9 that's £2.15p…
Old Aug 29th 2015, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Man cannot live by beer alone..
I'm trying
Old Aug 29th 2015, 11:31 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilsman77
No it's not, if you eat out & drink alcohol it's way better than just £€ the same. OMG the last time I ate out in Cabo I had a choice of scampi or two pieces of cod & chips and a pint of beer for €5 that's £3.70 I also had a full English breakfast (not at the same time) for €2.9 that's £2.15p…
Agreed. For instance I was able to have a five course meal with wine included in a decent restaurant for €18 in Spain. In the UK when I go out with 6 of us we are talking about a bill of £250.
I buy a bottle of wine here, I have to be looking for £6-£10 for a decent one. In Spain €2.50 - €3.

Thats just booze ... Car tax €110 in Spain, £180 in UK
"Council Tax" in the UK £1500, in Spain was around €450
Old Aug 29th 2015, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Overall, I would say Spain is 30% cheaper than UK. So if you spend £1,000 a month you will spend €1,000, or £700 in Spain.

If you spend £1,000 a month on full English Breakfasts and scampi and beer then yes, your argument holds true.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 11:36 pm
Banned

MartinAnt is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, but I'm still a bit sketchy, yet my Spaniard would at least have a clue about coming to the UK ; )

Maybe you can help if I gave you a bit more as to my specific circumstances:

- Income circa £25k Net of all UK taxes, expenses and everything else
- Family of 3, wife and 8-year old
- Assuming rent of about 700eu to be included in income
- Run a car
- Modest lifestyle
- Flexible as to where we live. Don't anticipate living in expensive city, though not middle of nowhere
- Go back to the UK once or twice a year
- Eat out on occasion

I think that's about it. Very average.

Last edited by MartinAnt; Aug 29th 2015 at 11:38 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinAnt
Thanks guys, but I'm still a bit sketchy, yet my Spaniard would at least have a clue about coming to the UK ; )

Maybe you can help if I gave you a bit more as to my specific circumstances:

- Income circa £25k Net of all UK taxes, expenses and everything else
- Family of 3, wife and 8-year old
- Assuming rent of about 700eu to be included in income
- Run a car
- Modest lifestyle
- Flexible as to where we live. Don't anticipate living in expensive city, though not middle of nowhere
- Go back to the UK once or twice a year
- Eat out on occasion

I think that's about it. Very average.
Ant man it would be easier compiling BP's Statutory Accounts than trying to work out what's involved in calculating your Spanish living costs. You need to tell us specifically what you eat and drink breakfast lunch dinner and snaks how many hours a day the household will be inhabited (to accurately calculate heating costs wear and tear in furniture) in order to set readonable depreciation rates and apply them.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 11:51 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Well, aside from electricity and water, about the only things more expensive than the UK are British imports. A jar of Patak's that costs 98p at Morrison's will set you back about €4. But otherwise, most things are cheaper. Especially the vices; alcohol and fags.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 11:59 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, but I'm still a bit sketchy, yet my Spaniard would at least have a clue about coming to the UK ; ).
That is only in your opinion and your large broadband estimate would be useless to a Spaniard moving to UK.
There are many examples on this forum from people giving real examples of their cost of living, which you seem to have ignored?
Have you never been to Spain and compared the prices in the shops?
++++++++
8 year old schooling in a private school?
Private health insurance?

Last edited by missile; Aug 30th 2015 at 12:02 am.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 12:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If a Spaniard asked me of the UK, how much do I need to live for a family of 4, I think I could give a pretty succinct answer? Assuming no rent, you'd scrape by on £10k a year, but it would be hard.
Family of 4 on £10k a year?!? No way I could do that in the UK. Ignoring our mortgage, our monthly household bills are just over £1000 a month, and that's before any other expenses such as cars, school lunches, after school activities, clothes/shoes, birthdays, days/meals out, commuting costs etc.

So clearly every family of 4 is different, as we'd be far more than that - hence why it's hard for anybody to give an answer, as there is no 'one size fits all' figure, no matter which country it's for.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

And which is why i suggested taking current expenditure in the UK and reducing it by 30%.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 12:58 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Agreed. For instance I was able to have a five course meal with wine included in a decent restaurant for €18 in Spain. In the UK when I go out with 6 of us we are talking about a bill of £250.
I buy a bottle of wine here, I have to be looking for £6-£10 for a decent one. In Spain €2.50 - €3.

Thats just booze ... Car tax €110 in Spain, £180 in UK
"Council Tax" in the UK £1500, in Spain was around €450
This is the type of issue where we end up with the differences regarding living expenses because my car tax is 45 euros a year. Depends on the car but also depends on what the town hall has decided to charge so this can vary greatly from area to area.

I eat out more in Spain than I did in the UK because it is cheap to do so. As a non smoker who does not drink I have no idea how much another person may spend on these items so I will not hazard a guess as this could be very misleading.

Some of us believe that it is easily possible to live on 1000 euros a month whilst others believe that this is necessary for a week.

Costs for an ordinary town house in an inland town including running a car and other normal expenditures 12000 a year. Small villa, no pool probably 15000 per year. Larger villa with pool in an urbanisation for 25 - 30 thousand and continuing on upwards depending on what is available.

Children obviously need a variety of outlets. One family that I know spend 60 euros per week for each child purely on their activities such as horse riding, swimming, music lessons etc. Whilst another family only spend money on the internet and make sure that their childrens activities are running, walking, cycling etc which are free.

Buying the basic food and living like a Spanish person is much cheaper that trying to continue to eat all of the English goods that you are used to.

Another example of differences in cost is the fact that some people spend money on gaining English TV whereas I myself only have Spanish TV.

Rosemary
Old Aug 30th 2015, 1:54 am
Banned

MartinAnt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rosemary
This is the type of issue where we end up with the differences regarding living expenses because my car tax is 45 euros a year. Depends on the car but also depends on what the town hall has decided to charge so this can vary greatly from area to area.

I eat out more in Spain than I did in the UK because it is cheap to do so. As a non smoker who does not drink I have no idea how much another person may spend on these items so I will not hazard a guess as this could be very misleading.

Some of us believe that it is easily possible to live on 1000 euros a month whilst others believe that this is necessary for a week.

Costs for an ordinary town house in an inland town including running a car and other normal expenditures 12000 a year. Small villa, no pool probably 15000 per year. Larger villa with pool in an urbanisation for 25 - 30 thousand and continuing on upwards depending on what is available.

Children obviously need a variety of outlets. One family that I know spend 60 euros per week for each child purely on their activities such as horse riding, swimming, music lessons etc. Whilst another family only spend money on the internet and make sure that their childrens activities are running, walking, cycling etc which are free.

Buying the basic food and living like a Spanish person is much cheaper that trying to continue to eat all of the English goods that you are used to.

Another example of differences in cost is the fact that some people spend money on gaining English TV whereas I myself only have Spanish TV.

Rosemary
I forgot to add patronising on my other thread to my list of issues some contributors suffer.

Last edited by MartinAnt; Aug 30th 2015 at 2:04 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.